Truck tires on a UTV Crew Per PM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
    Huge fan of that deal. I need to find a welder to make me one.

PM me I build them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
      Very nice! Details on the lift/arms/tires/rims? Feeder is awesome!

High lifter 2” lift and forward A-arms 4” total,31/11.50R15 BFG not sure about the rims, bought them at discount tire.

Comment

Originally posted by REAPER5 View Post
        High lifter 2” lift and forward A-arms 4” total,31/11.50R15 BFG not sure about the rims, bought them at discount tire.

Can you stick a tape measure on your rig and give me the total height with your roof. Want to do the exact same thing but seeing if will fit in my garage.

Comment

My front windshield is also a split I can slide down for a breeze if desired. Here's another trick: Cut two small pieces of wood that will fit inside the window sliding track (1 on each side.) Your call but the way mine are cut, they leave about 4" open at the top.

Why....cut's down on dust a full windshield contributes to. Mine are cut so that the flowing wind does not hit me in the eyes, I'm tall, but still blocks the wind on cold days.

Tried a cheap back "plastic" windshield on the back but it really did nothing to cut down on the dust. The wood inserts made more difference than anything else.

Oh, looks great Reaper...you're going to LOVE the difference in ride with the tire set up..love mine!

Comment

I finally got it completed. With small chunks of time available over the last few weeks, I wasn't making much progress.

It was not a difficult job. The hardest parts were getting old bolts out and getting the camber set up the way I wanted. It wasn't hard, just a bit of a pain in the rump due to repetitive nature.

The impetus for this job were the bent stock a-arms and worn out shocks I needed to replace. With a little research, I stumbled onto the truck tire approach and it was all downhill from there.

I spent about $1400 doing this. Without going the truck tire route, I was likely looking at a $300 repair with new tires coming very soon afterwards. This was part of my justification.

As I mentioned, I had some issues with a couple seized bolts where the a-arms mounted. I took off my bumper before realizing these would need to be cut out. Had I known they needed to be cut, I could have done this with the bumper in place.

I bought:

OEM shocks
            HIghlifter springs
            SuperATV forward A-arms
            OEM replacement hardware for a-arms (bushings, tubes, bolts, nuts)
            MSA M32 Axe wheels in satin black, (15" x 7")
            BF Goodrich Mud Terrains in 215/75/15 tires

The shock assembly had me a bit on edge originally. I was a bit nervous trying out the ratchet strap method for disassembling the old shocks and assembling the new. It was a breeze. Not one time did it feel like there was any chance something could go wrong. I'm scared of those springs, but it was very simple to get put together.

Following a-arm installation, I used an angle finder to attempt to get the camber right. Once it was assembled, it was clear this didn't work. I pulled the tires and upper a-arms and adjusted, reassembled, checked, disassembled, adjusted...and so on until it looked right. I also had to monkey with alignment as I did not do a great job getting the tie-rods set up when I assembled. It's all in pretty good shape now.

The ride is amazing. It steers much more easily, rides more smoothly and, in my opinion, looks awesome. I need to slime the tires and then it will be ready for lease duty. I'm experiencing no rubbing on hard turns.

I did not document with pics well enough. I'll share what I have. I meant to weigh the new rim/tire setup to compare to the old but didn't.

I hope this helps! Thanks Kuma for all the inspiration!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-17 14.10.34 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	24533932

Name:	img_776504351_output (Small).jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	24533938

Name:	2018-03-11 13.41.53 (Small).jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	24533934

Name:	2018-03-11 13.42.01 (Small).jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	24533935

Name:	2018-03-11 17.42.45 (Small).jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	24533936

Name:	2018-03-11 17.46.29 (Small).jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	24533937

Name:	2018-03-11 17.46.20 (Small).jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	24533933

Comment

Dern that looks sharp! I forgot you bought Casper from Joey, how’s it doing?

Comment

Casper..errr, Uncle Jessie sits quietly in the garage waiting on a carb rebuild. That's the next job up on my list.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                  Casper..errr, Uncle Jessie sits quietly in the garage waiting on a carb rebuild. That's the next job up on my list.

Comment

This is sweet!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Casey, that looks great. I sold my Kawasaki Mule a couple years ago, and have the itch for a Ranger now. Hunting in WestTexas like Kuma, I think these tires are a great idea.

Comment

GREAT job Casey!! I'm glad you agreed the ride was so much better and it looks GREAT!!

This is one of those that you leave the lettering on the outside instead of black most of us do on our trucks. Congrats and enjoy......

Comment

Reaper, add some 2” wheel spacers and we would have the same set up!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Side view
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks great and I bet you love the ride??

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post

Where’d you find the best deal on the OEM shocks?

Comment

Working...
                                X