Glands on a wild hog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
    Whoa! Did that ever make my stomach growl! Can't wait until deer season ends so I can re-start hog hunting!!!!

And, the gray grapes are likely lymph nodes---just trim 'em out.
    It was delish.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      I've never taken the time to figure or find out what they were. I just cut and move on..
      I've always removed them because they look nasty . Word on the street is it adds a real gamey flavor.

Comment

Yessir they are lymph nodes and all mammals have them. There's a big one in the fat on the front side of each hind quarter and also in a similar location on the shoulders... Often they wind up in sausage because on a real fat animal, they aren't visible unless you slice the fat up in that area... If you do not remove them and they do wind up in your sausage, if you get a bite of one, you won't like that sausage much... When I was a kid growing up squirrel hunting, my dad taught me to cut em out of squirrels too. There's also a long string of them in the front portion of the neck of deer n hogs on either side of the esophagus. They are much smaller, but there's a bunch of 'em.

Those are the only "glands" I can think of that anyone would be talking about unless it's a javelina. They have a big old "tete" on their back above their hind quarters. It is full of stuff that smells a lot like a skunk... When skinning the animal, just stay away from it and it will skin off with the hide as you skin. Do NOT cut it out ahead of time as you will get the "stank" on the surrounding meat from the hair of the animal... If you do that, you for dang sure won't like javelina meat!!

Comment

Don't think they have anything other than the normal lumps like deer have inside the hindquarters and such. You may be thinking of the Javelina scent gland, if so it's too late for you if you haven't already removed it and you' have a javelina.

Comment

Yeah, if you search there is a thread here somewhere that contains pics of cutting the glands out of the hams. It was several years ago and I think the pics were actually on another forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Steven Rinella from the show meat eater points out where the glands are

Comment

There are also small ones in the center of the hams between the muscles near the bone too. I separate my hams by the muscle structure and remove that one too. It's pretty easy to find too as it's in the fat pocket about 1/2 way between the ball joint and knee joint between the 2 big muscles and above that big "calf" style muscle... It's not a very big one and not really a big deal if you do miss it. But I try to take 'em out.

Comment

I guess I have never noticed these Gray Grape glands on the pigs or deer that I have cleaned over the past 43 years. I let bigger Boar pigs get eaten by Coyotes and Earthworms. But I clean small boars and Sows. I will be on a Meat Haul Week starting the day after Christmas and will probably clean 12 deer and 6 or 7 pigs. I'm gonna search for Gray Grapes or any funky looking growths.
                  Last edited by lilavidhunter; 12-23-2017, 08:27 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Try this:

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
                      I guess I have never noticed these Gray Grape glands on the pigs or deer that I have cleaned over the past 43 years. I let bigger Boar pigs get eaten by Coyotes and Earthworms. But I clean small boars and Sows. I will be on a Meat Haul Week starting the day after Christmas and will probably clean 12 deer and 6 or 7 pigs. I'm gonna search for Gray Grapes or any funky looking growths.

1:54 in this video it pops out after he cuts around the hip socket. Looks like a gray bean or grape just below the hip socket.

He cuts it out but doesn't mention it at 5:10 ish too.

BTW...this dude is horrible. He takes forever boning out this hind quarter. I swear he must have a bad case of ADHD, because he never stays and finishes a cut....just keeps on moving around. Holy cow!.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjZxwhmql8"]Butcher whitetail deer quarter hind leg - YouTube[/ame]
                      Last edited by Smart; 12-23-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I don't know, but I'll ask the next coyote I see.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post

If you find them please post pics

Comment

Originally posted by Cody2306 View Post
                            If you find them please post pics

His is encapsulated by fat here but most I have seen down here are just the gray grape with a little fat around them

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCYnaUul-d4"]Bob shows how to remove deer glands - YouTube[/ame]
                            Last edited by Smart; 12-23-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              His is encapsulated by fat here but most I have seen down here are just the gray grape with a little fat around them

Bob shows how to remove deer glands - YouTube

So basically I can just trim all the white fat and get in between the cuts and look for those and ill be fine. Thanks for the vid.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody2306 View Post
                                So basically I can just trim all the white fat and get in between the cuts and look for those and ill be fine. Thanks for the vid.

Yes, basically if you trim most of the excess off the bulk meat, you will get the lymph nodes with it.

In other words, I don’t specifically look for them, but I see them when trimming up Meat as I cut other trimmings off.

Comment

Working...
                                X