Bum Phillips....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
    Met and talked to him many many times . He had a ranch between Goliad and berclair , my dad knew him well and did a lot of work for him ...
    My uncle owned a ranch just down the road from Bums. He played dominos with him many times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

RIP sir you will be missed Bum

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Every Texan should know who Bum Phillips is. If y'all don't then git to learnin
        Or leaving

Comment

Miss the days of Bum and Tom Landry.

Comment

My uncle Robert played and coached for Houston for years. We meet a lot of players from many of the teams he played for and took them fishing. They for the most part were just normal people who liked to get out where no one knew who they were. We took many people fishing on lake Travis in Austin or Quail hunting on own place in Victoria. Just good people having a good time.

Comment

Let's run the Bumarooski!

Loved the hat and boots on the sideline. His Texas drawal was classic!

Comment

Read the book out now by Wade Phillips (Son of Bum). Great book and I think you will love it..

Comment

X2 on Son of Bum

Comment

Originally posted by FirstCast View Post
                    My uncle owned a ranch just down the road from Bums. He played dominos with him many times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    Bum loved to play dominos. A group of Guys from Hallettsville played dominos with him a at place in Fulsher. Dan Pastorini & Bum went there all the time. Bum would pick up the bar tab on occasion. He was a great man.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                      I met his daughter on a couple of occasions, when we were in Advocare.

Best Bum story I ever heard was on the Michael Berry show, about when Earl Campbell showed up to training camp all fat and out of shape and only ran something like a 10- or 12-minute mile. The reporter made a big deal out of that and asked Bum to comment on it. Bum Phillips replied something like, "Yeah, well, if it's ever 4th and a mile we just won't give the ball to Earl."

Outstanding!
                      Another....To a reporter who said, "He sure gets up slow", after Earl Campbell had been tackled. "Yes, but he goes down slow, too”

Comment

He is from and coached where I live and every year when PNG plays Nederland the winner gets the Bum Phillips trophy.
                        Last edited by keestan31; 01-10-2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Comment

Great Texas High School coach. Great college football coach. Great NFL coach. Helluva great Texan. When he was a commentator, he once said about Warren Moon, "That boy could throw a football through a carwash and it wouldn't even get wet".

Bama fans can thank Bum for the great defense that Bama had during the Bear Bryant era.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2016/1/...ryants-defense

Comment

That will be my next book. Love You Blue. Great times.

Comment

Bum Phillips’ first head coach job was at Nederland High School for five years. He went on to other coaching jobs but came back to that area about 6 years later to coach at Port Neches-Groves. His son Wade graduated from PNG and I believe their quarterback. That long time rivaly is currently listed by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football as the #1 rivalry in Texas.

Bum Phillips died when he was 90 years old during the 90th game between them... and the score was tied when he passed away.

That game is now called the Bum Phillips Bowl. The first year the Bum Phillips Trophy was awarded by Wade Phillips.

Comment

Working...
                                X