Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Power Pole 8 or 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go with the 10's

Comment

You can deploy a 10’ blade in 7’ of water but you can’t deploy an 8 footer in 9 feet of water! I have a 10’ blade and I often wish I had 2 of them, I often wish I had a Ultrex...but I have NEVER wished my power pole was only 8 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
        You can deploy a 10’ blade in 7’ of water but you can’t deploy an 8 footer in 9 feet of water! I have a 10’ blade and I often wish I had 2 of them, I often wish I had a Ultrex...but I have NEVER wished my power pole was only 8 feet.
        You make a good point!

Comment

10 no doubt. Went with it and it’s nice. Surprised how often I’m in 10’4” water or less and I’m
          Thankful I have the 10’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go with the 10. I have a 10 and the iPilot, and the iPilot does NOT replace the extra length on the PP. On the upper coast, there's lots of 6-8 ft water. You'd think an 8' pole would hold in that, but when you add a little wind and soft muddy bottom that 8' pole won't hold you. Sometimes the 10' pole won't hold you either but usually it will grab.

The iPilot is really nice and we use it a lot on jetties and in channels. But, it doesn't hold as securely as the pole, isn't as quiet as the pole, and allows the boat to swing around quite a bit as it depositions (hate the iPilot in light and variable winds when trying to hold on something specific). Plus, with the iPilot on you end up having to fish from the back of the boat. With the pole down my partner and I can fish on the bow throwing down wind.

Oh, the extra 2 ft is not noticeable in the back and I have zero rattle.

Comment

If they are tight like the are supposed to be they will not rattle. The only issue with our 10 footers is when we are fishing in brush and trees, not terrible but gotta be careful! Like a 16’ bumper pull and a 26’ gooseneck, gotta swing a bit wider!

Comment

Why would you ever settle for an eight over a 10........

Comment

Go with the 10 and sell me your 8 [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                    No man has ever said, I wish I had a smaller power pole

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
                      Go with the 10. I have a 10 and the iPilot, and the iPilot does NOT replace the extra length on the PP. On the upper coast, there's lots of 6-8 ft water. You'd think an 8' pole would hold in that, but when you add a little wind and soft muddy bottom that 8' pole won't hold you. Sometimes the 10' pole won't hold you either but usually it will grab.

The iPilot is really nice and we use it a lot on jetties and in channels. But, it doesn't hold as securely as the pole, isn't as quiet as the pole, and allows the boat to swing around quite a bit as it depositions (hate the iPilot in light and variable winds when trying to hold on something specific). Plus, with the iPilot on you end up having to fish from the back of the boat. With the pole down my partner and I can fish on the bow throwing down wind.

Oh, the extra 2 ft is not noticeable in the back and I have zero rattle.
                      So it sounds like you only drift fish because when I use my spot lock it turns into the wind or current. I usually do not go over my fish and fish out of the back of the boat hell I'm confused

Comment

I have twin 8's on my boat, and really like them but every now and then I wish I would have bought the 10's. but here soon I plan on putting the I pilot on there for when I fish deeper water.

Comment

Another thing about 10s, the height could be an issue in storage.

Also never had much of an issue with the boat blowing around with the ipilot and nearly always have 3 people in the boat. If it moves I take a couple steps and keep fishing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I appreciate all the responses! Seems like we got a good conversation going. I don’t think there is a wrong way to go with this decision; just wanted to see if there were really any negative experiences with the 10’ model.

I’m going with dual 10’ blades and had already decided on the iPilot 2nd gen with spot lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              Another thing about 10s, the height could be an issue in storage.

Also never had much of an issue with the boat blowing around with the ipilot and nearly always have 3 people in the boat. If it moves I take a couple steps and keep fishing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              I have seen that on some forums, but not an issue for me. 16’ doors on the shop.

The iPilot 1st gen is not terrible, but it leaves plenty of room for improvement. When it gets off the spot the motor kicks in high gear and jerks around quite a bit. I’m looking forward to seeing the improvement on the new generation.

Comment

Working...
                              X