Wolf killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simek View Post
    I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread. It demonstrates just how controversial the wolf issue is, even to folks that, for the most part, spend a very small amount of time in states that actually have wolves.

By reviewing this thread, it’s pretty apparent that the position most folks take on this thread are either dominated by personal interests (I hunt elk, wolves eat elk, wolves are bad….I raise cattle, wolves eat cattle, wolves are bad) or political position (I am conservative, erego the friend of my enemy is my enemy).

One of the most difficult things for people to do (including myself) is to put truly consider the other persons POV. I have hunted out west on numerous occasions, chasing elk. Just because of that, it does not mean that I don’t realize the value wolves bring (aesthetically and economically) to a place like Yellowstone, where people from around the world come to see large predators, like wolves and grizzly bears.

The same Federal government that was largely responsible for sponsoring the large scale removal of wolves from the lower 48 is the same Federal government that is responsible for putting wolves back on the landscape. I have to imagine, at one point, there were probably some discussions that went something like…. “We really f’d up, we need to address this. How do we go about this?”

The reintroduction of a different species of wolf into the lower 48 was probably a no brainer at the time. You can’t bring back a species that is gone (or at least gone past the point of being able to find it using a reasonable amount of resources). With Canadian wolves being so easily accessible, it was probably the path of least resistance. Were there unanticipated negative results or did someone underestimate predation on elk and mule deer….maybe so.

Now, while I don’t personally agree with a good bit of what has been stated on this thread, I will agree that one of the best ways to keep personal opinion out of a situation like this is to base management on good science. If good science drives policy suggests that a population is recovered after meeting a specific number, then that number should be respected. After the number has been met, management goes back to the states and, if deemed legal, hunting season should be established, with $ generated from license sales going back to the states for conservation. One of the reasons the ESA has been hammered is the lack of “sticking to the plan”, which, in fact, is really not an issue with the ESA, it’s an issue with enforcement.

In the end, I personally feel that wolves deserve a spot on the landscape, but need to be managed, and that management should be based on sound, unbiased science, not personal interest or political leaning. Doing that, while easier said than done, can only be successful once people better understand what’s driving the position of those opposing them.

Thanks again for all the good discussion.
    I agree with what you say.....more or less. I will never agree with a POV that believes that the wolf is not responsible for the decline in game. never. To blame fish and global warming and anything else you can think of is not based upon fact. I do agree that many things have an impact.....but nothing like a set of teeth.

bringing them back has unintended consequences that will need to be dealt with.

Comment

The argument of wolves vs bears is not apples to apples anyhow. Bears aren't pack animals. They don't gather up in packs and hunt down and kill large prey. Large packs of wolves have to kill often and eat a lot. The days of endless bison and elk herds is gone forever. The ecosystem they existed in a balance with no longer exists. It is extinct. It's not coming back. Neither should the wolf.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

The lack of millions of American Bison and the introduction of a non-native sub-species made zero sense. It does not strike me as being good stewards of our natural resources. It was obvious to me back then, that the people pushing this idea had other motives.

Re-introducing a native species under the right environmental conditions, and intensely managing the situation seems more reasonable. But Still unlikely a good idea.

Comment

Good lord what a beast

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
            I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread. It demonstrates just how controversial the wolf issue is, even to folks that, for the most part, spend a very small amount of time in states that actually have wolves.

By reviewing this thread, it’s pretty apparent that the position most folks take on this thread are either dominated by personal interests (I hunt elk, wolves eat elk, wolves are bad….I raise cattle, wolves eat cattle, wolves are bad) or political position (I am conservative, erego the friend of my enemy is my enemy).

One of the most difficult things for people to do (including myself) is to put truly consider the other persons POV. I have hunted out west on numerous occasions, chasing elk. Just because of that, it does not mean that I don’t realize the value wolves bring (aesthetically and economically) to a place like Yellowstone, where people from around the world come to see large predators, like wolves and grizzly bears.

The same Federal government that was largely responsible for sponsoring the large scale removal of wolves from the lower 48 is the same Federal government that is responsible for putting wolves back on the landscape. I have to imagine, at one point, there were probably some discussions that went something like…. “We really f’d up, we need to address this. How do we go about this?”

The reintroduction of a different species of wolf into the lower 48 was probably a no brainer at the time. You can’t bring back a species that is gone (or at least gone past the point of being able to find it using a reasonable amount of resources). With Canadian wolves being so easily accessible, it was probably the path of least resistance. Were there unanticipated negative results or did someone underestimate predation on elk and mule deer….maybe so.

Now, while I don’t personally agree with a good bit of what has been stated on this thread, I will agree that one of the best ways to keep personal opinion out of a situation like this is to base management on good science. If good science drives policy suggests that a population is recovered after meeting a specific number, then that number should be respected. After the number has been met, management goes back to the states and, if deemed legal, hunting season should be established, with $ generated from license sales going back to the states for conservation. One of the reasons the ESA has been hammered is the lack of “sticking to the plan”, which, in fact, is really not an issue with the ESA, it’s an issue with enforcement.

In the end, I personally feel that wolves deserve a spot on the landscape, but need to be managed, and that management should be based on sound, unbiased science, not personal interest or political leaning. Doing that, while easier said than done, can only be successful once people better understand what’s driving the position of those opposing them.

Thanks again for all the good discussion.
            It’s complicated but it also tricky. Canadian wolf wasn’t the only option, they could of used the smaller Minnesota wolf..... but they didn’t. They claimed Bergman’s rule and used the Canadian variant.

The Canadian wolf has a place, in thier home Land... Canada, where they evolved. But Regardless of feelings or thoughts, they are here and won’t be allowed to go extinct again. They need to be brought down to the original “recovered” numbers, and that number maintained.

Comment

Wolves along the Colorado and Wyoming order are not new, they have been spotted this year NE of Laramie and for the past few years in the mountain range between Laramie and Cheyenne. They are here and exploring new range.
              In this part of Wyoming , and would have been on the Wyoming side of the border where that one was shot, they are considered predators and can be shot on sight. No need to sss, just report it to G&F. They will be in northern Colorado establishing packs before too long.

Comment

First tag I’m applying for when we move to Montana next month. I can’t wait!

Comment

Working...
                X