Disk Replacement Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
    Its more wear and tear with a longer recovery period. With spinal fusion, they literally screw titanium or cobalt rods into several vertebrae and it immobilizes the bad one. Like buiding a bridge over the effected section. It also limits your mobility. You cant flex very well with rods holding your spine together. Plus the location (my L4 and L5 which is the very last two disks above my pelvis) i would have a harder time going from sitting to standing or bending over.
    I have DD as well and I have had a left lateral partial fusion at L4/L5 for two years. I could bend and twist much like I could prior to the operation. I also have C2-C6 fused in my neck and have no real noticeable change in mobility. That's 4 joints and 6 affected bones.

Unfortunatly my bones grew back in the two years since the procedure narrowing the opening. It was causing pressure on the nerve and so I had a complete fusion done on 12/16 at L4/L5. Today as I type this I have been back to work since the 26th. I have no noticeable lack or change of movement.

I looked at the artificial discs and was discouraged from having it done because it was way more invasive than the lateral approach. I came back to work within 10 days.

As is mentioned above, get a couple of second opinions from different neuros, its your body.

Comment

Just reading this stuff makes my back hurt. I too have the L4-L5 issue. I'm putting it off as long as I can. Did the ESI route in 2009.

Comment

I've had back surgery twice. Den waiting for the replacement procedure and it is now possible. When I havee problems again then I will have replacement

Comment

I worked with a guy in Freeport until 2005 who had the disk replacement surgery done in the DFW area. I haven't seen him since then, but he would rave about how great he felt after the surgery. Insurance wouldn't cover it then, they said it was still an experimental procedure. He couldn't sit comfortably for even a few minutes at work, but was able to drive himself home 300 miles from DFW to Freeport the next day. He came right back to work and never complained, which wasn't what he was like before having the surgery. Everybody I know who has had the fusion surgery has regretted it. I still have a good back, so all I know is from other people. Good luck.

Comment

Yep. Replacement and fusion. 4 levels 2 years ago in Febuary. Ask any questions you want to know about.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
              Yep. Replacement and fusion. 4 levels 2 years ago in Febuary. Ask any questions you want to know about.

Geez, that looks absolutely brutal and painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                I have DD as well and I have had a left lateral partial fusion at L4/L5 for two years. I could bend and twist much like I could prior to the operation. I also have C2-C6 fused in my neck and have no real noticeable change in mobility. That's 4 joints and 6 affected bones.

Unfortunatly my bones grew back in the two years since the procedure narrowing the opening. It was causing pressure on the nerve and so I had a complete fusion done on 12/16 at L4/L5. Today as I type this I have been back to work since the 26th. I have no noticeable lack or change of movement.

I looked at the artificial discs and was discouraged from having it done because it was way more invasive than the lateral approach. I came back to work within 10 days.

As is mentioned above, get a couple of second opinions from different neuros, its your body.

Question,
                What makes the replacement more invasive? I dont know too much about either except the replacement does not require screws and does not require bone to heal. Most i know about it so far is from youtube videos i watched

Comment

I’ve had it done and glad i did , no issues at all now . Wish i did it sooner

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                    Geez, that looks absolutely brutal and painful.

Not going to lie, the recovery was no joke. The surgery itself was no problem. I had immediate relief from the back pain. The recovery was the painful part. Back to work at 6 weeks on light duty. No regrets getting it done.

Comment

I had my first back surgery at 21, L5 disk was ruptured. Dr cleaned it up and 9 years later I was back at square 1. At 30 I had the spinal fusion and it was great, and I have been good since and Spinal fusion has been great for me but I am very careful with my back now days, remember after a fusion is done on 1 disk it will make the rest of the disks more susceptible to injury, the load is on fewer disk and since you have L4 and L5 I would defenitly look in to replacement.

It is not that uncommon at your age, just make sure your dr knows what he is doing and good at it.

Comment

Hey bloodstick did you go through with the surgery? If so how did it go. I’m in the same boat but it’s my neck. I have done steroid shots, physical therapy and rfa but nothing has helped.

Comment

Working...
                        X