No announcement yet.

Any bee swarms out yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a good size hive in the battery box of a old travel trailer in coleman

Comment

Originally posted by bentman View Post
      I got a good size hive in the battery box of a old travel trailer in coleman
      Shoot, that’s gonna be a little too far for me. Thanks, though.

Comment

You can come to Lampasas and take every one that fills up my half full dr. Pepper cans....

Comment

I've got some in a tree in Cleburne if you want em!

Comment

Had em chase me off an open cab dozer back to my truck in Freestone county last weekend. Got stung a couple of times.

Comment

My Traps have been set for a couple of weeks now but no activity yet. I need to go reapply some bait to them. I built them based on recommendations from a bee group on FB. The guy that has been building them has already caught one around Brenham.

Seems like a good idea though!

I did two removals last week but just combined the bees with existing weaker hives (newspaper method). I have found the problem with removals especially in trees is it is so very hard to capture the queen. I've had some success with removals in walls, water meters, tubs in a garage ect. but finding that queen is still difficult.f

If anyone has any they want removed around Lee County (central TX) let me know!

Darren

Comment

Found a swarm that went into one of the upside down trashcans at my shop three days ago. I drilled a hole in it to drain water awhile back and the swarm found it. Didn't have time to mess with it as I guided turkey hunters on Saturday and had to work Sunday so I placed a piece of cutup queen excluder on the entrance and threw some sand around the bottom edge to keep them trapped until I have time to remove them Wednesday before flying out to hunt Osceolas Thursday.....

Comment

If anyone in Bexar, Wilson or Atascosa county finds a swarm or a hive around their property pm me, Id be glad to come help. I have a couple of forced abscond threads and will do a similar one on the trashcan swarm I have trapped Wednesday....

Comment

Hey Masters. When you do a forced abscond do you simply smoke it unit you find the queen? Do you use any honey robber to help them exit?

I've done several with mixed results and its especially difficult to recover all of the bees out of a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                      I’ve put out 4 swarm boxes to try and catch a few honey bee swarms this year. Has anyone seen any swarms yet?
                      Yes! On my commute to Louisiana, I went through Cleveland, Tx and some other small town and encountered more than 1 swarm of bees.

Comment

I still haven’t seen too many.

Comment

Originally posted by Giddings_TX View Post
                          Hey Masters. When you do a forced abscond do you simply smoke it unit you find the queen? Do you use any honey robber to help them exit?

I've done several with mixed results and its especially difficult to recover all of the bees out of a tree.
                          I have bee quick and honey robber. I have never had to use either during a forced abscond. Once you apply it there is no taking it back. Honey robber smells awfully offensive to me, like dirty nasty poor hygiene offensive. Bee quick smells much better but still not great an if either is applied directly to the bees I've been told that it will make them die. Like I said above I generally use pine shaving in my smoker that I buy for $5-6 a bag from tractor supply and the bees respond well. Some are a little slower than others but it seems the slower they are the more honey they have stored and are trying to gobble up as much as they can before rolling out. just takes time and the more experience you acquire doing it the better you will be able judge the bees actions/reactions. When I do a forced abscond I usually spend half the day getting the tree cut and ready to smoke on and the other half of the day smoking the bees out. I then go by the next day and get the hive at sunset. If anyone wants experience and wants to learn you are more than welcome to come by and help but I prefer a hands on helper not stand back and watch help....
                          Last edited by MASTERS; 03-20-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                            I have bee quick and honey robber. I have never had to use either during a forced abscond. Once you apply it there is no taking it back. Honey robber smells awfully offensive to me, like dirty nasty poor hygiene offensive. Bee quick smells much better but still not great an if either is applied directly to the bees I've been told that it will make them die. Like I said above I generally use pine shaving in my smoker that I buy for $5-6 a bag from tractor supply and the bees respond well. Some are a little slower than others but it seems the slower they are the more honey they have stored and are trying to gobble up as much as they can before rolling out. just takes time and the more experience you acquire doing it the better you will be able judge the bees actions/reactions. When I do a forced abscond I usually spend half the day getting the tree cut and ready to smoke on and the other half of the day smoking the bees out. I then go by the next day and get the hive at sunset. If anyone wants experience and wants to learn you are more than welcome to come by and help but I prefer a hands on helper not stand back and watch help....
                            I might be interested in helping, depending on where it’s at. I’m in Bandera. If it’s not too far, I’d love to help and learn a little more about it.
                            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                              I might be interested in helping, depending on where it’s at. I’m in Bandera. If it’s not too far, I’d love to help and learn a little more about it.
                              Craig
                              10-4 pm me contact info and next time I have one lined up I'll let you know

Comment

I have caugt 3 in traps in the last 10 days or so, also picked up 1 swarm in Tyler

Comment

Working...
                                X