• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chase and AMEX

Comment

Chase Sapphire.

Comment

If you're going to only have one card, do not choose American Express.. I used to have one and found once a week or so, I'd run into a place that didn't except it. Visa or MasterCard is the way to go.. other than that it's just a points game.

I like the Fidelity card because I don't have to think about it, just 2% all the time. I put everything I can on it, much of it is work expenses. Year to date I have deposited over $500 of rewards into my investment/retirement account. Compile this over 30 years and it should help me retire earlier than without it.

Comment

Dave Ramsey ... why pay 4% to earn 2% ....

Comment

Originally posted by NBK75 View Post
            Who is paying 4%? HEB will not give me a discount on groceries paying with cash. I earn 2% back on that and do not pay interest.

Comment

None. Cut my one credit card up after leaving the Dave Ramsey Show live in San Antonio in 2012. Wife and I have been paying cash since and no debts.

All the arguers talking about how you make back money on credit cards and HEB cards, etc. don't understand that the whole premise is that when you use a card (of any sort) it is much easier to spend more. They did studies and monitored the brain activity for people using cash vs. card and there is a sadness type brain function when you use cash. No such thing when you swipe a card.

If that isn't true then go buy 100 bags of corn and 100 bottles of vanilla from HEB and let me know which one is harder to do - cash or card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                Who is paying 4%? HEB will not give me a discount on groceries paying with cash. I earn 2% back on that and do not pay interest.
                No point in arguing with people who are ignorant to a topic.

No interest is ever accrued on any card if you pay the balance off in full by the due date. Some months I may have $20 report as the balance for the next month, some months I may have $1000. As long as I pay it off by the due date, I’m good.

To the OP:
                I use multiple cards, but the best one I have for cashback is the Citi Double Cash. 2% on everything, 1% when you buy, 1% when you pay it off. I have a discover for rotating catagories and an AMEX for groceries mostly. Wife has a Quicksilver.

The easiest to use in terms of rewards are the double cash, Quicksilver and discover.

You could argue the Quicksilver offers better than 1.5% cash back. They give you your rewards as soon as it posts on your account, the others make you wait until the statement cuts.

Amex is the least friendly. You can only use $25 at a time. So if I have 49.99 in rewards, I’ll have 24.99 sitting there until the next statement.

So, that’s something to consider as well. Sounds like chase freedom unlimited may be best for you from your previous history with them, plus they’ll let you transfer your cash back to points if you ever want to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                  No point in arguing with people who are ignorant to a topic.

No interest is ever accrued on any card if you pay the balance off in full by the due date. Some months I may have $20 report as the balance for the next month, some months I may have $1000. As long as I pay it off by the due date, I’m good.

To the OP:
                  I use multiple cards, but the best one I have for cashback is the Citi Double Cash. 2% on everything, 1% when you buy, 1% when you pay it off. I have a discover for rotating catagories and an AMEX for groceries mostly. Wife has a Quicksilver.

The easiest to use in terms of rewards are the double cash, Quicksilver and discover.

You could argue the Quicksilver offers better than 1.5% cash back. They give you your rewards as soon as it posts on your account, the others make you wait until the statement cuts.

Amex is the least friendly. You can only use $25 at a time. So if I have 49.99 in rewards, I’ll have 24.99 sitting there until the next statement.

So, that’s something to consider as well. Sounds like chase freedom unlimited may be best for you from your previous history with them, plus they’ll let you transfer your cash back to points if you ever want to do that.
                  So, there is no interest if you pay the card off by the due date every month? The wife and I had thought about getting one just to us for gas and groceries and then paying it off each month.

We have no debt and owe nothing so our credit number is slowly falling. We listen to Dave about 15 years ago and paid everything off and have been living good however, when starting to looking at a new house it sucks because the credit score slowly declining. And banks pay close attention to them even if you could pay cash for a house.

The whole credit system is for the birds I think.

Comment

Because we pay cash for everything no need to pay a interest rate. Live within your means is what we live by.
                    I assure you I live within my means. I'm not getting a credit card to finance something I'm using it to help my credit score which is already at 760. But thanks for the wonderful help you so graciously offered. Bye Felicia.

Comment

Oh this will be good.

Do you drive a fancy car now? Got a big house? Did Dave Ramsey help make you rich?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Oh this will be good.

Do you drive a fancy car now? Got a big house? Did Dave Ramsey help make you rich?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                          Are you buying me that for Christmas?

I can use it to start my BBQ pit at the plant

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                            So, there is no interest if you pay the card off by the due date every month? The wife and I had thought about getting one just to us for gas and groceries and then paying it off each month.

We have no debt and owe nothing so our credit number is slowly falling. We listen to Dave about 15 years ago and paid everything off and have been living good however, when starting to looking at a new house it sucks because the credit score slowly declining. And banks pay close attention to them even if you could pay cash for a house.

The whole credit system is for the birds I think.

No sir. I have been putting everything on my credit card for the last year or so and love it. Before I was 50/50 with credit and debit. I haven’t paid interest on a credit card in years.

Comment

Everyone above is mentioning paying it off every month. Where is the 4% going?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie_bowtech View Post
                                None. Cut my one credit card up after leaving the Dave Ramsey Show live in San Antonio in 2012. Wife and I have been paying cash since and no debts.

All the arguers talking about how you make back money on credit cards and HEB cards, etc. don't understand that the whole premise is that when you use a card (of any sort) it is much easier to spend more. They did studies and monitored the brain activity for people using cash vs. card and there is a sadness type brain function when you use cash. No such thing when you swipe a card.

If that isn't true then go buy 100 bags of corn and 100 bottles of vanilla from HEB and let me know which one is harder to do - cash or card?

I hear that argument from time to time, and I don’t buy it. The only caveat is it may be the case for people who don’t handle money well in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X