No announcement yet.

Padre of Padre Island Passed Away - Billy Sandifer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes sir. We lost a good one. Capt. Billy is who really sparked my shark fishing interest. Growing up I would walk into Roy’s and see his monster shark catches. That would fire me all up. He’ll be missed by many but we will all continue the pace he set.

RIP amigo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t know how many times we crossed paths on pins but he never was to busy for a quick talk. That man is a legend

Comment

He was a great guide, and an even better story teller. Billy was always happy to see my boys, they thought he was the greatest thing ever. He would talk and they would listen. He will be sorely missed by many!
        RIP Billy.

Comment

I think about him from time to time. I never had a chance to meet him but have distant connection that has kept him close in my mind for years.

I bought, what I believe, was his last bay boat from a buddy of mine. It is called the Don Coyote and I can tell you that the spirit of Billy flowed thru that thing. It was a fish catching machine. Served me well for many years.

I wonder if he'll have a place in a museum anywhere in or around the coast. Hell...if they can have a statue of Selena in Corpus then one of Billy Sandifer in the dunes of PINS should be a no brainer.

Comment

I was deeply saddened by this news yesterday. Billy was an awesome soul and loved that beach more than life itself! I have many stories of Billy from just talking with him on the beach and fishing with him a few tomes. I owe a lot of what I learned about fishing PINS from him. He was a conservationist and a teacher. Always willing to share his wealth of knowledge with thise willing to listen.

The funniest thing I remember about Billy was the fact that for years he had very bad teeth and he never really smiled. One day he came in where I worked and he was a frequent customer. I asked “Hey Billy, what up? Know anything new?” He smiled at me with the biggest smile of pearly white teeth and said, “Got me some teeth”! He was so proud of those dentures. After that you couldn’t wipe that smile off his face if he was on the seashore!

You will be sadly missed Billy! RIP!
            Last edited by captainsling; 03-31-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Rip

Comment

RIP, sad to hear this. He did great things for PINS, he will be missed by many.

Comment

Gonna spend my Easter Sunday - Big Shell PINS - Chasing Florida Pompano with God and Billy. My bid of Adios to the old Waterman!

Comment

RIP Capt. Billy.

Comment

RIP, real life legend.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                        I don’t know how many times we crossed paths on pins but he never was to busy for a quick talk. That man is a legend
                        X2, sad to hear this.
                        RIP Billy.

Comment

RIP...Sandifer...Big Shell will be different.

Comment

Tyler Thorsen probably ran with Billy more then anyone. I loved his post about Billy’s passing:

“Friends of Padre Loses Founder and Mentor

Billy Sandifer, legendary fishing guide and friend and mentor to many lost his battle with cancer this morning March 30th, 2018. His wife Joy and family ask for their privacy at this time. We will definitely be sending off this man in style in many ways. We are so happy that we knocked this year's 23rd Annual Billy Sandifer Big Shell Beach Cleanup out of the park for him with the record number of 1175 volunteers picking up 85 tons of trash, with 17 tons of that being recyclable material. He really was proud of that.

I spoke with Billy last week and told him about various efforts being planned to honor him at the park including either naming the Big Shell Beach "Billy Sandifer Beach" or maybe a bronze statue at the Visitor's Center. He said "It's about the Deed not the Dude, Tyler". Well I said "this is more for the friends you leave behind and Dude, your deeds have been many".

Rest in Peace my friend. Billy Sandifer 6/11/1947 - 3/30/2018.
                            "Life's A Hoot. Get You Some of It. Be Careful, Be Courteous, Be Kind", Capt. Billy L. Sandifer”

Billy and the biggest trout Tyler knows of that he caught in 2004

Comment

RIP. He was well-respected.

Comment

The image of an old salt if there ever was one.

Comment

Working...
                                X