Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you spend to save a pet’s life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vets can usually tell a sucker when they walk in the door. I won’t pay big money just to prolong the inevitable. I love my dogs as much as anybody here, but dogs are just that.... dogs. They aren’t family to me and I can’t look at them the same way I do my kids. We’ve got a yard dog here. She’s the sweetest thing in the world and loves both kiddos. She loves it when the kids play outside and is right in the middle of them. But she has a pallet outside and stays outside. I’ve been to people’s house before who wouldn’t make their dogs get off the couch for people to sit down. I don’t stay at places like that very long. I know I have a different outlook on animals, but that’s just the way I see it. No way I’d spend $7,000 on one at the vet.

Comment

People place way too much value on pets these days. To each their own but I grew up in an environment where if an pet had to be put down, you did it yourself. Is that heartless? No, because it was not an easy thing to do. As a society, our perspective on pets has changed. They are not "children" or "kids". IMO.

I'm putting on my flash suit now. LOL.

Comment

Spent nearly a grand trying to save my wives pet rabbit. When we take in a pet, we accept responsibility for its well being.

Comment

You know there was a time I would have put a number on this but we recently adopted a rescued dog and I know he's not a person but he's a big part of our family. I'm not going to let him die over money. So my answer is what ever it takes. I'm not going to prolong suffering though. My vet is also a close family friend so that helps.
          Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-25-2018, 05:48 AM.

Comment

I know someone whose family spent 10k on a stray cat that wondered to their place. This is also the same family who freely feeds the strays and has somewhere in the 20,30 or even 40s of cats running around. Ok that might be an exaggeration on the high end but it’s a **** load.

Me on the other hand it depends on the situation. I’ve had dogs I would spend money on and some I put down myself. All depends on the dog.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

We just lost our dog recently and we spent somewhere around $2,000 to diagnose a disease she had. We then spent $200 a month on a treatment shot that let us spend another 6 months with her.

I would spend that all over again even if it was for one month because I miss her so bad.

Comment

$150.00

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                  People place way too much value on pets these days. To each their own but I grew up in an environment where if an pet had to be put down, you did it yourself. Is that heartless? No, because it was not an easy thing to do. As a society, our perspective on pets has changed. They are not "children" or "kids". IMO.

Yup^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                    Sounds miserable.

It would be miserable if I didn’t value human life as much as I do.

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
                    Man I hate to hear that you've gone through that. You've certainly had a rough go of things with your family. Ironically - as crazy as it sounds, I think you could actually use a really good dog in your life. You'd be amazed at how much happiness they can bring you if you'll let them in. Just my two cents. Prayers up for you for all your suffering with the loss of your family members.

I appreciate the thoughts! It was tough but the truth is, if you are close to, love and value other peoples lives over a long period of time, eventually this is what you’re going to go through. If you place animals in the same or similar position as people you will go through similar with them. The only problem is, animals are not as valuable as humans, not even close.

I have had dogs, so I know what it’s like, but I take a my responsibility for caring for my wife, kids, grandkids in-laws very seriously and some times that is so difficult I wonder if I’m going to be able to make it through. The last thing I need is another (less valuable) life to be responsible for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have $10kish in my weim and I’d spend another 10 grand on him right now if I had to. I have no kids. He’s my family and so long as his quality of life will remain good, I wouldn’t hesitate to empty my savings account for him should the need arise. I have been very lucky with my GSP but she is no different. I would drain my bank account for her as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I spent $127, on shots for a dog, about 25 years ago. I still remember that amount because I only had about $300 in the bank til payday. 15 minutes after the shots, the dog jumped out of the truck and got ran over by a car and died. If I wouldn’t have taken her to the vet that day, no tellin how long she woulda lived. And I woulda saved $127.

Comment

We've got a hard enough time taking ourselves to go see the doctor with the way insurance is so you can imagine where the dogs end up on my list. That said, the kids (4 and 6) have become particularly fond of the dogs, so who knows what kind of debt I be unwillingly getting into should the dogs need to go to the vet.

Comment

I must be in the wrong line of work, cuz I ain’t got $7-10 grand to spend on a pet!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              I’m not sure what I would do if all I had was a biscuit eater that I didn’t do anything with but throw a stick for occasionally either. I guess it just depends.

But my past labs have had a lot of time and money invested in them for duck and dove hunting training. When you get a good one it’s more than just putting a 22 to the head and waiting for the next biscuit-eater to show so you do what you can to save them within reason.

I’m not trying to sway your thinking, I’m just explaining why I personally would put a good amount of money into one medically. That being said Abby, I mentioned earlier, was retired from all that and she went from super to “oh ****” overnight. It caught us by surprise so we took a chance hoping to get a few more years out of her considering all we had been through hunting wise in her previous 11 years. And also we have no kids to spend it on.[emoji41]

Not much better in the hunting world than a good working retriever.
                              It's true about the time and effort involved. One reason I spent the money on a well bred lab with health clearances in the family blood lines and why carrying an inexpensive insurance policy gives me room to work with on catastrophic events like snake bite or . . .

That said said I still can't put her on the level of a person and dump my life savings to save her. But I do have to consider the investment and spend accordingly.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post

This^^^ Grew up on a farm and they come and they go... That was just the way it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X