No announcement yet.

Another what is it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any otters running around near me, but after the Google search, it looks like an otter.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Looks like a coati
      This ^^^

Comment

Coati

Comment

I'm going with Water Mocassin.

Comment

Originally posted by apc10 View Post
            I don't have any otters running around near me, but after the Google search, it looks like an otter.
            No elongated body or long neck... Body too short for otter, but tail looks short for a coati... However, I think the tail can be explained by angle of photo and the tail was in action thus the little offset/crook...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              No elongated body or long neck... Body too short for otter, but tail looks short for a coati... However, I think the tail can be explained by angle of photo and the tail was in action thus the little offset/crook...
              Your eyes must be playing tricks on you, Charlie. The way the OTTER is walking away from the camera plays tricks on the eyes. They also run with a funny little gait that humps up their back.

big otter traveling on land right towards me at lower suwannee

Comment

Could be, but I see otters all the time around my place, and to me that looks a lot more like a coatimundi than it does an otter... Could be the terrain shown in the pic just don't look like otter country too even tho when we had our place out west, I got a beaver in an irrigation canal in Del Rio!! Sure not the place I'd have gone looking for beaver either... To me it's just the preponderance of all the clues that points to coati, but I for dang sure could be wrong... One thing I do know though, it ain't no nutria or possum!! Folks that would think that must be "city-slickers" or somethin'...

Comment

Here's a pic of a dead Coatimundi. Sure looks like that could be what it is... and unless that brush n cactus is growing real close to a river, sure don't see it being an otter, but it's about the right shape too...

[ATTACH]895506[/ATTACH]
                  I got to agree.. but I never new they were in TX

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                    Otter

Skinny

I say otter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Kinda thinking the furry armadillo and water moccasin are out of the running right now [emoji51]

Leaning pretty heavy towards the otter or coati right now. Hoping we get some more definitive pics.

I sent a pic to our wildlife biologist for his input.

Comment

Here's a pic of a dead Coatimundi. Sure looks like that could be what it is... and unless that brush n cactus is growing real close to a river, sure don't see it being an otter, but it's about the right shape too...

[ATTACH]895506[/ATTACH]
                        I have never seen or heard of this animal. How common is it for this area.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                          I have never seen or heard of this animal. How common is it for this area.

For the area in question? Never heard of them being here. Not saying it’s impossible, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                            For the area in question? Never heard of them being here. Not saying it’s impossible, though.

I was looking on Wikipedia and it looks like more common in South Texas and Mexico

Comment

I don't have a clue if they're supposed to be in your area... I know we had 'em along the Rio Grande... not common, but we saw them from time to time. That photo was one I found on the internet. I think they're pretty well protected here in Texas. I picked it because I thought it represented the shape that most closely related to your pic. If you google it and pick images, you'll see that their size, coloration and shape actually varies widely.

In any case, whether otter or coati, it's is a VERY COOL pic and sighting... maybe you'll get more pics or even see it live! Good luck and post up any follow ups you may get.

Comment

I can 100% guarantee you it's an Opuntia.
                                Last edited by Hunting4fun; 02-06-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X