No announcement yet.

Another theft help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To bad you didn't have the camera that took a picture of you and your bride out when they took it or the deer that thing takes great pictures

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      Best of luck.. I hope they find it.

You may want to consider cutting your losses on that place!!! Shooting a big buck isn't worth this much stress and drama.. It just ain't...

I am considering it. Shooting a big buck has never really been anything I cared much about but I have enjoyed having my own private place that I (thought) I was solely in control of. Turns out it looks like thieves are in control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

This is brutal. And I guess the deer head or poacher never surfaced either? I'm shocked no one has sang. Are your neighbors aware of the situation? Do they keep an eye on things at all?

We have video cameras up in most areas but not all around the house. And when we had issues we hid a camera not near the house, but on the road to get license plate numbers. Pictures of people and cars are pretty much worthless without a plate number to know where to start looking. I'm a home builder and I now strongly push any client who wants a video security system to add /run a camera to a tree or flowerbed near the street to get plate numbers of every car that drives by. The crooks WILL case the place before they rob it. And having a time stamp helps catch them.

Good luck. Don't get off the place yet. Catch this guy and I bet life gets back to normal. If not, bait him with another machine with a GPS tracker and a few cameras. And he may lead you to your ranger and deer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
          This is brutal. And I guess the deer head or poacher never surfaced either? I'm shocked no one has sang. Are your neighbors aware of the situation? Do they keep an eye on things at all?

We have video cameras up in most areas but not all around the house. And when we had issues we hid a camera not near the house, but on the road to get license plate numbers. Pictures of people and cars are pretty much worthless without a plate number to know where to start looking. I'm a home builder and I now strongly push any client who wants a video security system to add /run a camera to a tree or flowerbed near the street to get plate numbers of every car that drives by. The crooks WILL case the place before they rob it. And having a time stamp helps catch them.

Good luck. Don't get off the place yet. Catch this guy and I bet life gets back to normal. If not, bait him with another machine with a GPS tracker and a few cameras. And he may lead you to your ranger and deer.

No part of the deer has ever showed up. The neighbors are aware but one of the problems is, I highly suspect an adjacent neighbor. We do have some really good neighbors that do keep an eye on things but there’s just not enough of them.

Yesterday as I was waking the fence line where they cut in I thought about setting up a camera at the road to just start recording every car that comes by. Then my second thought was, they are going to steal it too. If I could figure out a camera that would be seen as they pass by I just might try this. I’d bet whoever did it passes by on a regular basis.

Comment

That is a shame, it definitely sounds like a local that has trespassed before to know you kept your Ranger there unless you could see it from the road.

It doesn't help you at all but my friend owns a small farm in NE Ohio and one year he had about 15 stands and camera's stolen, then later that summer while he was in SD hunting mule deer someone stole his Ranger (it was parked under a carport and chained down). Never found, but luckily he had it insured. A neighbor farmer caught some kids, well 20 somethings, trying to steal his tractor and it turns out it was all them. They had moved in the year before and figured the country folks were easy to steal from. The farmer held them at gun point until the sheriff came. I hope they changed their tune after that but I doubt it.

One tactic he used was he found a broken trail camera for a few dollars on eBay, put it out kind of easy to spot then he hid one up a tree hoping to catch someone stealing the fake. He did get a picture but just from the back so the sheriff couldn't use it.
            Last edited by stickbowcoop; 03-30-2018, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
              That is a shame, it definitely sounds like a local that has trespassed before to know you kept your Ranger there unless you could see it from the road.

It doesn't help you at all but my friend owns a small farm in NE Ohio and one year he had about 15 stands and camera's stolen, then later that summer while he was in SD hunting mule deer someone stole his Ranger (it was parked under a carport and chained down). Never found, but luckily he had it insured. A neighbor farmer caught some kids, well 20 somethings, trying to steal his tractor and it turns out it was all them. They had moved in the year before and figured the country folks were easy to steal from. The farmer held them at gun point until the sheriff came. I hope they changed their tune after that but I doubt it.

One tactic he used was he found a broken trail camera for a few dollars on eBay, put it out kind of easy to spot then he hid one up a tree hoping to catch someone stealing the fake. He did get a picture but just from the back so the sheriff couldn't use it.

You can see the Ranger from the road but is was always completely covered while I was gone. Stupidly I’ve thought that things were really safe out here in my little paradise, behind a 10 foot locked fence. But like I said, I was stupid to think that.

It just so happens the property next door (who II think poached my buck) there are three teenage boys who all live in that house by themselves. They and their parents have all been in trouble with the law in the past.

I like the idea of setting up a decoy (and I have another one) with a GPS tracker, but I really need to figure out the camera issue. I’ve set up security cameras in my house and my office myself so I don’t have a problem doing it but I can’t figure out how to do it way out at the road, and it not be spotted.

Comment

Chew? Any suggestions?

Comment

I had my 4 wheeler stolen when I was a kid. Police found it like 10 years later... it was a Polaris sportsman 90. By the time they found it I was 20 and much too big for it. It was totaled. Praying you have better luck.

Comment

Do you have cell service out there? If so get a camera that sends the pics to your phone or computer. That way if they steal it you still have pics. Maybe one of the cameras that has a different receiver from the actual camera also.
                    Hope you catch them !

Comment

set up 2 cameras... just make the one facing everything a dummy cam. They will steal the dummy cam but you can hide the real camera facing the dummy cam... that make any sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                        You can see the Ranger from the road but is was always completely covered while I was gone. Stupidly I’ve thought that things were really safe out here in my little paradise, behind a 10 foot locked fence. But like I said, I was stupid to think that.

It just so happens the property next door (who II think poached my buck) there are three teenage boys who all live in that house by themselves. They and their parents have all been in trouble with the law in the past.

I like the idea of setting up a decoy (and I have another one) with a GPS tracker, but I really need to figure out the camera issue. I’ve set up security cameras in my house and my office myself so I don’t have a problem doing it but I can’t figure out how to do it way out at the road, and it not be spotted.

I had a trailer stolen in a neighborhood from a house I was building. I asked a neighbor if I could put one on their property. They said yes. I put it across the street at the bottom of a tree an piled branches and stuff around the strap. I also screwed it to the tree just to make it that much harder to steal, but they could still steal it. It sat there for 3 months undetected. I had another up a tree that required you to have a ladder to get it off. Neither were spotted. It can be done, just get creative. Too bad cell service is so bad there or you could use one of those cameras that text you in real time

Comment

Sorry for the loss....nothing worse than a dam theif!

Glad you found some pics..even if it does not help Law Enforcement, it's much better to have for the insurance company. By the way...for those who don't carry insurance on their toys, it's really cheap and will get you at least some $$ back for the next one!!

Comment

I think I have a couple of old worthless Moultres game cams if you would like them as bait.

Comment

It's not that hard to hide a TC were it won't be seen. Climb a tree and stash it up high facing down towards your rd.I have a couple old cams you could use as bait as well.

Comment

Has anyone seen or heard anything of a Polaris Ranger being used or sold that fits this description? I’m not giving up.

Comment

Working...
                                X