No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been gone for the weekend, so hopefully my plants survived the near freeze from this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
      Garden is looking good these days!

Looking good, Scotty

Comment

I was afraid my garden was going to be trashed friday and saturday night, but it appears to be ok. My first year to do a garden.

Comment

I'm thinkin' wife will have to replant most of hers. That last big rain came right after she had finished getting everything in the ground. Okra and peas might make it, but all her squash/zucchini and egg plants are toast. Pepper plants don't look too good.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            I'm thinkin' wife will have to replant most of hers. That last big rain came right after she had finished getting everything in the ground. Okra and peas might make it, but all her squash/zucchini and egg plants are toast. Pepper plants don't look too good.

That stinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I made GREAT progress today!! Got the rows plowed. Wife will start planting tomorrow! We might just make this happen!

[ATTACH]901385[/ATTACH]
              I have a few plots I need to break ground on. From raw land to what you've done, what is your process?

Comment

Our little garden is loving all this rain! Before too long we will have tomatoes and carrots coming out of our ears.

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                  I have a few plots I need to break ground on. From raw land to what you've done, what is your process?
                  First thing I did was to round up the general area I wanted to break up. Then after a week, I used a 72" 3 point tiller on my tractor and broke it up slow with high revolution/slow forward speed. One pass really pulverized it good, but I went over it twice in reverse directions to each other. The first year we fought weeds all year in the garden. Once the season was over, I turned it over a couple more times. When "green up" started, I shot it with round up again, then tilled it once more. After that, I just put my bedding attachment on the tractor and made the rows... With that tiller, if you don't have big roots/rocks, one pass will make it look pretty much like the pics I posted. If you can kill the weeds first, your fight will be easier to stay ahead of with respect to the weeds... I also got my wife a front tine tiller with plant guards on it so she can go between rows with it to keep the weeds down. All she'll have to do manually with a hoe will be in the actual rows between plants.

If you don't want to use the round up, mow the ground as short as you can, then just till it once a week or so to keep turning over the weeds. Most will die.
                  ...hope this helps.

Comment

Scott - your garden is looking great, as always!

I finally got all my potted plants in, after unloading a bunch of protein tubs, a trailer load of mushroom/turkey compost, and mixing in some soil. Next up will be planting potatoes and okra, and weedeating.

Comment

Got my garden planted a couple of weekends ago. I'm trying straw for mulch this year to see how well it keeps the weeds down and hold moisture. Neighbor just bought a 3 point tiller so we tore up some ground outside of the back fence. May try to put in corn or a melon patch if I get enough time to go get some good soil to mix in.

Comment

First thing I did was to round up the general area I wanted to break up. Then after a week, I used a 72" 3 point tiller on my tractor and broke it up slow with high revolution/slow forward speed. One pass really pulverized it good, but I went over it twice in reverse directions to each other. The first year we fought weeds all year in the garden. Once the season was over, I turned it over a couple more times. When "green up" started, I shot it with round up again, then tilled it once more. After that, I just put my bedding attachment on the tractor and made the rows... With that tiller, if you don't have big roots/rocks, one pass will make it look pretty much like the pics I posted. If you can kill the weeds first, your fight will be easier to stay ahead of with respect to the weeds... I also got my wife a front tine tiller with plant guards on it so she can go between rows with it to keep the weeds down. All she'll have to do manually with a hoe will be in the actual rows between plants.

If you don't want to use the round up, mow the ground as short as you can, then just till it once a week or so to keep turning over the weeds. Most will die.
                        ...hope this helps.
                        Thanks. I kinda figured that some chemical spray was used. I've been using the plastic mulch which really helps to warm up the ground, retain moisture and combat weeds. Your rows look real nice

Comment

My potato plants aren't coming up yet. Planted them a week to 10 days after Valentines day. Should I be concerned?

Comment

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
                            My potato plants aren't coming up yet. Planted them a week to 10 days after Valentines day. Should I be concerned?
                            Yep, likely too wet or something... but they should be up in 10 days or so after planting. My brother planted his on Valentine's Day, and he's already hilled his once and about to do 'em again.

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                              Thanks. I kinda figured that some chemical spray was used. I've been using the plastic mulch which really helps to warm up the ground, retain moisture and combat weeds. Your rows look real nice
                              Thanks on the rows... however they don't look so nice right now... They were completely under water for about 3-4 days when that last big rain came thru... Then this weekend while I was gone, my rancher's cattle got out and stomped all through the area... It is NOT going well for wife's garden this year...

Comment

Hilled them... I planted taters for the first time.. they are up.. what am I suppose to do about this Hilling them job??

Comment

Working...
                                X