Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiger striped wahoo on another Marauder

Comment

Rack's perfectly good Marauder was hammered and literally - nearly cut in half this trip.

Razor teeth at 60 mph = NASTY

Comment

Rack left and Mike right - the three of us have some serious miles together offshore. Been some seriously darn good times and the thought of fish caught now, miles and miles of line reeled hooked up catching tons of fish now. Literally tons of fish.

Two friends and Two offshore machines - AVET & ACCURATE fishing reels.

The Marauder in this image, lost the back hook. I hooked up on something as the boat slowed with yet another wahoo on another rod. Rod bowed up super hard and I was locked in for a brief moment before losing that back hook. The welded O-RING and 9/0 hook were completely gone. So we had to add a new Owner O-Ring and another 9/0 hook to put my trusty lure back in business.

I wonder what in the heck I hooked up powerful enough to rip a welded stainless O-RING rated at well over 400 lbs off my lure? Maybe I don't want to know.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 02-20-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Amazing pixels as always!!!!!!!

Comment

Holy Cow! That looks like an awesome time. I'd love to do that someday!!!!

Y'all know how to do it up right!!!!!

Congrats to everybody!

Bisch

Comment

Wahoo Circus

Comment

Mike and I dancing at the rail. Scored my second wahoo - after everyone on the boat managed at least one wahoo each. That's how we do it when we sail. Many Charter trips, the usual practice on these boats, it's an each man for himself situation. Some have the gear to do this but the majority do not. The skipper and crew are pressed hard to get fish on deck with some who either have some experience at it and bring gear and others, who are learning and it's their first experience.

So each time we sail as a group, we bring the good stuff, lean on our experience with the best boat in the game, and proceed to make this happen. Many trips we don't manage to lock in on a desired species but, we always find ways to adjust with other species and techniques, to maximize the opportunity of fishing fun. This particular trip, wahoo was the primary and we nailed that. Yellowfin was secondary, not enough time for options elsewhere offshore, to make that one happen.

A bulk of this fishing experience, you fish as a team. You work the deck and lines and try at all times, to clear and allow those hooked up, to stay hooked up without causing issue on deck.

Those that sail with us learn very quickly, how this offshore game is played.

Comment

Glen

Comment

Mako Mike Halco

Comment

Cap'n Timmy and Dolphin Express crew.

Comment

And the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                          Rack left and Mike right - the three of us have some serious miles together offshore. Been some seriously darn good times and the thought of fish caught now, miles and miles of line reeled hooked up catching tons of fish now. Literally tons of fish.

Two friends and Two offshore machines - AVET & ACCURATE fishing reels.

The Marauder in this image, lost the back hook. I hooked up on something as the boat slowed with yet another wahoo on another rod. Rod bowed up super hard and I was locked in for a brief moment before losing that back hook. The welded O-RING and 9/0 hook were completely gone. So we had to add a new Owner O-Ring and another 9/0 hook to put my trusty lure back in business.

I wonder what in the heck I hooked up powerful enough to rip a welded stainless O-RING rated at well over 400 lbs off my lure? Maybe I don't want to know.

Braid had a bunch of lures come out of China where the welded rings always broke. We had to completely stop using Braid Marauders and switch to Yozuri Bonitos.

Comment

A take away from an experience offshore. You can typically see some who get emotional and or worried about their luck, as fish start to hit the fish box. This is a pretty typical scene for many who haven't fished offshore a bunch. The various personalities start to show, some very vocal and others, non-conformist and or aggressively trying to make things happen, without the experience to really do the right thing to get there.

This trip was no exception. And the theaterics to me, is fine viewing. Several times I let those, who haven't really done much of this type of fishing, they were going to hook-up and take fish home. Eventually everyone figured out, what was spoken was true because, everyone was covered and each had their time at catching their personal wahoo, for the trip back home.

Never fails........the character of people offshore, is more apparent than it is onshore.

The dynamics offshore, chasing big game, is never a guarantee. But there are enough variables, that switching things up with the right crew and skipper, make the success rate extremely high. But in order for the Cap'n and Crew to deliver, they require some serious anglers who can get things done to make the trip, a success for all.

That's the dynamics of fishing this way offshore. It's a TEAM EFFORT and investing in decent gear, and getting the experience to play this game, increase the success factor for the boat and crew.

Money can't buy success though. Experience, technique and Team-Work are the only real components that increase a trip like this success. You can spot bait and fish with sonar till the cows come home, using the same technique and or lure and presentation over and over typically never works. Having a depth of options, with literally a load of tackle to mix things up, increase the odds for success. Leaning on the boat's gear, it's not a guarantee. So Team-Work comes in the form of gear as well as fishing technique.

That's my take on this scene......and there never is a dull moment offshore. Everyone either learns to work together and or those who don't conform, end up getting pushed to the side as those that do, push on.

Thanks for sailing along!

Rob

Comment

Thanks for the write up Rob, great job as always. That blue water will draw out the core of a man's character no doubt. Awesome trip and can't wait for the next one! .

-Following seas and tight lines...

Comment

One filet LMAO!

Steaking this up for dinner tonight.

Orange juice
                                Soy
                                Fresh squeezed lemon juice
                                Minced garlic
                                Pepper
                                Extra virgin olive oil
                                Paprika

Apple wood smoke on the grill till it's done, flipping probably 7 minutes per side.

Serve!

NUTS ON THE PLATE!

Comment

Working...
                                X