No announcement yet.

Long work commute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove from Long Beach CA to a town just west of San Diego - was 100miles on the dot. I did this for roughly a year and a half 6 days a week.

There were, for me personally, great advantages and disadvantages to this. First off, I loved the alone time. I’d leave about 0300 and make it down there by 0500 no problem to start work at 6. I’d use the extra time to sit and read or take a nap. When I got home I felt very social bc I hadn’t seen anyone for extended periods of time and it was great to have people to talk to. If you have a long drive and don’t have anyone but your wife at home, it may present some challenges - just a thoUght.

The down side was, while it was supposed to be shift work, frequently my 10 hr shift would become 12-15 hours and occasionally it would become 16-24 hrs.

I was relatively lucky bc I was counter flow traffic. In Ca that just means you aren’t at complete standstill for the whole duration. I also had access to multiple routes home, which allowed some flexibility in the event of an accident.

I was a young man then, and it taxed me heavily, and iI was in excellent shape and the labor was very physical. That is a key element in quality of life with a long commute - stay in shape.

Comment

Working...
    X