Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bentman View Post
    You can't stop progress
    Maybe not, but that doesn't mean you have to shove it down people's throats.

By estimation, 55,000 people commutes more than once per week between the Houston area and the DFW Metroplex. According to figures released in March of 2016, there are 7.1 million people in the Metroplex and 6.6 in the Houston "area". This is obviously not current and would increase if you went not only by current numbers but also factored in all of Houston's sprawl, but let's throw that out for now and just go by the released figures. It come out to benefiting .4% of the combined population of both metroplolitan areas. That's less than half of 1%...

Whether or not it effects or benefits you,there is no justification. This is nothing more than a land grab while making a helluva lot of money for a few and nothing more.

Comment

Not surprising at all^^^

Comment

Originally posted by jcl View Post
        I would love to see high speed rail but they need to expand the track to the Sherman / Denison area to benefit me most. That way you could go all the way north to south without the congestion or hassle of driving up or down 45 or 35. Travel would be fast and trouble free.

The point of this rail is not for suburbs to commute to their large city nearby. The point is to travel long distance from Dallas to Houston. This thing is only going to have a beginning and an end. And MAYBE 1 stop in between Dallas and Houston (discussing Bryan/College Station). Basically going to go from urban DFW to Urban Houston. You get off, and then you are on your own from there. Take the local bus, rail, taxi, or Uber, etc. this is not meant to take you from building to building. But rather from Metroplex to Metroplex. There won't be any stops in small towns along the way so you can get off. Or suburbs so that you can ride it almost to your house. Most likely will take you downtown (or somewhere in the city) and that's it.

I'd rather take a train than fly. I'll admit. Cell signal and better multi-task capability. And yes, the train will require security. But I'm betting it will not be the same rigorous security as an airport.

But none of this negates the fact that people will be losing land. And that the government is crooked as hell on their projects. Ticks me off. No integrity in the government. No people of character. No one elected official holding his peers accountable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LWolken View Post
          Its been a done deal for along time. Look at the environmental study they just did. You don't pay millions for a study unless your trying to win over the public. They announced about two weeks ago there will be a stop near Roans Prairie. They already purchased land to begin building the station. We are down the road in Shiro. Property values are sky high with investors buying up small ranches everywhere so they can flip to rich buisnessmen that may want to build and use the rail.
          Rich people do t want to ride mass transit. Pretty poor business plan.

Comment

The fact that they won’t elevate it along I-45 screams land grab.

This will happen, good people will get screwed, and some people who don’t care will get rich(er).

Comment

People loose land all the time in Texas, i.e. powerlines pipelines, airports, highways, toll roads. Not many guys here on the GS complained about other land grabs but build a RR from Houston to Dallas and everybody gets mad.

Comment

Completely different situation bentman

pipelines dont render land useless or much of a disturbance to land owner. Easy to accept

airports and toll roads can be used my millions of people and even landowners themselves

powerlines while ugly dont render land useless to landowner and necessary to serve millions of homes and may be necessary for landowner to have electricity

This high speed train not only renders the land useless it takes up and an ugly sight to see but will be a noise problem. Plus, this will serve .5% of population of houston and dallas combined. That doesnt seem helpful at all. Look at a previous post that explains population of cities and weekly commuters who would use this train for that percentage number.

Lastly, the landowner while giving up everything receives no benefit of the trains usage. The landowner living between the 2 cities does not have a train stop to get on to help them get to the city and visit family easy. Nope, they still have to get in their car and drive to dallas and houston. So why on Earth would a person want a train going through the middle of their property that they cant use that only serves a few city slickers that commute daily to work between the cities when those people could fly, drive, or skype to do what they need to do

Comment

The more I read on here the few people that support this train with no thought into how it affects people and how few it will serve the more disgusted I am. I expect this from city slickers that think its just a bunch of country bumpkins and who cares about them but I expect more from this site than a bunch of mindless yuppies.

Comment

I wouldn't be affected in any way by the the railway being installed (besides inevitable paying for it through taxes). 1st, I have a very strong feeling that this will end in a situation quite like this one: http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...116-story.html
                    Granted, California land prices are much higher than here. However, it is a far smaller track.
                    Second, by the time this thing is actually completed (as previously mentioned) a lot of the technology will be obsolete.
                    Third, I expect that within 10yrs the majority of our travel will be done via self driving vehicles- which will make our travel times much faster and cheaper.
                    Fourth, many landowners will be affected adversely by something that has very little (comparatively) practical value.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                      Completely different situation bentman

pipelines dont render land useless or much of a disturbance to land owner. Easy to accept

airports and toll roads can be used my millions of people and even landowners themselves

powerlines while ugly dont render land useless to landowner and necessary to serve millions of homes and may be necessary for landowner to have electricity

This high speed train not only renders the land useless it takes up and an ugly sight to see but will be a noise problem. Plus, this will serve .5% of population of houston and dallas combined. That doesnt seem helpful at all. Look at a previous post that explains population of cities and weekly commuters who would use this train for that percentage number.

Lastly, the landowner while giving up everything receives no benefit of the trains usage. The landowner living between the 2 cities does not have a train stop to get on to help them get to the city and visit family easy. Nope, they still have to get in their car and drive to dallas and houston. So why on Earth would a person want a train going through the middle of their property that they cant use that only serves a few city slickers that commute daily to work between the cities when those people could fly, drive, or skype to do what they need to do
                      EXACTLY!!

Highways and roads are beneficial for landowners. Building them increases access for commerce and transportation...and increases land value. This boondoggle will do just the opposite for every community in it's path.

My Brother-in-law who stands to lose what he has worked all his life for if this thing goes through summed it up pretty well at a town hall meeting last year.
                      A spokeswoman for Texas Central was trying to sell everyone on the benefit it would have on the local economy during it's construction. How businesses like restaurants and stores would see increased sales from all the workers that would be employed in the area for a few months. After her "snake oil sales pitch" she took questions.
                      He told her, "All this temporarily increased business sounds great, but what about after all the workers are gone in a few months?? Isn't this thing really like a fun one-night-stand that leaves us with a lifelong case of herpes??"
                      She was speechless and red faced as she had no scripted answer for that question.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                        EXACTLY!!

Highways and roads are beneficial for landowners. Building them increases access for commerce and transportation...and increases land value. This boondoggle will do just the opposite for every community in it's path.

My Brother-in-law who stands to lose what he has worked all his life for if this thing goes through summed it up pretty well at a town hall meeting last year.
                        A spokeswoman for Texas Central was trying to sell everyone on the benefit it would have on the local economy during it's construction. How businesses like restaurants and stores would see increased sales from all the workers that would be employed in the area for a few months. After her "snake oil sales pitch" she took questions.
                        He told her, "All this temporarily increased business sounds great, but what about after all the workers are gone in a few months?? Isn't this thing really like a fun one-night-stand that leaves us with a lifelong case of herpes??"
                        She was speechless and red faced as she had no scripted answer for that question.
                        Awesome. Sounds like a great bro in law.

Comment

I would vote no,and im not anywhere close to it. its not needed

Comment

Governor Abbott has come off the fence and now says that the bullet train boondoggle has his "full support". Please send him a quick email to let him know how you feel about it!

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                              Governor Abbott has come off the fence and now says that the bullet train boondoggle has his "full support". Please send him a quick email to let him know how you feel about it!

https://www.facebook.com/TexansAgainstHSR/
                              Of course he's for it now. It's easy to take the payoff when you know you screwed your chances at reelection during the covid debacle.

Comment

Makes way too much sense,just to build another N/S highway.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X