Concrete slab question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
    I DID pour my 40x80 for about $4.55 a square foot.

BUT, I work for an engineering firm, so I had a PE (that's a good friend) run the calcs to give me bar size, bar spacing, beam size and beam placement. I did the detail drawings and gave them to my contractor. He added a few things that he likes to add, like a 3'x3' chunk, where the beams intersected under the columns. He got it all dug out, then it rained. So my beam got re-dug, a little bit bigger. I bought all the rebar and hauled it to the site. I paid the concrete company direct, as well as the pump truck. Basically I eliminated the markup on the materials. The contractor was actually OK with it because he's a mom-n-pop shop and he didn't have to front any cash.

I know this won't work for everyone, but that's how I did it.

It is definitely possible. Because you had good contacts helps the DIY. If I am second bidder I usually ask questions that the cheaper guy did not ask.

What did you pay per yard of concrete if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
      It is definitely possible. Because you had good contacts helps the DIY. If I am second bidder I usually ask questions that the cheaper guy did not ask.

What did you pay per yard of concrete if you don't mind me asking.
      I'd have to look back, but I think it was $95.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
        I DID pour my 40x80 for about $4.55 a square foot.

BUT, I work for an engineering firm, so I had a PE (that's a good friend) run the calcs to give me bar size, bar spacing, beam size and beam placement. I did the detail drawings and gave them to my contractor. He added a few things that he likes to add, like a 3'x3' chunk, where the beams intersected under the columns. He got it all dug out, then it rained. So my beam got re-dug, a little bit bigger. I bought all the rebar and hauled it to the site. I paid the concrete company direct, as well as the pump truck. Basically I eliminated the markup on the materials. The contractor was actually OK with it because he's a mom-n-pop shop and he didn't have to front any cash.

I know this won't work for everyone, but that's how I did it.
        I'm not saying it's not done but I do it for a living and can't pour concrete for myself that cheap so how could I do it for someone else? I'm guessing as I don't know ow details of the foundation but you had roughly $3.50 a foot in material/pump and that is on the low end. Leaves a $1.05 in labor to provide forms, equipment, and labor to form up, dig beams and place material, tie rebar, and finish concrete....oh yeah and still have to take my profit out of that.

Like I said I hear people say they paid or got quotes for that price range. I guess the difference may be I have done this for 20 plus years, have insurance, and answer the phone if the you know what hit the fan. I believe there a people out there doing it for this cheap I am just not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
          Not true. The finished floor is 1 1/2" higher than the sheet ledge.
          My apologies I was thinking completely backwards now that I think about it.... good catch sorry for my dumb comment please ignore.

Comment

Working...
          X