HF farm animals, cheesey Africa hunts and Nick Nolte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
    Enjoyed listening to that. One thing I don't agree with here is the jealousy comment. Not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but I read that every time the high fence discussion comes up. That may be the case for some people but I am sure there are plenty of hunters (more than 1%) with plenty of money that have no desire to hunt high fences.....but perhaps they are just snooty in another way.

Rinella actually didn't have much comment on the fence thing, at least not on this podcast. I did find the whole discussion about "earning it" interesting especially when he was talking about his friend in North Carolina and hunting out of his box blind and comparing that to his dry mountain lion hunt. Two ways to look at everything for sure.
    A fine example is the member here that hated HF hunting then got an invite to hunt a known high fence place that is known for releasing fairly tame deer. He went. It changed his mind. He ate crow. So tell me....if I offer 10 guys a free hunt on a high fence ranch, do you think they'll turn it down? The vast majority of the time folks don't like it because they don't know what it's actually like. And a lot cannot afford it. I don't think I can find a better example than what I just posted.

Comment

I can see the point people try to make when they say negativity towards breeding and canned hunts divides hunters, but I don’t agree with it. That’s not hunting and everyone and their brother knows it, whether they’ll admit it, or not.

What those kick and shoots & freak deer operations do is give the outdoor community a nasty black eye among those people that are on the fence or indifferent about hunting. Most sportsman outside of areas where they’re prevelant are NOT fans of them. Anyone that I’ve ever hunted with here scoffs at them.

Now, I’ll admit that a several thousand acre fence is a different animal than a 4-500 acre pen, but it still impedes animals from moving naturally. How many animals in high fence enclosures would die if they stopped being fed by humans? I’d venture to guess that it’d be a LOT.

Being “legal” doesn’t always make it right. Abortion is “legal”, but many people feel that it’s wrong, so the “as long as its legal” argument doesn’t do much for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
        I have to drop in here and just say that this “purist” argument is just pure BS. If you are making your own weapon from the earth, making your own shoes and clothing to protect you from the elements and going out on public land where the wildlife isn’t being managed then you are a purist. If you’re doing anything other than that then you have NO room to criticize others about how they’ve improved their possibilities and advantages. It’s all about to what degree did we improve our chances. Our entire history has been about improving our abilities through technology, modernizing machinery, weapons, and strategy.

If you aren’t truly a purist then you really need to get out of this discussion or consider yourself a hypocrite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Silence the Lambs, they're talking again.

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Using that logic, could the purist then say
        If your not a purist your not a hunter?
        Ouch, that one hurt. Really low shot across the bow with a 5" deck gun there, I'm not sure that one was fair chase....

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        A fine example is the member here that hated HF hunting then got an invite to hunt a known high fence place that is known for releasing fairly tame deer. He went. It changed his mind. He ate crow. So tell me....if I offer 10 guys a free hunt on a high fence ranch, do you think they'll turn it down? The vast majority of the time folks don't like it because they don't know what it's actually like. And a lot cannot afford it. I don't think I can find a better example than what I just posted.
        I can't believe someone has finally defined real hunting.

Last edited by Thumper; 01-02-2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

To be honest I don't care either way. At this point in my hunting "career" I'll be just as happy in a tripod at a HF place as I will in a brush blind on the ground near a feeder. For us right now the hunt is to put meat in the freezer.... period. At some point I'd like to have a lease or own some land where I can stalk hunt but that is years away.

As for the other two trophies..... well I'm writing a check for those in the next few months. I can enjoy those no matter what the hunting season.

God bless and happy hunting.
          Richard.

Comment

Gotta do what makes you happy! Hunt however you want because ultimately I don’t care. Nor should you care if I care or should I care if you care. If that makes since.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Totally get what you are saying and I am probably splitting hairs. But isn't that akin to the best beer is free beer.....rather than equating to jealousy.

Back to the topic, I sort of go back and forth between agreeing with what groups like Pope and Young, Boone and Crockett, and QDMA say about this type of thing and being indifferent. I do have a lot more of a problem with kick and shoot scenarios vs high fence. I guess where I draw the line is hunting a "tame animal." Although come to think of it we have a lot of deer that don't act too wild where I hunt. (It's low fence.) But then again the ones I want to shoot never seem to be this way.

Last week my son and I were filling feeders and this little buck comes in to eat the corn. We did eventually scare him away (not intentionally). Feeding the deer changes things. Prior to us starting to feed protein on this ranch, this never would have happened. (Protein has been there 10+years). Ultimately it is up to each individual to decide what is right for them.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Kdog; 01-02-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                I like Rinella a lot, and I like his show a lot. He hunts harder than 99% of the hunters on this forum, and to me that adds weight to his arguments. I agree with him on most of the points made in this podcast. I don’t care how people spend their money, but to me a 130-inch low fence ETX deer is more of a trophy than most of the HF deer I see posted on here. A lot of hunting has turned into shopping (pick a genetically altered buck out of some pictures, agree on a price, and sit a stand by his favorite feeder)) or farming. When I say farming I’m talking about the guys who post pictures of deer for four years from the same feeder, determine he’s finally old/big enough, and then do a live hunt that lasts only until said farm deer shows up for the bite of corn that he’s been showing up for every day for four years. That feels more to me like raising a show pig than hunting a trophy buck. Now, to each his own. If those scenarios get you excited, more power to you. But I totally get where Rinella is coming from.
                This sounds like one of the overly generalized statements one of my buddies will make about most things he doesn't agree with or have tried.

