Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

lab prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by triple_duece View Post
    I wouldn’t pay that much money for a dog. 95% of dogs are capable of being a champion. It’s the owner that makes or breaks them.

I’m more concerned about it being full blooded, the standard size and temperament. Remember to check out the parents for the things you are looking for in a puppy. Rabbits don’t make squirrels and typically your going to get that size of the dog and temperament along w physical features from the parents. How many ribbons it wins.... we’ll that’s up to the owner in most cases.
    I would agree here..... Picked up a chocolate from a guy that had no hunting background. Probably one of the quickest learners and top 3 best retrievers Ive owned. Would take a pup out of him any day.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
      I wouldn’t worry about the initial cost because that will be just a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost if you have the dog for 10 years.
      This. Do the math on what a dog will cost you in vet, food and equipment bills over a 10+ year life span (not even considering if you are going to send them to a trainer) and a few hundred dollars more up front is a drop in the bucket. The extra money for a dog from a good litter should up your odds on getting a good dog and should be from dogs that have had their hips checked and come with a hip guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by Axis FMJ View Post
        I have a black English female. She was 1400. Great hunter and picture perfect square head.
        Same here but we got a male. This is the first lab we paid a lot for and boy what a difference good bloodlines make. He is only 6 months old but he is a pure pleasure to be around. Very calm, doesn't chew everything up, no digging, very well mannered. Love the English labs!

Comment

I just want another Choc lab , she will never hunt birds maybe blood trail . I just want one without health issues and good hips .
          I don't mind paying just don't want to pay for a pedigree that I won't use.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
            I just want another Choc lab , she will never hunt birds maybe blood trail . I just want one without health issues and good hips .
            I don't mind paying just don't want to pay for a pedigree that I won't use.

I'd think you could find Choc pups for $400 or less if you looked around and bloodline wasn't a big deal. Or consider giving a Lab Rescue place a look for a younger pup you could train up to do what you'd like and give a good home.

I've never gone the high dollar bloodline route and have had some awesome dogs. They were with me everyday back when I was younger and I trained them all myself along with some guys who trained for field trials for a living. Point being, you don't need a high-powered pedigree to get a great working dog. Especially if you won't be doing trials or bird hunting much. I loved my chocolate, but my best dog was a little 55# black female that was a cracker jack dog and would fetch beer out of the cooler for me. Loved that trick

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
              I'd think you could find Choc pups for $400 or less if you looked around and bloodline wasn't a big deal. Or consider giving a Lab Rescue place a look for a younger pup you could train up to do what you'd like and give a good home.

I've never gone the high dollar bloodline route and have had some awesome dogs. They were with me everyday back when I was younger and I trained them all myself along with some guys who trained for field trials for a living. Point being, you don't need a high-powered pedigree to get a great working dog. Especially if you won't be doing trials or bird hunting much. I loved my chocolate, but my best dog was a little 55# black female that was a cracker jack dog and would fetch beer out of the cooler for me. Loved that trick
              My last one we paid 450 and she was the best dog I've ever had.

Comment

Working...
              X