No announcement yet.

Best egg producers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have buff orpingtons, sex links, and barred rocks. They all lay good but with my young kids the sexlinks and buffs are like pets. Ours free range and they come to the kids wanting to be held. Its crazy. The barred rocks are more standoffish.

Comment

We love our Buff Orpingtons, always have plenty of eggs.

Comment

We have Moran’s. I’d say half of our eggs we get are double yolk. Even some triple yolk eggs every now and then. They lay plenty of big brown eggs for the 4 of us.

Comment

I like bared rock/ Plymouth Rock , leghorn are good to

Comment

I will be the first one to say I have no idea what type of chickens are in my backyard. Two black ones. Two reddish ones. One is reddish-yellow. All I know is that we have eggs every day.

Comment

Walmartus Genericus

Comment

Last I checked white leghorns ( there are numerous strains ) were still top. Not as popular with home growers because they are flighty, lay white eggs ( some think brown eggs are special ) and arent pretty. But still have best feed conversion and production. Otherwise aracaunas ( americaunas ) lay well ( blue/green eggs ) mostly because most have leghorn in their bloodline.

If you want brown eggs Im not sure. RI ( or NH ) Reds and Red sex Links do well. My australorps were ok but not great.

Comment

Rhode island reds and Plymouth rocks. I let them roam to eat bugs. Pen fed the eggs are good. Allowed to roam and eating natural stuff and the yolks get thick and orange. There is no comparison to them vs a white egg.

Comment

I'm the only one who eats eggs much at our house. Then it's probably only 4 per week. What do you do with all the extra eggs?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 2 Rhode Island reds I let roam the back yard. They will lay every day and not miss a beat. Sometimes I will notice more eggs than chickens on multiple occasions so they will both sometimes lay twice in a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                        Rhode island reds and Plymouth rocks. I let them roam to eat bugs. Pen fed the eggs are good. Allowed to roam and eating natural stuff and the yolks get thick and orange. There is no comparison to them vs a white egg.
                        Just for the record, yolk color/health is a product of what they eat, regardless of shell color. Leghorn yolks look the same as any brown egg if fed the same diet.

Comment

Leghorn #1 white eggs Rhode Island Red # 2 for brown eggs

Comment

Honestly I had a mixed bunch and they all laid eggs about the same as far as amount. I had production reds, auraconna, game, barred rock, RIR, and some others. I say pick what you want to see running around in your yard.

Comment

We’ve are new to having laying hens and have been through a few different ones of the course of 8 months thanks to the neighbors dog. Currently we have 1 RI red, 1 buff, 2 barred rocks and 2 Dominiquer hens and 1 RI young rooster. Ours have been in a shut mode since mid Jan with the cold weather short dates. Just the last week or so we started getting smallish brown eggs and we haven’t figured out which hen it is. We also have 12 Amerucana chicks that are 2 weeks old. They lay “Easter eggs”. Blue, green, reddish. This is our first attempt at chicks. The other 20+ hens we bought already laying or young pullets.
                              Good luck. My wife says I’m out of control, but I enjoy feeding them and watching them daily. Coach

Comment

We just built this for a client. He had the shed and wanted to convert it to a chicken coup. Not sure what type of chicks he is getting though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X