Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tiny's taxiderm View Post
    Short and sweet and to the point...

This job is at a vessel shop, they just signed a contract with the union to get more workers because all the temp agency's workers were at other jobs, or sucked... I worked for this company a year ago, full time employee, the offer I received from the union is $9 more an hour. My wife is the worried one, all I see is $$$. The reason I quit a year ago was because if 7 days a week every week 12 hour days... it's not that I don't like overtime, but it gets old constantly beeing threatened that if you don't show up on Sunday you will be done.. Union has in there contract 40 hours, overtime if employee wants but not mandatory...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Reassure momma by sharing the details of the contract and go forward and be the exception to the rule! Excel and let the rest of the non sense fall by the wayside! Congrats on being able to have choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
      OK ready...Deep breathe.
      Unions deliver higher wages and benefits and bring a higher standard of living. Down sides to some unions is they protect the trash of your trade. They don't perform, but they make and receive the same as you. Another downside is EVERY politician that supports unions is basically anti gun and anti hunter. It forces you to have to keep your mouth shut if you are pro gun and pro hunt. Sometimes unions force you to give your money in donations to people who wish destroy what you love and hold dear. Just so you keep your job(they never say it, but the thought hangs).
      The pros.
      My experience if your a loyal soldier, and you walk lock step with them. You can make money. That is why I wake up every morning, to earn. I did it for a while. I have been in the IBEW for 33 years and I have not wanted for my family at all. I got married, bought a house, raised 3 sons, own 3 pieces of land in two states. My medical, dental and RX have all been taken care of. Copays are $30 but big deal. RX $5. I have a Pension, hourly Annuity and a 401K(matched up to 7%) all paid for by my employers the last 33 years. Full workers compensation and all the training I want for free. I have not always worked full years due to lack of work and injuries. But the way my union had it set up was myself and many others getting by without losing their home while unemployment was rampant with a work sharing program. Even though I have union representation, it does not mean I have a guaranteed job. It is construction, and if you do not perform, you do not work. After 3 bad layoffs, my union makes you go out and get your own job and prove you can hold a job for 6 months and come back and MAYBE they will reinstate you. Its a union, but if you don't work and get into trouble. You don't become employed. That simple. They find us work. Can't find your own.
      There was a time when there was no workplace safety and rules. That us where unions shined and every employee in the country whether union or not benefited from them. Like the 40 hour work week and the weekend. OSHA. NIOSH. Brought to you by unions.
      Approx 9% of the workforce in the USA is Union.
      Horrible part, for all the good unions do; they are associated with the scum of Washington that support illegal immigration who I must now compete with for jobs. I have taken a down grading within my union because of my pro gun pro hunt pro NRA conservative stance. I have a only a few more years until I retire so. No big deal.
      My union says vote with your wallet. I say what good is a job without a country?
      Very well said. We share the same ideology! Before I hired on with AA in 1990 I was a "scab" commercial journeyman electrician and was taught to despise you guys!

Comment

There’s good and bad to all. I’m non union and get breaks and my pay is more then the union.

I have two union subs on my job and they don’t take breaks. So I’m not sure what the break comment in post 14 was all about.

Comment

Is the job a Union job ..meaning its working for a UNION? like you get paid by the union to work for the union doing union ****?
          Thats a dream job.
          other than that... depends on the union, work, pay, and how much you are able to stand watching others less deserving, less skilled, and less ambitious make the same as you.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dale Moser;13261147]It's all a matter of conscience...and what you can live with...

They are the biggest enemy of 2nd amendment rights, republicans, and efficiency.

Just curious what your point is about "it's a matter of conscience...and what you can live with" and where did you get information that they are a enemy of 2nd amendment?

Comment

I cant add much, been on both sides. Worked for a union shop 1996-2002. It was unreal the stuff that people got away with. I was a bit embarrassed to be lumped in with a lot of the other employees, but in the end I was there to make a living. I went there initially for the money ( a raise ). But after a few years it held me back financially. You can only make so much no matter how good you are, or how hard you work. Around 2002 I realized my skill level had stagnated, as had my pay. I had no way to get a raise because I was topped out. Knowing this, along with the fact that almost everyone else made the same, regardless of productivity prompted me to quit. I took a pretty big paycut to leave. Within 2 yrs my pay was over what I had been making at the union shop. Within 4 yrs I was making about 40% more.

If you are there for the money, want to keep your head down and just make a living, then go for it. If you want to excel and make something of yourself, well, you wont really need anything the union has to offer......

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                I cant add much, been on both sides. Worked for a union shop 1996-2002. It was unreal the stuff that people got away with. I was a bit embarrassed to be lumped in with a lot of the other employees, but in the end I was there to make a living. I went there initially for the money ( a raise ). But after a few years it held me back financially. You can only make so much no matter how good you are, or how hard you work. Around 2002 I realized my skill level had stagnated, as had my pay. I had no way to get a raise because I was topped out. Knowing this, along with the fact that almost everyone else made the same, regardless of productivity prompted me to quit. I took a pretty big paycut to leave. Within 2 yrs my pay was over what I had been making at the union shop. Within 4 yrs I was making about 40% more.

If you are there for the money, want to keep your head down and just make a living, then go for it. If you want to excel and make something of yourself, well, you wont really need anything the union has to offer......
                I better add this so people dont get offended. This is just my experience, yours may differ. I have worked for large shops, small shops, union, non-union, salary, hourly, manual labor and management so I have been on both sides.

Comment

If youre in a manufacturing job, and you get paid well, with decent benefits, overtime after 40hrs, thank the union. They did that. But like others have pointed out, they keep dirtbgs employed. Catch 22. And for the record i dont pay any dues at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    Employed by a Union Job is better than not being employed at all.

I'm not a fan of Unions though.

This^^^^

Being in a Union is not horrible. If I liked the job, then the fact that there is a Union involved wouldn't stop me. IMO most Unions are political slanted to the left. Just know that as well.

Comment

Have they found this guy yet?
                      Attached Files

Comment

12 years for me so far in the utu. I will never be a good union guy I won't vote for trash politicians they endorse. Other than that no problems.

Comment

What local Union?
                          What is the job?
                          Is it a skilled craft or a peon position?

Big differences here

Comment

Originally posted by RangerRick2012 View Post
                            Have they found this guy yet?
                            Sleeping with the fishes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by texans42 View Post
                              once you have union on your resume, it “can be” difficult to get a job at a non union shop.
                              yup!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                                What local Union?
                                What is the job?
                                Is it a skilled craft or a peon position?

Big differences here
                                Pipefitters local union

Welding pressure vessels
                                Not a peon job that's for sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X