• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nada

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Bare hands...

Comment

I don't get it, personally. Unless you cut yourself the gloves aren't going to matter, and if you cut yourself (which is easier to do with gloves on, at least for me) the gloves won't protect you, since they're cut.

I keep a bowl of warm soapy water on hand, and wash between each phase (gut, skin, quarter).

I prefer to gut animals over gutless method; I find it faster overall and like cooking pork ribs. Anus, sternum, unzip, and gravity does most of the work.

Comment

Nitrile gloves at a minimum. Most of the time shoulder length with nitrile over the top. If we had running/hot water, I probably wouldn't mess with either.

Comment

Over the wrist nitrile gloves and a cut proof glove on the left hand.

Personally, I don't like the feel of the blood under my nails, but the biggest reason - zootonic diseases. It aint' worth it. Brucellosis will mar your immune system for life.

Comment

Gut gloves?

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
              I probably wouldnt gut anymore either if i processed myself all the time, but if you take to a deer processor, they usually want them gutted. i just wondered if everyone wore the shoulder length type gloves to cover up your entire arm or just the plain surgical gloves. or both. if you dont bust the chest cavity, you gotta reach way up there and entire arm has potential to get bloody. just wondered what everyone did.

I doubt the processor would do much with the rib cage if it was brought in. All I Take are the four quarters and sometimes the backstrap. tenders go home with me. so if hung tail up- no need to gut or "reach way up in there" .

Pineywoods- the man I know who spent time in the hospital was skinning a Deer outside of the booming metropolis of Groveton,Tx. so nothing exotic about his accident , very much so an East Texas pineywoods speciman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I use dish-washing gloves as well. Makes clean up a breeze!

Comment

I started wearing them after the state trapper several years ago was trapping hogs on my dad's farm in Navarro Co and he would draw blood and test a certain percentage of the hogs before they killed them. If I remember right about 50% of the ones tested either had brucellosis or sudo rabies. So after that I made it a point to always wear gloves before field dressing. I guess now I will need to wear them making sausage also since I started making my own.

And yes people can get these diseases also, they are just called something different!

Comment

bare hands....still got my manhood for now

Comment

I wear gloves for protection and easier to clean up afterwards. I gut on the spot and if the temperature is cold enough, I like to skin and let them hang for a day or two. A buddy from La Grange told me that one of his hog hunting friends died from a staph infection he contracted after cleaning a wild pig.

Comment

I wear elbow length rubber gloves. They're actually chemical gloves I think. My father ordered 3 or 4 pairs for us. I keep one pair in my truck for hunting locally and one pair at the lease.

Comment

latex gloves for me. Easy to keep a couple pair in my hunting bag.

Comment

Shoulder length gut gloves for me in most cases - at a bare minimum some type of rubber gloves if I don't have any shoulder length around

Comment

I use latex gloves. Not worth the risk, especially when cleaning hogs. Not to mention, clean up is easier.

Comment

Latex or nitrile for cleaning animals. Also when processing raw meat. Just makes clean up way easier as well as containing raw meat contamination around the house.

Comment

Working...
                                X