No announcement yet.

Another Superduty break-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is too much money spent on the wrong things. Chances are most of these people are repeat offenders. We have a revolving door system. It's not going to get any better.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
      So....if this is such a continual problem, then why not appropriate funding so that we can have enough police/detectives to pursue strong leads like those mentioned above and put these POS low life thieves in jail where they belong. Who makes up the budget for stuff like this? This is just pitiful. I realize that tax dollars drive the proverbial bus here but surely we can find the funding that would allow our police force to step up actions and put a dent in this type of crime. 1,691 burglaries per month is substantial! Is this something our state government determines? Maybe it's time to write our local representatives. This is just beyond ridiculous.
      Well....I work in Child Abuse. We are short handed. I used to work in Homicide. THey are short handed. Before that I worked in Robbery. We were short handed. The jail is on mandatory overtime with emergency funding every year (because they are short handed).

Getting the picture?

Everybody wants their case worked but nobody wants to fund it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
        I can understand where you are coming from. But after reading your post, I have a serious question - why even pretend? Why even fund a single officer for this task? Seems they could automate this by having a form you fill out online and then you print it out to give to your insurance.

Some scenarios described on this thread (if they are indeed ligit), would lead one to believe that anything short of shooting the perpetrator dead on the spot is not going to lead to any action. Please don't take this as an attack. It's not meant to be (at least not against the officer). The system appears to be broken so badly it may be better to just blow it up.
        There are forms (and some depts. have an online report for BMV). Our guys mainly work large, organized rings involving chop shops, etc. They do some proactive stings with BMVs, but when the problem is everywhere, kind of hard to make a dent. As mentioned, these guys get out before the paperwork is done.

There's more legal concerns and punishment for shooting a big buck at night than for breaking into people's vehicles and stealing their livelihoods.

Comment

And as I mentioned, the police don't really get to choose their funding amounts and targeted areas. Byatch to your city council or county Commissioners Court.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
            So....if this is such a continual problem, then why not appropriate funding so that we can have enough police/detectives to pursue strong leads like those mentioned above and put these POS low life thieves in jail where they belong. Who makes up the budget for stuff like this? This is just pitiful. I realize that tax dollars drive the proverbial bus here but surely we can find the funding that would allow our police force to step up actions and put a dent in this type of crime. 1,691 burglaries per month is substantial! Is this something our state government determines? Maybe it's time to write our local representatives. This is just beyond ridiculous.
            What would you guess the sentence is for a guy that has been convicted of car burglary over 20 times? Money is the driving force. There is no political will to build more prison to lock these guys up. Many years ago car burglary was a 3rd degree felony and the law had some teeth. It was changed to a misdemeanor and only recently it was changed to a state jail felony after a 3rd conviction.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post

Some scenarios described on this thread (if they are indeed ligit), would lead one to believe that anything short of shooting the perpetrator dead on the spot is not going to lead to any action. Please don't take this as an attack. It's not meant to be (at least not against the officer). The system appears to be broken so badly it may be better to just blow it up.
              Serious question. What would blowing the system up look like and how would it happen?

Habitual criminals will do what they do until they are incarcerated or change their ways. Some may get tired of committing crimes and eventually give up but chances are they are outbreeding the law abiding citizens. Many of these children will grow up to do them same thing. There will always be a huge incentive to break into vehicles as long as it is lucrative. I had a car burglar tell me he made between 2500-3000 a day. Hard to convince that guy to go get a job. Would you believe he told me his issues? He said he was tired of the crackheads just smashing the windows of cars for the GPS devices and selling them for $25 when he used to get double that. He claims there was no skill using a brick to break a window and they were driving down his income.

I have just decided the only thing I can do is not leave anything in my vehicle that looks to have any value. I have a locking steel toolbox on my truck that I utilize when I have anything I can't leave unattended.

Comment

10 years ago my wife and I were in Houston car shopping. We met her parents at a restaurant right at dark and had dinner and then when finished, we went to their house to spend the night. Before we left, I had a SWAT call-out and had to work late so she picked me up and we left without going home. I threw my smaller call-out bag in the trunk. That night when we got to her parent's house my call-out bag was not in the trunk. Her luggage was, but not my LEO bag. I called Harris Co SO and got the "we can't do much" response, but they took a report because I had a personally owned Glock in the bag. Was totally weird because there was no damage to the car.

3 months later I get a call at the PD from a HCSO Detective and was asked if the PD was missing a SGT's badge with the #501 on it. I said that it was mine.
                The Detective proceeded to tell me that an office responded to a noise complaint and when the subject opened the apartment door, he could see a police badge sitting on the coffee table inside the apartment. He asked to enter, and then noticed AICS magazines loaded with .308, handcuffs, and other police gear on the table as well.

The homeowner (a woman) said that she and her boyfriend would go around with trunk clickers and click them in parking lots until they saw taillights react and would then grab what was in the trunks. She told officers that her BF grabbed my bag, brought it to her apartment, and dumped the contents on the coffee table and then took the gun to sell it and left the other gear sitting there. The lazy chick just left it there for 3 months and luckily got busted because of her laziness. Even with her statement, the boyfriend who stole my gun walked free with no charges. She was on probation and went back to state jail for a few months and was ordered to pay me restitution of $750, but in 10 years, I've received 4 checks totaling just under $30.
                The excuses from the prosecutor for all the "nothing being done BS" was too heavy of a case load, too heavy of a probation load, and not enough time to prosecute the case.

Bottom line: Harris County or all major metro-plex's for that matter or a LOST CAUSE for justice on property crimes....even when the evidence is clear and right there for the taking. So glad I moved back to small-town-TX where cases get worked to the end and results happen when evidence is present... Day and Night difference.... I've worked for both major and small Depts....

Comment

Originally posted by bunkered13 View Post
                  Insurance said that they will fix the door but can only give us $250 for lost items. All of this just topped off a rough week for us because someone hit my wifes car on Wednesday and caused 7500 in damage.
                  You can file under your homeowners policy for items stolen from your vehicle. I had to do this when my truck was stolen, but recovered shortly afterward but everything was gone from the vehicle, including a lot of hunting items from the locked dog box in the bed of the truck.

Comment

Working...
                  X