Florida deputy refused to engage school shooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
    His boss, the sheriff said he was suspended primarily because of what was on the video.
    and you truly believe that......every situation like this needs a fall guy. Just saying.

May be true may not....

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
      Taxpayers were paying for a $100k a year coward to protect their Children ...

I think we are in two different conversations.

Comment

You pinned on the badge.
        You pin on the responsibility that comes with it.

240 seconds will cost this man a career, and most likely he wont be able to bear the shame for what he didn't do in those 240 seconds.

Comment

An unarmed Coach took bullets. How much was he making? He made a decision in the heat of the battle. He was actually in the battle for effs sake.

There are no excuses.
          Last edited by jer_james; 02-23-2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

That deputy was thinking of retirement and saving his own butt.....so sad!

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
              An unarmed Coach took bullets unarmed. How much was he making? He made a decision in the heat of the battle. He was actually in the battle for effs sake.

There are no excuses.
              I agree with you. I also read the link in post 75 and it makes me sick. The county and the school conniving together to get more money.

Comment

I can’t keep myself from weighing in on this. All I will say is I make $46k a year as a cop working for a university that’s state funded. I agree my salary is incredibly low for my years of service but it dang sure wouldn’t stop me from engaging a threat. Yes I HAVE been shot at so I can say exactly how I would act but it’s not fair to say we all would. All being all of us LEOS. I’ve had officers with little experience go balls out in training exercises as well as old guys. But I’ve also seen old guys dang near have a heart attack upon intense training. I’m not a super tiny, ultra fit cop but I practice responding under stress inoculation every three months because our department requires it. I’m grateful I’ve got that training but not everyone does and just because you have it once or twice doesn’t mean A. You’re training under stress induced situations or B. You’re training like it’s real. Before we started training like this I can say my heart was there but my body wasn’t. If you can’t engage because you’re not physically or mentally able to then you’re only contributing to the problem. Shooter takes you out then uses your radio to hear what’s happening as well as your armor, uniform and any weapons. Maybe the dude was a coward but maybe he literally couldn’t engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not to change the subject but, I would like say "Thank You" to all the LEO out their. I appreciate your efforts and have much respect for what you everyday.

Comment

So I read the article. IMO it was a waste of reading. Basically stating school officials did not want the lil boys and girls arrested and the Sheriff agency complied for the peace and solidarity as well as funding. Allowing numerous misdemeanors and felonies get by?

Fact of the matter is 17 are dead. They can wash all the crap behind them as what they can't do. Being an LEO is mostly common sense in a bunch of situations.

Do I engage with this POS? and pray the Lord pulls me out of it but possibly face the consequences of the school district and the agency? I would rather go out that way knowing that I did the right thing.

The deal about "freezing up" I keep hearing from on here as well as a few LEOs. The man has 30 plus years as a LEO, now his pucker factor goes into high gear? I believe the correct term is called "self preservation". No apologies and if your agency says wait and let's see what happens or the Principal is gonna be ****** if I go in. You may be in the wrong agency or wrong employment field.
                    Last edited by CrookedArrow; 02-23-2018, 08:05 AM. Reason: spelllinnngggg

Comment

Prior experience in fire fights tells me everyone responds differently. Just because you are in law enforcement doesn't mean you should be. A lot of people freeze in serious situations.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        You pinned on the badge.
                        You pin on the responsibility that comes with it.

240 seconds will cost this man a career, and most likely he wont be able to bear the shame for what he didn't do in those 240 seconds.
                        One of the better statements I have read thus far. If money and politics are the game changer he should have left before the slaughter of those kids.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                          So I read the article. IMO it was a waste of reading. Basically stating school officials did not want the lil boys and girls arrested and the Sheriff agency complied for the peace and solidarity as well as funding. Allowing numerous misdemeanors and felonies get by?

Fact of the matter is 17 are dead. They can wash all the crap behind them as what they can't do. Being an LEO is mostly common sense in a bunch of situations.

Do I engage with this POS? and pray the Lord pulls me out of it but possibly face the consequences of the school district and the agency? I would rather go out that way knowing that I did the right thing.

The deal about "freezing up" I keep hearing from on here as well as a few LEOs. The many has 30 plus years as a LEO, now his pucker factor goes into high gear? I believe the correct term is called "self preservation". No apologies and if your agency says wait and let's see what happens or the Principal is gonna be ****** if I go in. You may be in the wrong agency or wrong employment field.
                          100% agreed

Comment

So, let's get this straight, the sheriff's office assigned a pu$$y to watch over these kids, ignored at least 22 warnings about the killer, and then calls for gun control. Sounds logical.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              Prior experience in fire fights tells me everyone responds differently. Just because you are in law enforcement doesn't mean you should be. A lot of people freeze in serious situations.

Absolutely. And just because you’re a veteran doesn’t mean you’ve even been in a critical incident. Especially at a school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                                I'm assuming your not a cop?

What your missing is thats they way cops were trained then, you can't say much other then it was one of the worst things our country had seen up until then. You can't and shouldn't blame them then this current one is different because, times and tactics have changed.

Who would of thought things would get so bad over the years, were todays tactics on entering a school for an active shooter is common place.
                                I agree with your comments on training. During my day there was NO class addressing situations like school shootings. But, we also carried mostly revolvers and a shotgun too just to show the time period? Tactics are MUCH different obviously these days.

I still advocate selected individual school staff being trained and armed! My wife retired over a year ago after 32 years of teaching. Her old school had a "select" group of staff trained and armed. Their identity was not disclosed to other staff members other than local law enforcement. Obviously I will NOT name the school so please don't even ask if so inclined.

I don't know the answers, but gun control is not going to fix the problems. It all starts at home and if you see, hear something...REPORT IT! Every comment needs to be taken seriously!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X