I don't know a single person that has picked a deer out(shopped) and then went and shot it.

It does happen. But it's going to be the small minority of hunters vs "a lot of hunting has..."

Farming the deer is just good conservation. Without it WTD would've been wiped out 100 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                  I think the world has gotten spoiled with wanting everything right now and not putting in the effort to do it the right way.
                  I mean we've ruined deer hunting just like we've ruined big boobs, It used to be holy cow that guy is really lucky look what he got ! now it's, look at that A-hole he just wrote a check to get those LOL!
                  What! We’ve ruined big boobs

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                    As you yourself pointed out it took 4 years to get to that point. I guess no work was involved in that? I feel like you can make a strong argument this takes a lot more work than flying into a remote location, hiking to a high spot, glass up an animal, stalk within rifle range and shoot it.

I am not saying one is better or worse than the other. Two different hunts, but both can be extremely enjoyable.

PS: I am taking the high fence out of my equation.
                    No doubt it takes a lot of work. But the hunting aspect is far from a challenge. The raising of the deer is no doubt time consuming and takes patience and money, just like raising any type of livestock, which is what the deer on some of these HF ranches essentially are.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      This sounds like one of the overly generalized statements one of my buddies will make about most things he doesn't agree with or have tried.

I don't know a single person that has picked a deer out(shopped) and then went and shot it.

It does happen. But it's going to be the small minority of hunters vs "a lot of hunting has..."

Farming the deer is just good conservation. Without it WTD would've been wiped out 100 years ago.
                      Maybe not picking out of a photobook but close.

“100% success rate since 2006”

It’s 800 acres. 10k and I can shoot a 200” whitetail.

Do you think the probability of killing a low fence 200” deer is the same as killing a 200” HF deer?

If you think hunting 800ac Hf is the same as hunting 2000 LF then we will agree to disagree.

For the record, I am not bashing small HF ranchers. I don’t care how any man earns a living. I don’t care if you hunt 500 HF acres, if you pay 20k and pick the deer you want to shoot or you hunt 5000 LF. I just don’t think those 3 things are the same thing.

Comment

There are a LOT of threads on here with guys who post live hunts from HF ranches where they buy hunts and take giant animals. Maybe most of them didn’t pick out their deer beforehand, but a lot of them chose from a parade of giant bucks in their desired price ranges. No doubt there are challenging HF hunts available out there, and there are HF leases large enough that you are actually having to do some work to find your deer. but I couldn’t even begin to guess how many HF ranches there are in Texas where you’re pretty much guaranteed a shot at a deer in the price range of your choosing. I just can’t get excited about “hunting” for a big deer when all it takes to get him is a fat wallet and a couple days off to take a trip. I don’t begrudge anyone who chooses to take a deer that way, but it’s a far cry from putting in time on public land or a LF lease and working for a deer. And no, I haven’t tried a high dollar HF hunt, and yes, I’d go on one if someone offered one to me for free. But while I might be happy to take a giant engineered deer on some canned hunt place, I wouldn’t feel near the satisfaction that I do when I take one in the woods of east Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post

Do you think the probability of killing a low fence 200” deer is the same as killing a 200” HF deer?

If you think hunting 800ac Hf is the same as hunting 2000 LF then we will agree to disagree.

For the record, I am not bashing small HF ranchers. I don’t care how any man earns a living. I don’t care if you hunt 500 HF acres, if you pay 20k and pick the deer you want to shoot or you hunt 5000 LF. I just don’t think those 3 things are the same thing.
                          This ^. My buddy raises giant deer that he sells to these ranches. They’re in a forty acre pen, and we ride around in his gator sometimes. They aren’t tame, but they definitely aren’t wild, and will kinda trot off when we get too close (30-40 yds, sometimes less). Then they’re dumped on these ranches and get shot.
                          He doesn’t market hunts, but the last few years he’s had a least one person pay to come “hunt” a deer on his 40 acres. It’s got maybe 10 acres of cover and one feeder. I just don’t get it, and to be honest, he doesn’t either.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post

It happens and people do it. I'm saying it's not at the rate of "A lot of hunting has turned into..."

Hunting of that nature is a 1% game. Majority of hunters aren't hunting like that.

My buddy I mention in my original post used to claim he hated guitar hero because, "everyone suddenly thinks they can play a real guitar." No one thought that, they just liked the game.

It's these sweeping statements that are made as fact that make me smile and smh

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                              I'm just here for the big boobs part.
                              made me laugh! thanks!!

Comment

It happens and people do it. I'm saying it's not at the rate of "A lot of hunting has turned into..."

Hunting of that nature is a 1% game. Majority of hunters aren't hunting like that.

My buddy I mention in my original post used to claim he hated guitar hero because, "everyone suddenly thinks they can play a real guitar." No one thought that, they just liked the game.

It's these sweeping statements that are made as fact that make me smile and smh
                                If it were only 1% it wouldn’t be a viable business model.

I made no sweeping statement. I googled “I want to shoot a 200” whitetail Texas.” I didn’t get passed the first result before I found a place that guaranteed it in exchange for 10k.

I paid to kill axis doe and a red stag hind before on a 1000 acre high fence place. I’ve never told anyone that Ive hunted axis doe or a red stag hind because I haven’t. I said I shot them. Because that’s what I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X