No announcement yet.

Crazy or stupid: Going DIY for first elk hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've gone diy to the high country believe 28 times in 33 years.
    No chance I'd ever pay cor a guide

Comment

Another question for those who've been there: Rifle or Bow?

Nicer weather of early season appeals to me for safety reasons, but so does only having to get within 300 yards in the late season.

Comment

Watch the YouTube series "Land of the Free" by born and raised outdoors... they hunted 5 states, 50 days straight, all over the counter and posted em day by day. They shared a ton of tips, camping, calling etc.
        get onx maps!

Comment

Late season will require WAY more gear. Actually after doing a horseback in, i don't think I could get enough on my back for a 6-7 day back counrty hunt.

Comment

Look into drop camps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              Late season will require WAY more gear. Actually after doing a horseback in, i don't think I could get enough on my back for a 6-7 day back counrty hunt.
              Good point

Comment

made my 3rd trip this year bow hunting never been to colorado other than passing thru before that. no success yet but got really close this year been a big learning curve but always a blast and can't wait to go back so I'd sure your a leg up on many of us starting out if you are familiar with an area and done some hiking. heck I never owned a descent pair of boots till i planned my first trip.

Comment

You will be shocked how many people you will run into past 4miles now days. So don’t over think it.

Pack smart, learn basic calling and get to hiking. It’s that easy. If you are mountain savvy already the rest is just effort. Good look.

I suggest Born and Raised outdoors YouTube channel.. they just hunt hard, and the rewards show. No top secret sauce, just boot leather and calling.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                    Watch the YouTube series "Land of the Free" by born and raised outdoors... they hunted 5 states, 50 days straight, all over the counter and posted em day by day. They shared a ton of tips, camping, calling etc.
                    get onx maps!
                    X2

Comment

You’re not gonna find out if you don’t go do it. Don’t overthink it. If you have the budget then go chase elk! Heck, you have a leg up on a lot of people having already been to your hunting area.

Comment

I would definitely recommend an archery hunt. There is NOTHING like screaming bulls in the mountains, especially if you can get one to come in. Shot or not, calling one in is like nothing you have ever experienced.

Comment

Pick either unit. Go a couple days early. Go to the little airport in Gunnison and talk to the hobbyist pilots that hang out there. it will be easy to find one that will take you for an evening ride for a couple hundred bucks. You WILL find the elk. heck he probably already knows what meadows they will be in. mark them on gps.

Now finding elk up there doesnt mean you can get too them! Give it a day and hike in there ready to rumble.

Comment

If you're equating 'stupid' to a lack of success, maybe. But, if you're looking for a good time and a learning experience, sounds like it's a long way from stupid..

Comment

Do it!!! you can hunt 3-4 years DIY for what it would cost for one guided hunt.

Both of my elk hunts were DIY, came home empty handed but the experience and lessons learned were amazing.

Comment

54 is limited Draw for Archery

Comment

Working...
                                X