Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
    Spent some time up on the Hilltop this week. Thanksgiving evening through Sunday.

The goal was to get my daughter on a buck with her crossbow and my son on a buck with the .223. Despite the full moon and wind we saw deer on all but one sit.

That’s her on the right. She was bundled up pretty well. [emoji1]

She had her opportunities but let them
    walk. This little buck she calls “Forky” has been a regular while she’s on stand. He’s going to get a chance to grow.

My son killed his first deer a few weeks back, which was a doe. He had his sights set on a buck on this trip. He was hunting a blind with his Grandfather.

He connected on an 82 yard shot on our main food plot on his second sit.

Molly and I heard the shot and knew it had to be him. Walking up to the field he and Papa were kneeling beside the buck talking about the evening hunt. He was proud and ready to tell the story! Buck had three point, no G1’s, and a good sized body. Shot placement was perfect and a lifelong memory was made!

We’ve owned the property since April and I’ve yet to hunt it myself but this has been my best deer season ever. I’m thankful and looking forward to watching the kids continue to grow and make memories here.
    Heck, I would have loved to shoot one like that!

Comment

Man I want to do this so bad I can taste it!

Comment

Just caught up on the read, congrats on the new place and congrats on your son shooting his first and second deer on your new family land.

Comment

Awesome thread love all the progress and memories.

What an amazing first year already.

Comment

Good stuff! I can't wait to see the place in person!

Comment

I made it back up to the hilltop on Thursday to find that the deer have absolutely hammered my food plots.
              They are making the most of it which is awesome.

They are pulling up the radishes and only eating the tops out of most of them.

They are starting to nibble on a few. Must be getting really hungry.

The little kill plot is in the same shape.

The CoonHoods came in. Talked with Haden on the phone and he is a good guy. Very responsive, helpful, and focused on making sure I was taken care of.

Assembly was easy.

Look forward to putting our first protein feeder out tomorrow and having it equipped with CoonHoods!

I’ve got some Boone & Crockett coons do my place will be a good test. I will be reporting on on how well they work.

Also, I’ll be making my first solo sit on the new place in the morning. (Every sit so far has been as a guide for my daughter or son, which has been a great experience.) Hoping to put a doe in the freezer. More to come!
              Last edited by Booner Sooner; 01-04-2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Can't wait to hear how the coonhoods workout! Good luck on filling the freezer!

Comment

Good luck, I bet they are loving the food plots, mine are getting hammered also. Just FYI those are purple top turnips not radishes. I planted a ton of them this yr. they are only eating the tops, not even the pigs are eating the actual turnips.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    Good luck, I bet they are loving the food plots, mine are getting hammered also. Just FYI those are purple top turnips not radishes. I planted a ton of them this yr. they are only eating the tops, not even the pigs are eating the actual turnips.

Good catch on the turnips. For some reason I have a mental block when thinking of turnips. [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
                      Can't wait to hear how the coonhoods workout! Good luck on filling the freezer!

Thanks. I am intrigued with the CoonHoods, for sure!

Comment

Goodluck, may just be the pics but it looks like your gravity tube isn’t oriented between the feeder legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                          Goodluck, may just be the pics but it looks like your gravity tube isn’t oriented between the feeder legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are correct. I’ll get it oriented once I put it out.

Have had four little bucks come through so far this morning. They look healthy. Waiting on a doe.

Last edited by Booner Sooner; 01-05-2019, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Beautiful morning Tagged for the pics!

Comment

Awesome! Look good can’t wait for your results.!

Haden
                              COONHOOD IS A VARMINT GUARD SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR PROTIEN FEEDERS. OUR GOAL IS TO DESIGN A COONHOOD FOR EVERY DIFFERENT BRAND OF PROEITN FEEDER

Comment

Well, the Boss Buck equipped with CoonHoods has been deployed! I placed a game cam closer than normal and put it on video mode. I’m hoping to be able to show the CoonHoods beating the coons into submission!
                                [emoji16]

This is the first time that protein has been fed here and I believe that it will really help the herd in this area. Between the corn, food plots, and protein they should be better off this next year and beyond. To those that say I’m feeding bucks for my neighbors to shoot I say, no worries. We are here investing for the long term. Playing the long game will benefit my kids and my close friends. I know it will be a good while but I’m excited to see how things improve as we address nutrition as much as we can and work to bring the sex ratio into more of a balance.

As I walked to the stand this afternoon I bumped 9 deer off the set. By sunset I had three juvenile bucks eating. Two of the three had greeted on my morning sit. [emoji3] Looks like I needed to get on stand about an hour earlier.

Didn’t connect this weekend but it was awesome to having my first solo sits on our new place knowing that the deer I let walk will likely be enjoyed next season.

Thanks following along on our journey.

Comment

Working...
                                X