Old Mexico 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    Anyone know when deer season ends this year in Mexico? Specifically Coahuila?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our outfitter said it was extended until 2/10 when I asked him 2 days ago.

Comment

I guess that’s a game you play at your own risk until they finally update their dates in writing...

Comment

Last Mexico sunset for the season.🙁
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
          Last Mexico sunset for the season.[emoji853]

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Does anyone have a good source for getting some tripods/quad pods welded in Mexico? Prices?

The box store brands now sold in the USA are absolute junk and come in 1000 pieces.

Chas Mac, S Tx tripods, and Monarch, make quality stuff, but I don’t want to have to mess with the taxes on getting those $500 new tripods across.

Columbia usually hits you with the tax, plus import fee ($250 on top of the 16%) if you bring in more than 2 hunting items at a time.

Anyone used someone down there?

Our ranch is about 30 minutes W of NL.

Examples

Comment

We r trying to figure out cottonseed/protein feeding on our place.....questions for u.
              What months do you feed protein?
              What size is ur ranch?
              How many lbs of Protein do you go thru in 3 months?
              How many protein feeders do you have on ur ranch?
              Have you seen it make a difference in antler growth?

What works better? Cotton seed or protein?
              Do you feed during hunting season?
              If so do you see deer tend to eat at the free feeding cotton seed/protein stations at night or during non hunting hours.
              Whats ur educated opinion on cotton seed making bucks sterile?

any other tips or things u can tell me would b greatly appreciated.
              thx gentlemen!

Comment

Old Mexico 2018-2019

Minimum one protein feeder per 600 acres, but best results will come from one feeder every 300 acres. You should start feeding protein pellets/cotton seed now! They complement each other very well when fed together. Yes you can gain more antler inches feeding protein pellets and cotton seed. But it’s more about keeping the mature bucks alive to make it another year. It also helps the fawns because the mother produces better milk. Cotton seed only makes deer sterile when it’s there only food source in a pen.

Last edited by Jbguide; 02-01-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I don’t know if cotton seed Can sterilize bucks or bulls like so many say. But for what it’s worth, I feed lots of deer exclusively cotton seed in a very small area (for decades) and they multiply with twin fawns most years. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was another problem and the cottonseed got the blame. I have also heard cattle can go blind eating too much. As a precaution I don’t feed it to my bulls

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaTex View Post
                    We r trying to figure out cottonseed/protein feeding on our place.....questions for u.
                    What months do you feed protein?
                    What size is ur ranch?
                    How many lbs of Protein do you go thru in 3 months?
                    How many protein feeders do you have on ur ranch?
                    Have you seen it make a difference in antler growth?

What works better? Cotton seed or protein?
                    Do you feed during hunting season?
                    If so do you see deer tend to eat at the free feeding cotton seed/protein stations at night or during non hunting hours.
                    Whats ur educated opinion on cotton seed making bucks sterile?

any other tips or things u can tell me would b greatly appreciated.
                    thx gentlemen!
                    Here are my thoughts to some of your questions. Start feeding now. Its a critical time to help bucks recover. If you cant feed year round January-August will achieve good results. Cotton seed is great. We have been feeding it for years with only positive results. we feed cotton seed Jan-August only as I believe its chief benefit is helping bucks recover and offering two feeders per feed station. We feed protein year round. If I could only choose one I would go with protein as it is a more complete ration. There are continuing benefits to increasing feeder density. I have experimented with everything from one feeder per 450 acres to one feeder per 100 acres in Mexico . More is better with only improving results as feeder density increases. I have a feeder per 60 acres on my farm

A protein supplemental program will absolutely improve all metrics of deer health including antler growth but don't expect immediate results. For us it took about 3 yrs to begin seeing material improvement. From there the benefits continue to accrue.

Comment

Does anyone use protein with dewormer in it? If so what brand and how much are y’all paying? Have you seen better results health wise?

Comment

Does anyone use protein with dewormer in it? If so what brand and how much are y’all paying? Have you seen better results health wise?

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                          Look at my thread "Who feeds Medicated Protein"

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                            We have been using it every spring for past 4-5 yrs.One dose run thru every feeder. Get it in Piedras same as regular protein. Any results we think we see are strictly anecdotal but intuitively makes sense. Among other things believe we have seen significant reduction in ticks.

Comment

Off subject but can you bring live crawfish [emoji3081] to cook in Mexico ?

Comment

Originally posted by JJC-ole Mexico View Post
                                Off subject but can you bring live crawfish [emoji3081] to cook in Mexico ?

Good question

Comment

Working...
                                X