• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    I think a few have been in the 70+ million range
    The one pictured above was $60M.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
      I'd feel better about it if schools were improving, hiring competent teachers, teaching real life skills and actually putting that money towards the education of the child. Instead it's about new schools, stadiums, gyms etc. While the kids get taught nonsense. I'm friends with a lot of 1-8 year teachers. Trust me, it's scary.
      I will agree with this, being an educators kid (both parents working for a big school district in SA) its spent on a lot of BS. New schools being built left and right at the tune of $100 mil or close. stupid programs that are just feel good for the district and making sure that everyone knows about it. It has become less about the kids and more about the grown ups trying to feel good or saying look what I/we did/built for the community while the older schools have to fight the a** off trying to get their improvement budgets approved and done the right way whether than cutting corners to save money.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        How is this?
        He owns property in different school districts, obviously.

Comment

Allen is building this just for 9th grade. The Lowry Freshman Center.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5787bb00dcec2_image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	24527570

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
            I will agree with this, being an educators kid (both parents working for a big school district in SA) its spent on a lot of BS. New schools being built left and right at the tune of $100 mil or close. stupid programs that are just feel good for the district and making sure that everyone knows about it. It has become less about the kids and more about the grown ups trying to feel good or saying look what I/we did/built for the community while the older schools have to fight the a** off trying to get their improvement budgets approved and done the right way whether than cutting corners to save money.
            I agree, but unfortunately things will not change. I cannot understand why teachers take back seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Aric View Post
              Why is it that everyone jumps right to the government is the only wasteful spenders in the world? Why not be mad also at oil companies for high gas prices and buying luxury boxes at sporting events for customer meetings? Why not get mad at drug companies for the exorbitant cost of prescription drugs? Or doctors for extremely high medical bills? Or salesmen, lawyers, dentist and executives for making too much money. Heck, I know guys making 6-digits at refineries with a high school diploma. Are these guys overpaid and dollars being wasted on them? I hardly doubt it. Government employees be they managers or rank and file, work hard for their check just like the rest of us. All lines of business make bad financial decisions daily that cost everyone of us in some way is all I'm saying. We could be worse off. Ask almost anyone in a third world country and they'd trade places with us at the drop of a hat.
              Way to many people missed your point.

I feel inflation is to blame, it’s rising faster than the average person can keep up. An example that most people here can relate to, look at hunting cost. What did a lease cost a few years ago and has the average Joe’s salary kept up with it. Also, what’s the average person buying now vs what the average person was 50 years ago. I tell a lot of my friends to quit buying crap that doesn’t make you money.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                High schools with 20+ million dollar football stadiums. Why?
                I live in Katy and I would rather pay $40-$70 million for one stadium then each high school get their own $20 million stadium.
                Last edited by Homer75; 01-26-2018, 12:06 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                  The CADs and their minions have to get the fat salary and raises each year they are paid. Do a little research on the cad employees and what their property appraises for compared to comps. It’s an eye opener.
                  You want infuriate yourself even more. The answer I get 8 times out of 10 when I call the CAD about an error, appraisal, or anything really is "I don't know, call so and so at (insert third party private consultant they pay to do all the work).

Comment

How is this?
                    Owning property in different school districts and good old Robin Hood.
                    The City of Austin is now sending out more money than they get to keep. It’s krazzy.

Comment

We pay school taxes on a lake cabin we can only access by boat hows that no one will go to school from there

Comment

Taxed when you earn it, taxed when you spend it, taxed what you own, taxed when you sale it.

Plus the items you buy have all The tax’s that the business had to pay rolled into so the cost of the item is inflated tax cost before you pay sales tax on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Property taxes could easily be lowered if the education system was held to actual standards. Look into where the majority of the education budget goes, hint, it’s not the classroom. It would also be nice if the government enforced the laws and regulations concerning teacher to student ratio; instead they put one teacher with one special needs student, and then put thirty nine students in a math class with one teacher and the district brags about having twenty students to one teacher.

Go to your school board meeting and ask some tough questions...you’ll realize pretty quick that these people aren’t used to being questioned and they’ll do their best Hillary impersonation.

But to answer your last question, yes, the voters are stupid. They believed the tax appraiser when he said that the new Leander ISD bond wouldn’t raise taxes and that their would be no raises in taxes for the next decade. I guess I’m not too good at math, but adding 1.2 billion to your debt (which is less than one third of what they’ll be adding over the next ten years) will have to be paid off some how, or maybe we just plan on defaulting on it.

I could go on for pages about education reform, but I’ll end it here by saying that it’s pathetic that the State Rep who is doing the most to actually reform our schools and get away from the beaurocracy is a Democrat from out around El Paso.

Comment

How is this?
                            Home is in one county where we don't have a child attending school.
                            Lake house is in a another city where we don't have a child attending school.
                            Rental property is in another city where we don't have a child attending school.
                            Colorado property is in a another city where we don't have a child attending school.

About the only district I don't pay taxes in is the one where my child attends, but I pay for that through a different state mandate

I love January.

Comment

I have already started saving for next years taxes

Comment

the new schools have almost everything to do with it

Comment

Working...
                                X