Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Guys: Let's Shoot At Those Guys Over There And Then We Can Escape That Way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excerpt from the "durability" section...

The cockpit and parts of the flight-control system are protected by 1,200 lb (540 kg) of titanium aircraft armor, referred to as a "bathtub".[61][62] The armor has been tested to withstand strikes from 23 mm cannon fire and some strikes from 57 mm rounds.[57][61] It is made up of titanium plates with thicknesses from 0.5 to 1.5 inches (13 to 38 mm) determined by a study of likely trajectories and deflection angles. The armor makes up almost 6 percent of the aircraft's empty weight. Any interior surface of the tub directly exposed to the pilot is covered by a multi-layer nylon spall shield to protect against shell fragmentation.[63][64] The front windscreen and canopy are resistant to small arms fire.[65]

Comment

My dad worked on planes in the air force, and told me how these A10s would fly with failure in one engine, busted wing, etc. Tough and cool plane

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
        I just love these kinds of videos
        X2

Comment

We need it illustrated with hula dancers.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZhMe0wYAdA

And just for good measure.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxIUc6dyM-8

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I would like to allocate all of my tax dollars to go toward barrels and ammo for that plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              AMEN! Me, too.

Comment

New meaning for "DUSTED"....

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  How do they cool the barrel on that thing?

And what must it sound like in the cockpit when you squeeze the trigger?

Flying at 300+ miles per hour makes for a pretty good cooling airstream. As I recall, the miniguns on aArmy gunships fired either 2k or 4k rounds per minute, but a max of a 3-second burst to give barrels time to cool a bit.

And, any time the AF wants to retire the A-10, I'm sure the Army and USMC would gladly take them.
                  Last edited by dustoffer; 02-09-2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

"why did you shoot them 100 times?"
                    "we ran out of ammo!"

Comment

When were at Ft. Bragg on the way home in 2004 they were training there and the pilot would turn the plane upside down so they could see the battle field, turn it right side up and then do a gun run, cool to watch. I wish I could have seen one in action in real life, but watching the videos never gets old.

Comment

One of my best friends was an A-10 driver in desert storm. He has A barrel from his plane and some outstanding video of kills.
                        Said every A-10 pilot over there wanted to shoot a Camel. But that was the Ultimate No-No.
                        Some cool stories.

Comment

Threads like these make me happy happy happy

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                            That WAS great!

One of my Vietnam Vet friends who was at MACV SOG and was part of the CCN said that when a FOB was under attack the prettiest sight in the world was Puff or Spooky.

He told me that the plane using the mini guns could put a round almost every square foot of an area the size of a football field. Now I don't know if that's right but man, if it is how would not get killed?
                            They were Bad to the Bone. Still are.

Comment

Try www.patriotdepot.com

They have 30 mm shot glasses made from shells fired from an A-10. I bought several for presents and everyone loved them. Right now they are listed on sale as $14.99 each.
                              Attached Files

Comment

They also have some great t-shirts

I wear my Veterans Before Refugees t-shirt when I fly from Dallas to New Orleans each month. Love it!!!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X