Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

JFT Turkey Tour 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Tom's for the lavaca County opener but I did call in 8 jakes. I had one drumming and spitting a circle around the lone Pecan tree I was sitting under.

I had a group of 4 beat the tar out of my dsd jake then one took a liking to my sitting hen....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180402_101840.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	24535541

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2018

Well hell. He gobbled while I tried to let the decoys do the work. I let out one soft yelp and he answered. Som ***** wouldn’t close though . Watched him for 20 minutes strutting at 50-60 yards. He just walked off and is walking around behind me. I can still hear him
      drumming though..

Comment

Worked his way around me and got within 10-15 yards of the back of the popup. He musta got his *** kicked by a jake because he will not finish. Still drumming

Comment

I’m still battling this **** Tom
          And PoPo is on the board!

Comment

We are over 60 gobbles in. I’m frustrated as hell. Turkey being a turkey.

He has been behind me and on both sides at 10-20 yards but will not come in the decoys or in my front window

Comment

PoPo schooling you boys

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2018

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                PoPo schooling you boys

Man I got played like a fiddle today. 80 plus gobbles from the same bird. All he did was strut around my set ... behind me , to the side of me and 60-70 yards in front of me. He’s a **** good bird and smart. I gotta change something up decoy wise. Today I changed it up and added a DSD feeder. I’m thinking of putting my hen on the ground and having my Jake over him or maybe just two hens. I thought last week was bad when I had three gobblers all in view strutting west east and south of me and they all gobbled on a light Yelp or cluck. This sucker was non stop from 4:45-7:00. He circled me twice. He gobbled his head off without me calling. I was playing the silent game so as not to overcall. I’d lightly Yelp or purr every 10-15 minutes just to let him
                know the decoys we’re alive.[emoji23][emoji23]. Finally with frustration after two hours of this ****, at 6:45, I tried to get aggressive with him. Loud and proud yelps and clucks. 2 back to back. He gobbled 5 times in those sequences. Did it again. The same but he never closed. Som *****!! Any thoughts Shane or anybody??
                Last edited by Smart; 04-05-2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Clay W on the board too... 7:58[emoji23][emoji23]

Sombitches!

Comment

You did everting right. He was in top of you gobbling and drumming. Sometime they don’t get on top of the decoys.
                    I’ve had the best luck with the hen on the ground and jake right behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                      You did everting right. He was in top of you gobbling and drumming. Sometime they don’t get on top of the decoys.
                      I’ve had the best luck with the hen on the ground and jake right behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks BC. I think I’m going that route tomorrow am

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Man I got played like a fiddle today. 80 plus gobbles from the same bird. All he did was strut around my set ... behind me , to the side of me and 60-70 yards in front of me. He’s a **** good bird and smart. I gotta change something up decoy wise. Today I changed it up and added a DSD feeder. I’m thinking of putting my hen on the ground and having my Jake over him or maybe just two hens. I thought last week was bad when I had three gobblers all in view strutting west east and south of me and they all gobbled on a light Yelp or cluck. This sucker was non stop from 4:45-7:00. He circled me twice. He gobbled his head off without me calling. I was playing the silent game so as not to overcall. I’d lightly Yelp or purr every 10-15 minutes just to let him
                        know the decoys we’re alive.[emoji23][emoji23]. Finally with frustration after two hours of this ****, at 6:45, I tried to get aggressive with him. Loud and proud yelps and clucks. 2 back to back. He gobbled 5 times in those sequences. Did it again. The same but he never closed. Som *****!! Any thoughts Shane or anybody??
                        When they get like that, I'll sometimes gobble at them. A lot of times that will seal the deal. Hope you get him in the morning.

Comment

Comment

Congrats clay! Decoys have only hurt me this season, I’ve had birds coming in strong, see the decoy and run the other way. My big toms have been without decoys this year but they’re working for buddies. Don’t know what to think
                            Last edited by James; 04-05-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                              Congrats clay! Decoys have only hurt me this season, I’ve had birds coming in strong, see the decoy and run the other way. My big toms have been without decoys this year but they’re working for buddies. Don’t know what to think

Birds up here are more aggressive than back home.

Just stick with it!

Comment

PoPo and I had an awesome evening. Better pics and story to come tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X