X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
    https://www.cedareater.com/

These guys are out of Comfort.

Below is what they say as far as the grass growing. Does the cedar mulch help out the oak trees at all?

Yes, grass will grow through the mulch as long as the density of the mulch is not over 2 to 3 inches thick. You will have areas of mulch that are thicker than 2 to 3 inches when we are clearing very dense and large stands of cedar. You may also have thick areas of mulch in areas where the cleared vegetation has been piled. We do our best to spread the material out but sometimes there is no way around it. If it is too thick for your needs, then you may choose to have us come back and re-mulch it. This will promote a quicker decay of the mulched material.
    Someone from there is supposed to get back to me. My job is probably too small for them to make the drive from Comfort.

Comment

Cedar Eaters is who I worked with primarily and Spence and Stan are good guys.

The size of area which I figured and is why I mentioned may be too small as they don't want to have to haul in a 300+ HP machine for a half day type job.

Comment

Black mouth. I did some in the hill country Florence area. About 5 acres and I changed my mind and tilled soil and planted mixed seed recommended by the county agent. Nothing grew. Guy came out and took samples and said acid was higher than area and to spread supplements to balance. Maybe since I worked it into soil. I'm no farmer, just didn't like juniper trees. I probably messed it up by running a tiller and then seeding 6 months later

Comment

We shred if its under 3" and cut everything else at ground level. Nothing is more satisfying than a big pile of cedar going up in flames..

Comment

I am in the Hill Country and am fighting the juniper cedars too. I looked at the mulchers and just didnt have the coin for them.

You can rent a skid steer with wheels for $1200/week delivered, with trax for about $2k. I used a bucket with teeth to push or pop the cedar trees up. It works great when the ground is a soft and wet. Pile and burn, just watch the wind and humidity. Or catch it on a rainy day in the spring when it is green. You wont confuse me with a full time operator by any means, but it doesnt take long to get the hang of it.

Comment

This before and after took less than seven minutes with our shredder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Black mouth. I did some in the hill country Florence area. About 5 acres and I changed my mind and tilled soil and planted mixed seed recommended by the county agent. Nothing grew. Guy came out and took samples and said acid was higher than area and to spread supplements to balance. Maybe since I worked it into soil. I'm no farmer, just didn't like juniper trees. I probably messed it up by running a tiller and then seeding 6 months later
                No harm, all areas are different and I can imagine that the acidity could've been higher there. I'm glad you got rid of them because I can't stand cedars/juniper myself.

We did a lot of research with Cedar Eaters and few other companies down near San Antonio to figure out what was the best method and how quick of a response we could get from the vegetation and we saw very good results from plant recovery in light mulch as well as plant diversity.

We let that mulch lay and cover the soil and then let God take care of the rest. But, depending on what your goals and objectives, you make decisions based on that.

It could have been the acidity, the seed, plant species, or rain. Now you know in your area what did or didn't work and can adjust from that.

I usually comment when I see blanket statements that one way is right or wrong if I have enough experience that I feel I can make an accurate statement on. I just want people to know that most of the time, just because something works in one place doesn't necessarily mean it'll work everywhere and we are all probably guilty of thinking that at times.

Didn't mean to offend and hopefully have enlightened everyone involved on our experiences.

Comment

How long did it take and what did it cost you to have those five acres mulched?

Comment

I did it with a front end loader, bobcat, and a rented mulching trailer. I think the trailer was a couple $k for the week or 40 hrs run time. I went over 40 hrs and they didn't charge xtra. I want to say it was $3k

Comment

If I did it again I would have rented another grappler and just burned it all. Mulching is not fast. If I was going to mulch I'd hire a company

Comment

I did it with a front end loader, bobcat, and a rented mulching trailer. I think the trailer was a couple $k for the week or 40 hrs run time. I went over 40 hrs and they didn't charge xtra. I want to say it was $3k
                        I got a guy that charges $1k per day for his shredder and thinks he can clear my 4 acres in a solid day

*fingers crossed*

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                          This before and after took less than seven minutes with our shredder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          What type/ size shredder is that?

Comment

If I did it again I would have rented another grappler and just burned it all. Mulching is not fast. If I was going to mulch I'd hire a company
                            I don't care if munched or burned I just need mine cleared (need access)

Comment

Rent a bobcat Bigger the better and goto work. Burn 1 pile at a time sitting on tractor with loader. Drag loader backwards 25 feet around piles

Comment

The reason for the soil imbalance is dead vegetation pulls nitrogen from the soil during the decaying process. Burn them if you can. Even small controllable fires over time is better than leaving it.

Comment

Working...
                                X