1873 rifle found in park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
    Story doesnt say its been there for 132 years. Just that the gun is 132 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
      Burnadell has had that thing listed in the lost and found for like 100 years now! It’s time we reunite that gun to its rightful owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      this was funny as hell and didnt get the attention it deserved.

Comment

But the tree looks young and the rifle looks really old and weathered ��

Comment

Rifle

Hope this goes along with the story, Not take away from it.
          I found this one in 1964, Yeah I'm a GOf. 44 cal.
          Sterling county, Way off the beaten path.
          Under an overhanging cave.
          Was laying there and still had remnants of the wood on it.
          But being a kid, in my excitement I just jerked it up and the wood fell away.
          Appears to be loaded and to also have a couple rounds in the magazine.
          I always wondered how it got there and what happened to the owner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03162a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	24530173

Name:	DSC03163a.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	24530174

Name:	DSC03165a.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24530175

Comment

Maybe a dumb question, but would the tree absorb/grow around something as light as a rifle leaned against it? Or push it out as the tree grows? Obviously trees will absorb wire, chain, etc that’s wrapped tightly around it.

Comment

Originally posted by "DOC" View Post
              Hope this goes along with the story, Not take away from it.
              I found this one in 1964, Yeah I'm a GOf. 44 cal.
              Sterling county, Way off the beaten path.
              Under an overhanging cave.
              Was laying there and still had remnants of the wood on it.
              But being a kid, in my excitement I just jerked it up and the wood fell away.
              Appears to be loaded and to also have a couple rounds in the magazine.
              I always wondered how it got there and what happened to the owner.

[ATTACH]895969[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]895970[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]895971[/ATTACH]
              Hatchet Jack gonna be ****** you took his other rifle...

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                Burnadell has had that thing listed in the lost and found for like 100 years now! It’s time we reunite that gun to its rightful owner.

Comment

It would be nice to know what happened to the owner, and why it was left there, but if we knew that, the rifle probably wouldn't have been left.

Comment

Lets get it right. Burnadel didn’t put this by the tree 132 years ago. He told me he had the gun for at least 5 years after he bought it new when he put it down. We need to keep the facts accurate

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                      Maybe a dumb question, but would the tree absorb/grow around something as light as a rifle leaned against it? Or push it out as the tree grows? Obviously trees will absorb wire, chain, etc that’s wrapped tightly around it.
                      This has been my thought exactly from the first time I saw this story a year or so ago. It's not strapped to the tree. Just leaning. Tree grows, gun just moves with the growth. Not sure why that's difficult to imagine.

Comment

I dont think the tree is 130 years old... (actually have to be closer to 140 for it to be tall enough for the rifle to lean against...in such a way to support the no-growing-around-gun theory..)
                        Got no issue with the tree pushing the gun away from it and not growing around it...sounds reasonable... but that doesnt look like a 130+ year old cedar....

Comment

So how many tree experts around here know what a 100+ year old cedar looks like in that part of the world and that particular variety of cedar?

Comment

My thoughts exactly.....things can grow super slow up there. They ask that above treeline in Rocky Mountain National Park not to disturb the grass and stay on the trails because it can take a hundred years to repair itself in places. I have a feeling there would be grass experts on here that disagree because the St Augustine in their backyard would cover that up in just a couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              So how many tree experts around here know what a 100+ year old cedar looks like in that part of the world and that particular variety of cedar?

Those particular trees are called Pinyon Junipers

I'd be more curious how the rifle (and tree) managed to avoid wild fires all those years.
                              Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 02-08-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X