Knee Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee Replacement

Well for several years now I have been suffering from knee pain. After multiple surgeries, years of injections, and taking daily anti inflammatory and pain drugs I am finally going to have a total knee replacement next month, then the other knee done in Dec.
    So my Questions are
    Who has had it done?
    How long until you returned to work? I don't have a desk job
    What should I expect on total recovery?
    Thanks

I know several people who have had it done and all were pretty close to normal functioning in several weeks
    They will have you up and walking hours after surgery, lots of stretching.

Comment

My Dad had both of his done about 3 years ago he said it was the best thing he ever did for himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following.
        Dealing with same issue. Currently out from on the job knee injury, in knee which has seen full ACL replacement, torn meniscus and torn meniscus root. Arthritis constantly. Wearing huge brace to stabilize knee. Next stop replacement or partial. The last shot I had did help. Good luck to you.
        From what I have read about knee replacements is they are good for 12-15 years, then back under the knife. When your older and it is harder to heal.

Comment

Knee Replacement

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
          Following.
          Dealing with same issue. Currently out from on the job knee injury, in knee which has seen full ACL replacement, torn meniscus and torn meniscus root. Arthritis constantly. Wearing huge brace to stabilize knee. Next stop replacement or partial. The last shot I had did help. Good luck to you.
          From what I have read about knee replacements is they are good for 12-15 years, then back under the knife. When your older and it is harder to heal.
          I know what you are going through. I have had 3 surgeries done on my right knee and 2 on my left. A word of caution on the injections for you they will soften bone and make ligaments brittle. That is what I'm going through now the Doc isn't sure how much bone he will have to remove. and i did a partial MCL tear just getting up from my recliner about a month ago.

Comment

Had my left one done 4 years ago. Having the right one done
            June 13th. I have no regrets at all BUT Hydrocodone is your friend.
            Mine was a very painful recovery but worth it.
            It was a year or so before I felt I was close to normal. I couldn't get down on the knee for a couple years.
            You should be functioning pretty good in 3-4 months.
            Do the rehab, I did all they asked and more.
            Walked 2 1/2 miles 4 mornings a week.
            Really glad I had it done and looking forward to getting the right one done and healed up.
            Doing it in June after I get back from Alaska bear hunt and so
            I can hunt this fall

Comment

My wife has been an ortho surgical nurse for close to 30 years... Technology and quality of replacement has improved drastically over the last 5 or 6 years... The new joints last longer now too from what I understand. The degree of success to a total knee replacement is the rehab. Do EVERYTHING they tell you to do, but don't try to rush it and over-do it... They've been doing this for a long time and the system works if you follow it to a T. You should be 80% or better in 6-8 weeks, but that other 20% will take some time and cannot be rushed... Most people like yourself are so much better off after the surgery that the 80% seems like 100% to them. One note of caution though, don't rush into the second knee until you're comfortable with the first one. Rehab on the second one will go better if you can depend on the first one completely.

You should be just fine!

Comment

Good information to know as I am considering the same thing.

Comment

My mother had it done 17 years ago and did great for the first 10 years. She tore a tendon about 7 years ago and had to have that fixed. Since then she has had 12 knee surgeries due to infection that she just cant get rid of. They take the Knee joint completely out and replace it with a brick infused with antibiotics for 3 months then put a new knee back in. That seems to last about 6 months and the infection comes back and we start this process over. Shes 77, at the present time shes mobile and we are Praying she stays that way.

Comment

The only people I have seen that were sorry they had it done were only a day or so out of surgery. A few weeks later they were glad they did it and wished they had done it earlier.

I kinda wish my femur would have broke higher, and they would have done my hip. It dislocated when I fell, and 17 months past the injury and my hip still giving lots of problems. And I need both knees done, they aint helping with recovery at all. With only having one kidney, I can't take any anti inflamatories.

Comment

My girlfriend had it done last year. Her knee was pretty jacked up after tearing it up two or three times playing sports earlier in her life.

Go ahead and buy one of these:

Ossur Cold Rush Compact with Knee pad is convenient, quiet and easy-to-use, delivering cold therapy when and where you need it.

Get about 6 water bottles and freeze them. Put a few in the unit & fill with water & kick it on. If you just dump ice in the bucket it melts pretty quickly.

It's very quiet and will freeze up your knee in a matter of minutes. I used it after having rotator cuff surgery in October. It may seem a little pricey but after you use it and see how well it works you would pay double for it.

Like the others have said you have to put in the home exercises/rehab all the way. The PT's will know if you don't and there's no fooling them.

She said she was doing them when I knew she wasn't. She only got serious about it when the PT said he was going to manually break the knee on the next visit if she was not at "X" range of motion.

Comment

My 80 y/o Grandfather had it done last year. He said the therapy was brutal, but he was out hunting 4 months later.

Comment

I feel pain behind my knee cap when walking up stairs. Is this the beginning of what will end up in knee replacement later on?

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                            Well for several years now I have been suffering from knee pain. After multiple surgeries, years of injections, and taking daily anti inflammatory and pain drugs I am finally going to have a total knee replacement next month, then the other knee done in Dec.
                            So my Questions are
                            Who has had it done?
                            How long until you returned to work? I don't have a desk job
                            What should I expect on total recovery?
                            Thanks
                            I had it done at age 48. Night and day how I felt. I could barely walk before surgery, awesome after. I am 56 now.
                            I actually started working at 2 weeks, because I could go out to job and sit all day. Everyone else I know it was 6 weeks minimum.
                            I never had an issue. Total recovery will involve what you do. I build stuff, but I point instead of physically doing it. So i had no issues. Do the PT. Something I did that helped with my bending was, I sat on my tailgate and I would lift foot up and let it swing back.
                            Good luck. I would highly recommend doing it

Comment

Anyone ever had both replaced at the same time?

Comment

Working...
                              X