No announcement yet.

Nursing School - UT or OU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep reading lots of people here saying that the school name will help with finding a job post graduation. Nursing is not like most other careers like finance and what not. No one cares where you got your degree from. Its all about having a license and doing well on an interview.

Nursing is cyclical where there are times it becomes hard for new graduates to find a job. Has nothing to do with the school name, just happens when the job market retracts a bit. I graduated in 2011 and some of my classmates had little issues finding jobs but many had jobs lined up before we graduated. Pay is not based on where you went to school and often not whether or not you have an associates degree or bachelors. That being said, just go straight for a bachelors because it is harder these days to get a job with an associates due to the amount of people graduating with a 4 year degree.

Jobs will continue to be a plenty. Most young nurses are running away from the bedside. Lots of young people do not want to work hard for their money and are jumping towards NP degrees to get away from bedside.

Comment

As far as which school, I would pick the most one she is comfortable with. As far as getting a job after school is completed, I would recommend getting a prn/as needed job, on a unit she is considering working for after she graduates. I worked in an ER and ICU during school and I chose the ER. School is going to suck. Yes suck, the teachers don't give a dang about you, whats going on in your life and how much stress you're under. They march to their own drum. The drop out rate can be high and divorce rate, during school, can climb as well. Not a lot of people will understand what she will be going through unless, they have been there and done that. When she is in school, get as much hands on practice as possible.

As 8mpg said, pay is pay, they don't care for BSN vs ADN, some places prefer ADN because they solely practice bedside nursing and skills. BSN programs are more concentrated towards theory and academics. That's my opinion.
      Last edited by icetrauma; 02-19-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Great advice. Thanks. I think if I could score a deer lease close to either area that my sway my vote on where to go ��

Comment

I know Harris health and other hospitals aren't hiring ADN anymore.

Wife went to school at HBU, there was times she wanted to quit of how hard some of the classes. She pulled through. I think her class started with like 75 people, 12 graduated.

Nursing isn't easy career path but they're will always be jobs, they get paid good and have good benifits as well. My wife works 3 days a week and gets paid way more than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Azzy View Post
            I know Harris health and other hospitals aren't hiring ADN anymore.

Wife went to school at HBU, there was times she wanted to quit of how hard some of the classes. She pulled through. I think her class started with like 75 people, 12 graduated.

Nursing isn't easy career path but they're will always be jobs, they get paid good and have good benifits as well. My wife works 3 days a week and gets paid way more than I do.
            The Houston market can be very profitable for nurses as compared to other markets.

Comment

As far as wages vs cost of living, DFW and Houston have it best in Texas. East and West Texas suck as far as pay. Austin is expensive living and their pay is lower than DFW.

If shes open to other schools and it is not too late, check into Texas Womens, UTA in Arlingon. Schools are cheaper with good track records for NCLEX pass rates. It is in the DFW are so its a good mix of social life and school. I wouldn't want to send my kids to Austin to learn the crazy liberal logic.

Comment

My Daughter is in her second year @ Ut Tyler, for Nursing, I understand it has surpassed the other UT campuses, as far as there Nursing Program. from what I gather, The UT Diploma will be much more excepted if working here in Texas. compared to others..Talons Up!!!!
                just my 2 centavous

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                  The nursing part really shouldn't matter. No hospital cares where you received BSN at. Her effort/commitment will determine how well she does. Nursing school can be tough, if not focused. I personally would look at price. No point in being 70,000 in debt for a nursing degree. For the record, I went to 2yr associate program(Angelina jr collegr), then worked full time as RN while getting my BSN(SFA). I then went to Texas tech for my NP. I worked as a nurse for 11.5yrs before getting my NP.
                  I had colleagues over the years that were heavily in debt for nursing degree, and we get paid the same. I think most all the programs are good, everyone passes same state test. Other than cost, look at other factors that could be distractions or benefit to her staying on task.
                  Jason hit the nail on the head. Hospitals arent concerned with where you obtained your degree, but more and more are focusing on it being a BSN instead of an associates. My fiancée achieved her associates through Amarillo college debt free, then came to work for UMC in Lubbock. They paid 85% of her tuition to go back. So as soon as she started working she was back in school working towards her BSN, which was her plan from the start. She has zero debt from school, and it’s much nicer than her coworkers who went to a 4 yr program and racked up the loans. Plus she had a full time income that last year she went.

Comment

Comment

Doubt either one of those schools will provide it but it really helped my daughter with the smaller nursing class at Texas Tech Odessa....she called crying when she got it rather than Lubbock but ended up admitting that for her it was a much better class situation, and her Degree is Texas Tech. They also had a very high average pass rate for National Test which is an important thing to look at also when shopping schools.

Comment

I have never meet a nurse that couldn't find a job in 24 hours, so I don't think it matters where she goes from that direction. Weather can be worse in Norman through the winter, but traffic is bad year round in Austin.

Comment

A bit of advice for when she gets done with school as my wife is currently fighting this now.

A little background, my wifes second degree is BSN and she just graduated from SHSU in December.

DO NOT accept a job with a hospital in the process of or having recently been acquired by another corporation. My wife got an offer in her desired specialty, in a high speed ER in the area. Last week, 2 weeks into their new hire training, they were informed they would likely be laid off due to other facilities closing and having to move those other employees into the central hospital.

Now I understand how corporate America works, but am baffeled that managment would allow a new crop of recruits to come in just to be laid off. Seems to be a huge waste of time and resources. Not to mention that these new nurses with loans to pay for are now likely to be out of work, and have missed the opportunity to be in a graduate nurse program.

Sorry for the rant, congrats to your daughter on being accepted to 2 great schools that is a huge accomplishment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                            My Daughter is in her second year @ Ut Tyler, for Nursing, I understand it has surpassed the other UT campuses, as far as there Nursing Program. from what I gather, The UT Diploma will be much more excepted if working here in Texas. compared to others..Talons Up!!!!
                            just my 2 centavous
                            My wife graduated from UT Tyler in 2014 with her BSN. She works at Mother Francis now, she works with nurses from all different schools they are all on a level playing field. Glad she did not end up in debt and went local for us.

Comment

My daughter has been accepted to UT Tyler and TWU nursing programs. She has visited Tyler and going this weekend to visit TWU. TWU 2 years there and two years back here in Houston at Med Center, for her Nursing classes. TWU offer the last 2 years nursing in both Houston or Dallas med centers, students choice where is my understanding)

Both of these are fairly highly ranked from my understanding.
                              Last edited by Cheapsk8; 02-21-2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I agree with some that have already stated... I am attending PT school this fall in Conway Ark. In my opinion I would tell her to go to the cheaper school of the two if not somewhere else. In this day and time I know individuals who have gone on to receive their nurse practitioner degree and do most of it online. You can complete your BSN online via the same schools as well. MANY MANY nurses did an associate program, then completed a BSN and later have the choice to complete a NP if desired. No reason to spend crazy amounts of money on an undergrad program in the medical field. So many job opportunities are available... people love to say I was an alumni from this program or that but in the end the type of person/employee and effort speaks volumes. This is a major reason why I did not even bother applying to private Physical Therapy schools. Never saw the sense to Pay so much more for the same great or in many cases even better education from a cheaper public program. My theory is try and have all undergrad school paid for via scholarships or grants because if she decides to go on to grad school or a doctorate program scholarships are next to nothing then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X