No announcement yet.

Bum Phillips....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A true Texas Legend! I always wondered why Bum settled down in Goliad when he could have lived anywhere but then again he was a simple man. I would often see him at the grocery store. He's up there in my book just like the defenders of the Alamo.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
      Bum Phillips’ first head coach job was at Nederland High School for five years. He went on to other coaching jobs but came back to that area about 6 years later to coach at Port Neches-Groves. His son Wade graduated from PNG and I believe their quarterback. That long time rivaly is currently listed by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football as the #1 rivalry in Texas.

Bum Phillips died when he was 90 years old during the 90th game between them... and the score was tied when he passed away.

That game is now called the Bum Phillips Bowl. The first year the Bum Phillips Trophy was awarded by Wade Phillips.
      Man that's awesome. Great rivalry indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        Great Texas High School coach. Great college football coach. Great NFL coach. Helluva great Texan. When he was a commentator, he once said about Warren Moon, "That boy could throw a football through a carwash and it wouldn't even get wet".

Bama fans can thank Bum for the great defense that Bama had during the Bear Bryant era.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2016/1/...ryants-defense
        My dad fashioned his defense around Bum's . .

Comment

He coached in Amarillo too. Great man for sure.

Comment

Comment

He coached my dad at Jacksonville High School.

Comment

My old high school football coach played football with Bum at SFA. Like Bum, he also served during WWII, and came back home finishing college and playing ball. They remained friends til the end.

Comment

Working...
                X