Dairy Farmers, tell me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
    Valuable 2 cents and kind of what I’ve been thinking. I’d be taking over from a first generation Dutch immigrant that’s known nothing but Dairy his whole life. Very different for me.
    I know a couple of guys that have worked in dairies. From what they have said, it's a JOB.

Strangely enough, I used to know a Dutchman that owns a dairy.

Comment

That's a tough row to hoe right there, when I was a kid i worked some at dairy farms, twice a day 7 days a week, you do not take off on christmas or any other days. If the business would support it it then hiring one or two reliable muchachos would be wise.

Comment

$0.88-$1.68

This is when payed in 26 years per gallon from the best of times to worst for grade A, top quality RAW milk

So when milk get over $4.... ain't my fault

Comment

Taking over from Dutch is a completely different animal. They work together and co- op like no other. Labor is NEVER an issue inside their "group". They live and breathe dairy. Outside that "loop" good luck in the labor part.

Comment

I have a few dairy farmers in my family, and I can tell you it will be long days, every day, unless you have good help.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
              It’s an opportunity I always wish I had. Now it’s here....kind of like the dog catching the car.
              That says it all to me right there. If you love animals, love the responsibility, it will never be work. If I wasn't so dependent on my current salary and lifestyle, I'd be on that opportunity like a duck on a June bug.

My suggestion is to not work so hard that you miss opportunities to improve efficiency in the industry. Don't miss new technology. Always look for new and better ways to do things. Always ask why.

Comment

A dairy farmer heard about young man looking for steady work, so he hired him.
                The young man got up at 4 am, gathered the cows, milked the cows, cleaned the barn, put feed out, moved hay, then at 4 pm, he started gathering cows again, milked again, turned the cows out and cleaned the barn.
                By the time he got home and ate supper and got into bed, it was midnight.
                This went on for a couple months and finally the young man told the farmer he was quitting.
                The farmer was confused because the young man was a good worker, and had been seeking steady work.
                When he asked the young man why he was quitting, the young man said "I don't have a **** thing to do between midnight and 4 am"

Comment

How will you pay for the 800 acres of land?

Comment

Pm me owners name if you want. I probably know them

Comment

I was raised on a dairy, but that was some years ago. Almost everything was done by hand, even to pouring the milk up in ten gallon cans and putting it in the cooler. Everything is automated now, but that only made it easier to milk many more cows. It's still an eight day per week job. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
                        Hmmmm........ Bordens in Conroe huh...

PM inbound
                        Replied!

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                          I'm not a dairy farmer, but I know a few and if there is one thing I know about them, they are married to their farms. Unless they make enough money to hire a REALLY good foreman, they miss more family events, hunting trips, vacations, weekends away, etc than anyone I know. Twice a day every day and it never stops. Your life will never be the same. Some people don't mind that fact and others can't last a month.

The opportunity to take over a family farm can be a giant blessing but unless you love it and it's in your blood, it might not be for you. In this day and age, there are a whole lot easier ways to make a living than farming. But if you love it and understand the sacrifices, it can be an enjoyable lifestyle. My 2 cents.
                          X2 on this one. Also learning from scratch will have its financial pitfalls IMO. The true farmers around here that make a decent living have their land paid for by what ever means (family or inheritance). You don't see many younger Farmers also unless they are working the family farm. Good luck.

Comment

I know a few former dairy farmers. All are glad that they are former dairy farmers.

Comment

my parents live in Washington Parish, LA. (Franklinton). At one time, it was the largest dairy producing Parish in LA. I slowly watched many of the farms being sold and farmers getting out of the industry. 5-6 years ago the dairy co-op shut down and it's an abandoned building

Comment

Life is too short to be married to a job 7 days a week. The ONLY reason I would work that schedule is if I could punch out and retire 1 or 2 decades sooner than normal. You only live once and there is a lot to see and do in this world before your time is up.

I have recently wondered about the future of the dairy industry with the advent of Almond milk and soccer moms thinking that little Johnny/Janie are allergic to dairy products.

Also, if the government ever pulled back on dairy subsidies I suspect half the industry would go under.

Comment

Working...
                                X