No announcement yet.

Deer in a cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My target is 7-10 days. I have gone longer up to 2 weeks. Like most, I layer the chest with ice then meat and repeat. I drain each day and refresh when needed. I know some guys that do this method and keep for 2-3 weeks and it’s fine. As long as your harvesting, taking care and preparing your game, there is no incorrect way. Hunt on...

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      I have done a few weeks. I had a piece of ply board with a lot of holes drilled in it. I had blocks I’d put in bottom of ice chest. Fill bottom with ice deer on top of plywood. It’s red meat as long as it stays cool it is good to go
      Don't think I would want Chinese plywood glue in the same container as my meat.

Comment

I'm in the 7-10 day crowd. I've placed most deer directly on the ice and and haven't noticed any real taste difference other than the discoloration. This last deer, i lined the bottom of the cooler with ice in the bag and placed deer directly on top and then put two more bags of ice in the bag on top of the meat. It stayed plenty cool with none of the discoloration. Only time will tell with the taste.

Comment

Last night we had a neck roast that had been in trashbags in the cooler for 11 days. It was delicious, will finish processing the rest today.

Comment

I keep mine on ice 7-10 on average but recently deboned and cleaned one up that sat in ice for 15 days.

Comment

I keep mine on ice 7-10 on average but recently deboned and cleaned one up that sat in ice for 15 days.

Comment

7 days is my usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                  20 years of ice bath, no bags, for 7-10 days. Drain periodically.

I had never heard of the "Don't let your meat get wet!" thing until a few years ago. I assure everyone, it does no harm to the deliciousness of the meat. Each to his own.

Being a curious guy, I started an experiment just 2 days ago, 11-25-2020. Killed 1 doe. Half will be aged in ice bath. Half in separate ice chest but kept dry and not in bags. Everything will be treated the same. Process, season, and cook the same. Then I'm inviting my neighborhood to come taste and score the 2 different methods. Then the world can have an unbiased, independent, objective evaluation of the 2 methods.

May the best method win. And may the odds be ever in your favor.
                  In for results!

Comment

Before I built my cooler I used an old Chest freezer. Turned it up to 36 degrees. Rigged it so I could hang the quarterS and covered the bottom with plastic news paper. I would let deer hang for a week, and then process. If you are taking it to a processor ask them to hang it for a week. You want to get the moisture out not add more in.

Comment

I had never heard of the "Don't let your meat get wet!" thing until a few years ago. I assure everyone, it does no harm to the deliciousness of the meat. Each to his own.

Being a curious guy, I started an experiment just 2 days ago, 11-25-2020. Killed 1 doe. Half will be aged in ice bath. Half in separate ice chest but kept dry and not in bags. Everything will be treated the same. Process, season, and cook the same. Then I'm inviting my neighborhood to come taste and score the 2 different methods. Then the world can have an unbiased, independent, objective evaluation of the 2 methods.

What were the results of this taste test?

Comment

Waiting...

Comment

Working...
                        X