No announcement yet.

Ffa/ag teacher/validating hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't talk to the ag teacher any more, go straight to the superintendent of the district, especially if you have text, witnesses, etc

There was a sorry azz ag teacher in our school several years ago, he got the boot for doing exactly what you are talking about (buy all animals through him, he was cherry picking for certain students to stack the deck in their favor and making a ridiculous mark up on the animals)

Comment

I hate to tell you this but each county has a hog validation date. If you missed that date and did not get a tag I doubt there is anything that can be done no matter if he shows 4h or FFA. This issue needs to be brought up to the school board and Superintendent for sure

For example our county show is the end of March and county validation was December 9th. Our Ag program here had a meeting before school ever started going over all the dates and requirements. It blows my mind that an AG teacher would act that way.

Comment

@
        Originally posted by dsb6446 View Post
        I am going to file an official protest with the executive committee of the youth expo. Yea i have to pay a $100 to do it. Hopefully i will get a response tomorrow how to get the response to how to proceed. Thanks for the input.
        This is your best first step, hopefully they will let you in. Would be helpful for you to know if the exec committee has ever allowed anyone in after the validation deadline, I'd look for that info from someone other than your ag teacher. Next step either way is to talk to the school administration but I wouldn't do that until you know the ruling from the exec committee. Good luck!
        Last edited by rvd; 02-05-2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Maybe I missed it, when was validation? Usually they have a validation date that is weeks or a month before the true validation deadline. Also, FFA and 4H ususally have a different validation deadline.

We have missed validation and it sucks because you have to wait another year for that show to come back.

I have also noticed that if the kid isn't always hounding the FFA teacher about everything, things will be missed. The ag class is one thing FFA is something different that is after class.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
            Maybe I missed it, when was validation? Usually they have a validation date that is weeks or a month before the true validation deadline. Also, FFA and 4H ususally have a different validation deadline.

We have missed validation and it sucks because you have to wait another year for that show to come back.

I have also noticed that if the kid isn't always hounding the FFA teacher about everything, things will be missed. The ag class is one thing FFA is something different that is after class.
            January 6th was swine validation date in Navarro County

Also just FYI the ag teacher sits in the Executive Committee if you did not know that
            Last edited by aggie2000tx; 02-05-2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

In less than five minutes I used google to find out first what county Corsicana is in then found all the show info including validation dates online.

I find it hard to believe there was never anything said about validation at the school but even if there wasn't you have to take some responsibility. The information is out there. If nothing else you and your son get a lesson on being better prepared and a freezer full of pork.

Comment

Sounds like you need to file a complaint with the superintendent of the district as long as you have text, emails, witnesses to corroborate everything. The teacher is definitely doing some shady stuff there from what it sounds like.

Also as someone mentioned earlier, if your son stays in Ag he AND you need to hound this teacher until he does his job. Make sure that all requests and responses are in some for of writing (text, email, etc.)

With that being said, the teacher sounds very shady and if he actually sits on the committee then I would find you a 4H chapter to partake in. You will be better off in the long run and probably have much less stress.

Comment

We talked about our animals daily back in my day. The ag teacher also came out to our personal pens and inspected the animals and pens to make sure we were actually participating at least once a week maybe two.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    In less than five minutes I used google to find out first what county Corsicana is in then found all the show info including validation dates online.

I find it hard to believe there was never anything said about validation at the school but even if there wasn't you have to take some responsibility. The information is out there. If nothing else you and your son get a lesson on being better prepared and a freezer full of pork.

This is exactly what I was planning to write.^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is taken from the Navarro county expo rules.

