No announcement yet.

Live snake hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do with the ones you catch ?

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Ya done lost yo dam mind!! But I’m in and watching.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          What do you do with the ones you catch ?
          These are going to the snake hunt in Waynoka, Oklahoma. I'll probably take some to the snake hunt in Okeene,Oklahoma too.

Comment

I just cut the head off a heavy 5' Diamondback with my pocket knife. High striking SOB trying to get the clamps on her neck in the brush. Hunting near Raymondville this weekend, brilliant colors, she's full of eggs.

Comment

One of those I caught earlier might be a Western Massasauga. It looked darker in color but I didn't pay much attention. I was trying to cover a lot of ground before the sun went behind the clouds because I knew it'd start cooling off pretty quick once it did. I figured I'd catch a few that were heading back under ground but I didn't see anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                One of those I caught earlier might be a Western Massasauga. It looked darker in color but I didn't pay much attention. I was trying to cover a lot of ground before the sun went behind the clouds because I knew it'd start cooling off pretty quick once it did. I figured I'd catch a few that were heading back under ground but I didn't see anymore.

Any pointers on catching rattlers? I just happen to run across them every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hell no I'm chicken...

Comment

Ww see a rattler every once in awhile. If I were to get one what would be the best and easiest method for someone to clean and eat it to see what they taste like?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      Any pointers on catching rattlers? I just happen to run across them every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I mainly catch them in prairie dog towns here but when I'm huntin Diamondbacks it's out of dens. Gypsum sink holes is a good spot to look for them. Also on the South side of rocky bluffs. You'll rarely find a den on the North side of a hill. Old cisterns,cellars or under the foundation of old buildings are other good places for dens.

When I'm catching them I'm always careful about not letting my shadow sweep the hole I'm about to look in before I get there. I've had snakes get away because of that.

Once they leave the dens they'll be looking for food. Junk yards or around any old buildings are good places to look. I start flipping tin and looking under junk when I start seeing them out on the roads.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 03-24-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                        Ww see a rattler every once in awhile. If I were to get one what would be the best and easiest method for someone to clean and eat it to see what they taste like?
                        Just cut up the center of the belly all the way down and get the skin worked loose at the end you cut off and start pulling. The skin comes right off then you just scoop the innards out and wash the meat off and it's ready to cook.

I prefer smoked rattlesnake over fried. There's a lot of bones in it and smoking the meat seems to make it way easier to eat.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 03-24-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Glad you are having better luck than we did. My best den got raided by something, I'm assuming a badger and there is now no sign of a snake anywhere, my 2nd best den is under an old house and for some reason we didn't catch a single snake out of there either. Roamed lots of southern cliffs with holes and never found a snake. I'm wondering if it hasn't been warm enough for our snakes to leave the dens completely?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            Glad you are having better luck than we did. My best den got raided by something, I'm assuming a badger and there is now no sign of a snake anywhere, my 2nd best den is under an old house and for some reason we didn't catch a single snake out of there either. Roamed lots of southern cliffs with holes and never found a snake. I'm wondering if it hasn't been warm enough for our snakes to leave the dens completely?
                            That could be man. Today is the best day I've had so far. Last year I had a lot more by the 2nd week of March. I caught 8 today and had 6 already. That's not very good compared to how I did last year. Another few warm days and it'll really pick up. 8 in a day out of a prairie dog town isn't bad but on a good day I'll get 8 way easier than what I did today. Normally once they really start coming out it's not uncommon for me to catch 12 or 13 on average and 20+ on a good day.

If I had seen as many big ones as I did baby snakes I would have had a pretty good pile of them.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 03-24-2018, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Oh he...llll naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Comment

Obviously you guys have a ton of snakes !

Comment

Working...
                                X