Hog "management" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog "management" question

After 6 years of no hogs at our lease they showed up last season and have stuck around. I now have a group that consists of a sow and 10 piglets that show up every night at sundown. I know many of you despise hogs but I like the idea of having them around and here's why.
    They haven't (yet) done any damage to my feeder. They clean up all corn after the sun goes down which doesn't allow any deer to come by at night for a snack. I have actually seen more deer during light hours than ever before at our place and I think this is due to the fact that there isn't any corn on the ground for nocturnal feedings.
    My question is this, if I shoot the sow, would the piglets continue their routine and come back? If I shoot a piglet would the sow return? I know I'll get the kill all pigs response but I really don't mind having them around and have seen no issues that they've created.

If you kill 2 out of a group of 10, 15 will survive.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      Annnnnd now I'm cleaning water off of my monitor. Thanks.

I don't see other adults with any regularity. I just don't want to scatter them.

Comment

I would be shooting as many piglets as possible and see how that goes. If it starts getting out of hand, smoke the sow.

Comment

just remember. 3 times a year is how often they can give birth to a batch of piglets.

Comment

Kill the sow, then kill the piglets. Piglets will stick around till they get bigger.

Comment

I had a similar situation a few years ago. Shot the sow first. The piglets stayed in the same routine for several weeks allowing me to kill most of them. This was with a bow so don't know if rifle would give the same results or not.

Comment

Piglets are about 2-3 months old by now and growing fast. At what age can they begin to reproduce?

Comment

If you want hogs, just keep feeding them. You'll have hogs. Three or four years from now, think back and see if you still want hogs........

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    I can't argue with the math here, it looks sound.

I too feel as you do but if they stay they will get out of hand.

Comment

The way it works for us is we shoot a couple, they all disappear for about a month, then they come back with more. We shoot a few, they leave, they come back with more.... and so on..

Comment

Today.....I wish I had hogs.

Next Month........Yeah.....I have hogs but I am a not wanting to get rid of them.

6 months later........I only want to shoot 1 or 2.

Next year.......I am over run with hogs......how do I trap them.

Seriously, shoot them early and often. You have to remove 80% a year to get 0% growth and you will never do that. Shoot suppressed.

3 litters a year with 8-10 piglets. First litter will litter by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          If you want hogs, just keep feeding them. You'll have hogs. Three or four years from now, think back and see if you still want hogs........
                          THIS is the thought that's hanging in the back of my mind.

Comment

You may think you want hogs now but as mentioned in a few yrs you will despise the bastages!!! Kill the SOW now and then work on the piglets.

Comment

I suggest 12 guage with 000 or 0000 buck and go Rambo on them, starting with the sow....

Comment

Working...
                              X