Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

mixing wild hog with venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
    I do that when I make breakfast sausage. I usually do about as much wild pig meat as deer meat. I then add pork trimmings in that I buy from the store. Grind it up and add my seasoning.

No particular reason. I just like the way it taste.
    ^ same thing here

Comment

Op if you are mixing for the purpose of hamburgers it will taste more like sausage (which ain't a bad thing). For burgers I would suggests mixing brisket with ground venison.

Comment

Originally posted by narco1 View Post
        Anyone done this for ground meat and if so how did it turn out?
        Great!

Comment

One of the things I try to do if I'm "iffy" about the pork is to take a piece of the port with some fat on it and pan fry it... usually with no seasoning other than maybe a little pepper. If it smells OK cooking, it'll likely be OK to mix with your venison. It it tastes good, when eaten by itself, it'll just add more flavor to your venison. If the hog is fat, I mean white layer all over the carcass as you skin it, try to leave as much fat on the animal as possible. When you mix that, you won't need to add pork fat. If it's not real fat, you'll probably want to add some fatback from the butcher. When making sausage (pan sausage or smoked) I prefer a good woods hog to mix with my venison.

If the piece you pan fry has a funky smell or tastes strong or has a "whang" about it, chuck it and go kill you another one but don't mix that in with your venison...

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
            I do that when I make breakfast sausage. I usually do about as much wild pig meat as deer meat. I then add pork trimmings in that I buy from the store. Grind it up and add my seasoning.

No particular reason. I just like the way it taste.
            ^^^ Enjoying some now that we did the same way. Only difference was using beef trimmings/fat instead of pork. Plan to do this every time now.

Comment

Yes. Hamburger, breakfast sausage, smoked sausage. Heck anything I want to.add fat to.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                During the season, I cut the meat that I am going to grind into chucks and freeze it as I kill an animal. At the end of the season I thaw it all out and mix it up, add some bacon bits and pieces for fat and grind it for ground meat. This year that will include WT, Aoudad, wild hog, and hopefully some axis. For sausage I get extra fat from the butcher and add that into the meat that will be made into sausage.

I like my regular ground meat pretty lean, but for sausage you have to have a lot more fat or it will be so dry it will choke you.....lol
                alot like what I do. I add bacon ends to the venison for the ground meat. domestic and wild pork for sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  One of the things I try to do if I'm "iffy" about the pork is to take a piece of the port with some fat on it and pan fry it... usually with no seasoning other than maybe a little pepper. If it smells OK cooking, it'll likely be OK to mix with your venison. It it tastes good, when eaten by itself, it'll just add more flavor to your venison. If the hog is fat, I mean white layer all over the carcass as you skin it, try to leave as much fat on the animal as possible. When you mix that, you won't need to add pork fat. If it's not real fat, you'll probably want to add some fatback from the butcher. When making sausage (pan sausage or smoked) I prefer a good woods hog to mix with my venison.

If the piece you pan fry has a funky smell or tastes strong or has a "whang" about it, chuck it and go kill you another one but don't mix that in with your venison...
                  Listen to this man... sounds like he knows what he's doing! That's what I do with mine.

Watch the fat content though, in that it may be too lean. If it's fat like Charlie says you should be good. I made almost 100 pounds of Italian sausage last year using venison and wild pork at my normal 60/40 ratio (usually venison/domestic pork) and it came out a little dry. Looking back I should have counted the wild pork with the venison and added domestic at my normal ratio as that pig wasn't fat, although the fat it had was good. If you're doing it just for ground meat and not sausage I would be tempted to throw some brisket in there too.

Comment

When I'm talking about fat, this is what I mean... And you need to salvage as much of it as possible, not whittle it off on the skin when skinning the animal...

Click image for larger version

Name:	161008-006.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	24523663

You get a sow that is this fat, you won't need to add fat.

Comment

2 parts venison & 1 part wild hog. Add 20% pure pork fat.

Makes a good ground meat

Season ground meat with sausage seasoning ingredients and it makes great ground sausage or link sausage.

Don't add the pork fat to the combo ground meats and the combo ground meat make good spaghetti sauce and also chili

Comment

Done it a great deal when we make sausage. It’s okay, but we grew frustrated with the annual inconsistency we had when comparing batches from year to year. IMHO wild pork is about the same consistency as venison in fat so the sausage tends to be a little drier when compare to venison and commercial pork shoulders. We prefer for consistency and moved away from mixing venison and wild pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

If possible I hang hog wash down with Dawn and tire brush..Then start to skin one leg cut out a thin steak fry and eat if its good ..Then I continue skinning :if its fonky it goes to yotes.(saltwaterslick.mentioned taste test) ...Most 90% of what I kill are great only now and then I get a OLD BOAR thats fonky..

Make a lot of sausage (pan and link)..around 50/50 unless hog is extremely fat then then I backoff some on pork or trim some fat from pork .

Make some pure pork sausage too just watch fat content..

Our Family fav is simply(garlic /salt /black pepper)if want kick add a lil red pepper..

That bath I mentioned is really good if you got water..gets rid of ticks /fleas and nasty stuff hogs root in mud/crap.....You end up with a clean white hog (instead of muddy fat)

Someone mentioned Beef Brisket ..we grind it and Deer about 50 /50 makes great Hamburger meat ...some really fat Brisket require less and more deer..be your own judge

Comment

Working...
                          X