III. VALIDATION
                      16. Each exhibitor must own their livestock entry on the date of validation. The livestock entry must be cared for by the exhibitor during the entire feeding period, and be under the full supervision and oversight of a County Extension Agent or Ag Science Teacher in Navarro County. Exception: (1) breeding rabbits, llama and registered heifers must be owned by the date listed in their division rules.
                      17. An animal may be validated in the name of two or more exhibitors only if all of the following criteria are met: a. Where brother and sister may have differing last names, it must be noted on the validation form. b. They are brother/sister by blood relationship, legally adopted or in legal foster care. c. They are bona fide exhibitors and eligible to show as NCYE exhibitors. d. They permanently reside or are being educated in Navarro County.
                      18. All Commercial Heifers, Market Lambs, Market Goats, Market Rabbits, Market Steers and Market Hogs must be validated to participate in [4] the NCYE. Entries are considered validated when they are tagged and/or tattooed and/or nose printed by an NCYE official. There will be no allowance for death or injury loss replacement after the validation deadline, unless otherwise approved at the sole discretion of the NCYE Executive Committee. Major livestock show tags, tattoos and nose prints may be used for the purposes of the NCYE.
                      The following are the validation deadlines/validation dates and time:
                      Market Steers October 23, 2017 4:00pm – 6:00pm Nelson Farms
                      Commercial Heifers October 23, 2017 4:00pm – 6:00pm Nelson Farms
                      Market Lambs November 13, 2017 6:00pm – 7:00pm Navarro County Expo Center
                      Market Goats November 13, 2017 6:00pm – 7:00pm Navarro County Expo Center
                      Market Hogs January 6, 2018 8:00am – 9:00am Navarro County Expo Center
                      Market Rabbits February 24, 2018 8:00am – Noon Navarro County Expo Center
                      Ag Science Teachers and County Extension Agents will be issued validation tags to validate market lambs, market goats and market hogs prior to the validation dates listed above. Any exhibitor with an animal that has not been validated by an Ag Science Teacher or County Extension Agent prior to the dates listed above for each species must bring their animal to the Navarro County Expo Center on the date and time listed above so the animal can be validated. Ag Science Teachers and County Extension Agents must bring all completed validation forms, nose prints and unused validation tags to the Navarro County Expo Center at the date and time listed above for each species.
                      19. Validation forms completed at the time of validation must include the physical location where an animal will be housed. If the animal is moved to a new location for a period to exceed two weeks (14 days), the NCYE must be notified within five (5) days following the move. A random check of animal location and exhibitor care will be made between the time of validation and competition at the NCYE. 20. Any exhibitor whose animal has lost a validation tag must notify the appropriate Division Chairperson within ten (10) days of the tag loss.

That part in bold where it says that the Ag teacher can Validate prior to the Validation deadline means he had the ability to validate your hog on several occasion but chose not to. Bottom line is, if you aren't in the Ag teachers Click your son probably wouldn't win anyway. I haven't showed in 35 years but somethings will never change.

Comment

Sucks the ag teacher is being that way.

But as said above. All the rules, dates etc. are public info. I have learned it's best to take care of everything myself and not rely on other people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Smells bad to me. I'd take it to the principal and on to the school board. They have the ultimate voice. Have all your documentation and stick to the facts. Won't help you and your son for this round but it might straighten out his little side business.

Comment

I would talk to his principal and then the superintendent of the school and school district. The Ag teacher needs to be held accountable for his action and lying about the problem. Have your paperwork and text all ready to show each. Stick to the facts and stand your ground.

Comment

Sounds like you didn't know all the rules because they were not clearly explained. It sucks that this happened, but I would call it a teachable moment. Get involved, learn the rules, policies, and procedures, and do it again next year.
                              The guy selling the animals seems a bit shady to me from your story. I would have been hot too if they put the blame on my son. Good luck.

Comment

Just chalk it up to a learning experience and go kick their *** next year. We had something similar happen with a lamb. We sat back a few years watching the ag teacher buy all of the animals and certain kids got the cream even when we said we would spend more money to get the cream. We got out of the program and started doing it ourselves and missed validation and didn't get to show at the state fair. At the time they traveled to each house for validation and missed our house when they did validation. Like you we were busy and forgot about it to ask. We were blamed for not letting the ag teacher know we had an animal but he knew we had a lamb because we told him. We then started our own program still showed under FFA but all we used the ag teacher for was to sign paperwork. We also started winning and placing animals every year after getting out of his program.
                                Last edited by coldgas; 02-05-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X