No announcement yet.

So, the quail hunters killed the longer deer season in the north zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for the quail. They have been struggling for the last couple decades and last thing they need is more attention and money diverted from them over to more deer hunting. Deer numbers arent hurting habitat for deer arent hurting. As long as we can keep quail as a sought after resource worth something we will continue to see money dumped into trying to keep there numbers up by managing for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
      can someone post a link as to what this is about? I cannot find any thing on tpwd. Everything I see has it ending the third weekend in January.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        Man OP! For you not to have a dog in this hunt, you sure do have some strong opinions.
        Before MLDP, our season ended in the first week of January like most people's. I have always thought it was wrong that the south zone got an extra two weeks. I saw far more mature bucks later in January this year than prior to that. Those deer would have been off limits had we not been MLDP. I see this as a money play, by people similar to the ones who got that extra two weeks in the south zone. I just think that's wrong even though it doesn't impact me.

Comment

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
            Because over 90% of the responses to the the extended season were positive, yet they went against it in favor of a vocal minority with $$$$$$$. That's elitist in my book.
            I was going to mention this as well.

Per the Houston Chronicle TPWD received over 3,000 comments and 91% were in favor of.

How can handle of hunters who chase a bird with an already dwindling population hold 750,000 hunters hostage like this?

Comment

but the buddies of this elitist bunch succeeded in squashing the longer season. We need a purge of that board.
              I don't really understand this........ if they are elitist, then they are probably hunting their own ranch and/or atleast on premier ranches. Either way there hunting would not be affected by any other hunters, since they would have control of the property. So why would they care if guys are out deer hunting while they are out quail hunting, the deer hunters aren't going to get in their way.

The elitist quail hunter is not hunting public land or day leases

Comment

I have a hard time bagging on fellow hunters, especially when deer season is still as long as it is. I've always got hogs, too. Quail only hunters don't have many off season options other than sporting clays - at least that I am aware.

Plus, we need to be increasing the ranks of future hunters and quail hunters have friends and children, too.

Comment

I saw far more mature bucks later in January this year than prior to that. Those deer would have been off limits had we not been MLDP
                  That may be the reason for the shorter season in north Texas...... those deer are drown down from the cold weather and rut. They are probably hitting wheat fields, oat fields, and edges of roads pretty heavily to try and recover their body conditions. They are easier to kill and maybe TP&W see that as a long term problem.

Comment

According to the article 30,000 quail hunters hunted in the 30 county South Zone which somehow they were able to miraculously pull off their hunts with the already in place extended season.

However, the 36,000 quail hunters in the 226 county North Zone just couldn't keep their Orvis panties from getting in a tangle over extending the season to match the season in the South Zone.

Sounds like some BS to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                      That may be the reason for the shorter season in north Texas...... those deer are drown down from the cold weather and rut. They are probably hitting wheat fields, oat fields, and edges of roads pretty heavily to try and recover their body conditions. They are easier to kill and maybe TP&W see that as a long term problem.
                      That may be true. But then they shouldn't lump deer and deer hunters in those areas with deer and deer hunters in, say, east TX.

I will say that this debate doesn't mean much to me since my lease is MLDP, but the principle of the politics ****** me off.

Comment

No one is going to mention how skewed the line between North and South is (226 counties vs 30) and that a large portion of the North Zone has an earlier rut, earlier drop and more upland bird habitat on top of vastly different range and herd conditions from South Texas? Highway 90 is pretty dang far South.

The sensible thing to do would be create a central zone or something to that effect or move the line to I-10 to cover a bigger area. This could cover the Hill Country and other high deer density areas. Texas already has a 3-4 month deer season so its not like there aren't opportunities.
                        Last edited by tex8569; 03-29-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          I was going to mention this as well.

Per the Houston Chronicle TPWD received over 3,000 comments and 91% were in favor of.

How can handle of hunters who chase a bird with an already dwindling population hold 750,000 hunters hostage like this?

Kind of reminds of of when Antler Restrictions first came to Polk County. The public hearings I sat in were overwhelmingly against it. I guess they have to ask the public simply as a symbolic gesture, then they do what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by tex8569 View Post
                            No one is going to mention how skewed the line between North and South is (226 counties vs 30) and that a large portion of the North Zone has an earlier rut, earlier drop and more upland bird habitat on top of vastly different range and herd conditions from South Texas? Highway 90 is pretty dang far South.

The sensible thing to do would be create a central zone or something to that effect or move the line to I-10 to cover a bigger area. This could cover the Hill Country and other high deer density areas. Texas already has a 3-4 month deer season so its not like there aren't opportunities.
                            And Texas already has a 4-month season on quail that we are told are in decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                              According to the article 30,000 quail hunters hunted in the 30 county South Zone which somehow they were able to miraculously pull off their hunts with the already in place extended season.

However, the 36,000 quail hunters in the 226 county North Zone just couldn't keep their Orvis panties from getting in a tangle over extending the season to match the season in the South Zone.

Sounds like some BS to me.
                              BINGO. It is BS.

Originally posted by tex8569 View Post

In the other thread that died, I suggested making I-20 the dividing line instead of 90. This would put the entire Hill Country in the extended zone but still keep Panhandle, etc available for quail. I'm sure there are other roads that could be used as well if 20 is "too far north". Or make it by county like other species, seasons, etc.

I'm still all for the extended season for the whole state as I view the quail argument, antlers dropping, neighbors shooting "my deer" as very week and short sighted.

Comment

I blame it all on Trump and the Russians!

Comment

Working...
                                X