Conscious Sedation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
    I went in for oral surgery and had all my top teeth taken out at one time. Surgeon asked me if I wanted to be awake or asleep. I said knock me out doc. Woke up a few hours later and a little groggy. Wife drove me home and a few Tylenols all was fine. Dentures fit fine after all the swelling went down. Best decision I have could have made.

I did the same, except with a local shot. Once all teeth were yanked they slammed the upper plate in and told me not to take it out until a follow up visit the next day..... good times

And yes, best decision I’ve made concerning my teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
      Is that with IV sedation or just the pill? I think mine is just a pill of some sort. I have to pick up scripts in the morning.
      It's the pill.

Comment

Originally posted by sunsethunter View Post
        Basically you will be awake (though groggy) and able to communicate but then won't remember afterward. They usually use a combination of Fentanyl and Versed. Versed has a weird property where it erases short term memory.
        In a nutshell

Most people "think" they were asleep but the amniotic effect of Versed is the cause of that

Some people will carry on conversations the whole time and never remember it. Come in next time and swear they were put completely out

Byron has a good point about CO2 levels and length of your procedure

Comment

I’ve got to be there at 8 this morning so I’ll figure out more about what and how this is all going down. I appreciate the input so far.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Had a hypnotherapist friend who was able to put herself under without any drugs while getting dental work done. I've never been able to get myself into that much of a trance.

Comment

Interesting info from some of you guys...

I do conscious sedation at work for procedures and work at a hospital. Its a big, well known hospital and we dont do any type of end tidal co2 monitoring. Id be more interested in who is doing the sedation and monitoring. Is it a nurse or an anesthesiologist?

Comment

Gee, a combination of Fentenal and Versed, at least if you die you can rest easy knowing you imitated Michael Jackson!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                    Gee, a combination of Fentenal and Versed, at least if you die you can rest easy knowing you imitated Michael Jackson!!!!
                    Michael Jackson was into Propofol same stuff that they give you when you have a Colonoscopy.

Comment

Some of y’all are less than helpful ��! Looks like 1mg of Ativan before I go in and then another pill that starts with V before they start. Sound like enough to folks in the know? Said the first hour is to get me good and sedated. Sure hurt to pay for it this morning! Hopefully that was the most painful part.

Comment

Conscious sedation? I do that every weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

I do conscious sedation at work for procedures and work at a hospital. Its a big, well known hospital and we dont do any type of end tidal co2 monitoring. Id be more interested in who is doing the sedation and monitoring. Is it a nurse or an anesthesiologist?
                          I do conscious sedation at least a couple of times per week in the ER. ETCO2 is mandatory when we do. 1 RT, 2 MDs and 1 RN are also required to be present.... MD pushes the sedation meds, RT monitors airway and RN monitors vital signs.

-Highly Respected since 2014
                          Last edited by nursejenn; 03-26-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Went in a few years ago for about 8 hours of dental work. Took a pill about 8:45 AM. Nurse came in about 9:15 and asked how I was doing. Nothing, so another pill and put on the first “Bourne” movie. Woke up in my bed the next morning not remembering one thing that had happened in the past 22 hours.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I’m back in for about 3 hours worth of work. Nurse asks me what I want to put on the TV. I tell her to put Bourne back in as I don’t remember watching it the first time. She just laughed and told me that I had watched all three!

Never again. I’m surprised I woke up with both of my kidneys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What kind of dental work are you getting done for 5 hours?? That sounds miserable. I had a root canal done a couple of weeks ago, local anesthetic and about an hour later, I was good to go (but couldn’t move the left side of my face haha)

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

Yikes!!!! Which department do you work in? Years ago I used to find “no monitoring” in a location or two in Hospitals. Found one in Austin. Endoscopy Dept.....however, all of the other departments were using ETCO2 cannulas. Then, if you visit an off-site Endoscopy Center I do not know of any that do not monitor. Most of the surgeries are 20-25 minutes. If someone is pushing Anesthesia Meds then the Patient should be monitored. Dental locations are less motivated to do it due to costs. However, I sell to a bunch of Oral Maxillofacial locations that monitor during each procedure. Nurse Jen could chime in on this more......but Respiratory Failure can occur due to the CO2 levels being too high. Oxygen levels may look fine and then failure occurs rapidly. It occurs because no one was watching the CO2 levels. Then they have to bag the Patient. I am not a Doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.....only once.

Comment

Working...
                                X