• Show
Clear All

Sorry for the sideway pics

Comment

Looking good

Comment

This is cool...IN for the updates

Comment

Looking good. But are you not going to put mortar in between the fire bricks? Seems like the heat would get through and still cause damage to the cinder blocks and concrete if you dont?

Interesting build though and im in for the rest. Never thought of doing something like this, but I bet that smoker will hold heat extremely well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought the fireproof mortar but I read that just packing the bricks nice and tight will work just fine. I'm going to try it without the mortar. I'm also looking into ordering hinges and handles. My only dilemma right now is how to get air flow in the fire pit. I wanted to put a damper system in the firebox door, but I don't have a plasma cutter

Comment

looks good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Update

Finally welded the hinges on a few lids and even put a handle. I only ordered a few extra none to see if they would work. So far so good. I'll order the rest today and hopefully get them on next week
                Attached Files

Comment

Welding skills sukk

My welding skills are sup par, but it holds like a champ. The fire pit door was took tall so I took an inch off and cut out an air I take window. I found some quarter inch ninety degree and goes at lowes so I used them to built a rail for the window. I'm going to get a Texas star drawer handle and add it to the slide window next
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ttt

Comment

You are going to need to weld some angle on the hidden side of the doors etc. for rigidity. Lay is down so you weld each leg of the angle down to the plate. If not, that thin plate will move all over the place on you when heated. I know you won't want to hear this either, but there are much better hinges for your application than the ones used. I would practice on some scrap before you weld on the project anymore. It appears that you are not getting close enough to the work with your tip. Possibly speed issues as well, but I think you need to get that squared away before going any further. Finally, is the hollow block on the right side actually going to be the stack? If so, it may draw; however, I think there are better options as well. Good luck!
                      Last edited by RR 314; 05-14-2018, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Oh, just hit me. Part of your welding woes may be due to utilization of a long light gauge extension cord. Try welding with just the machine plugged in. If that is better then buy a heavier cord.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I didn’t realize having an extension cord would affect the weld. I’ll just keep practicing. Any tips on where to find better hinges? These were the only ones I could find online.

Comment

Looks good. More amps for weld. I welded barges for a lovinf for a while. 1/8 mile leads, had to use 600 amps with 1/8" 6013

Comment

I know it's been a while but I've been slammed at work. I was able to put in some time today. This is where I am so far. Getting closer to finishing this beast.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks awesome Efren!!

Comment

Working...
                                X