Lease Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
    He was asked to sit with him but didn’t.
    That guy is gone and if you want any chance of staying on the lease you've got to take action quick to demonstrate to the landowner/manager that you're serious about the rules and can be relied on to enforce them among your group if you have to.
    I'd let as many lease holders know as possible and be on the phone to the manager/landowner asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      Come again?

What does tree service gone wrong have anything to do with a guest killing and Elk he shouldn't have?
      Nothing actually and my apologies to the OP. No intent to sidetrack this thread.

I was just responding to the all guests are leeches guy. I probably should have started a separate leeches thread, hypothetically.

Back to the OP's subject, the lease member knew the rules and if he failed to follow them and sit with his guest he should own up to the mistake and deal directly with the landowner as well as the rest of the group.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
        How big was it?
        Finally... somebody asks an important question.

Not that it matters...

But I want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
          So, what do you call a guy that shops for tree service at his lease house and then when he can't afford the quoted price negotiates some hog hunting in exchange for a lower price?

Something like come on down drink my beer, eat my steaks and do some hog hunting. Then tells the tree guy someone else will be there to do the ground work and all he needs is someone that can drop the tree without hitting the nearby building. After that go check out the property and do some hunting.

Sounds like a fair trade? Until, the ground guy doesn't show up. No big deal just a little more work and time, then one more thing and one more thing later, the day is spent. Including, cutting shooting lanes on the property where said hog hunting would have taken place. Not likely after running chain saws for 8 hours.

Only, to find out that the guy doesn't have enough money to even pay for the heavily discounted price originally agreed to. Let alone the one more things added throughout the day.

Is that guy a leech, or something else?
          I have no idea what you said here!

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
            I hear ya. But I don’t see how a land owner could list every species that is off limits. Your post is a good example. Those animals are no where near native and could go anywhere low fenced. I’m not saying this to argue with anyone, I just don’t see how a LO could have a legal document that covers a non native species in a low fence. I’ll bow down and read on to learn.
            He could very easily say you CAN kill 1 whitetail buck, 2 whitetail doe, and all the hogs you want ... NOTHING ELSE. So he's essentially telling you that everything else is off limits.

Comment

I agree the member should be kicked off for not following the rules, as for all the talk about the guest paying this or that I can't see how your going to make that stick. This year for the third year running on a friends property that I hunt we've had problems with guests , in two days two guests had 11 shots killing four deer but wounding and losing 6 deer including the best buck I've seen on the property (140-150 ten point) the land owner asked me why I stopped hunting and l told him what had happened and what I thought of the guests. There are honest mistakes like shooting a nubbin buck thinking it's a doe or misjudging a buck but shooting a elk when you've been told it's off limits is not one

Comment

If their lease contract states they can kill 1 buck, I doubt that means he can kill an elk even if low fence. I would let landowner know and give him the contact info for guest and lease member who brought guest, so he can send a bill.

Comment

I hope for the sake of your group you have a very understanding landowner. It would be a shame for one rule breaker to ruin things for everyone. Our lease boss would for sure run the member no questions asked. No excuse for that to happen.

Comment

Again...why post this as a hypothetical question?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      Again...why post this as a hypothetical question?
                      I think people like to be coy, but it's hard to keep the story line going. Saw something similar on Facebook over the weekend in a community group. Someone asked a question "for a friend", then proceeded to give every detail possibly known about the situation. She got really defensive too, must be real close to the friend.

Comment

I may have missed this, but had the guest actually been told not to shoot the elk, or did the lease member forget to tell him?

Comment

I may have missed this, but had the guest actually been told not to shoot the elk, or did the lease member forget to tell him?
                          Would it change anything either way?

Comment

He should have been sitting right next to his guest. He could not have forgot to tell him if he was sitting right there. (which was the rule according to the original post.) This is the part that is the complete disregard for the rules and a total lack of respect for the rules and other lease members.

The part about actually shooting the elk could have been more innocent on the part of the person/guest who did it. He may have thought it was ok. Ultimately it is the lease member that must take responsibility for it. There are not too many people I would turn loose in one of my blinds and let shoot a deer of their choosing. In fact I cannot think of any off the top of my head.

Comment

So what's the final outcome?

We need closure.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                                Would it change anything either way?
                                If the lease member told him not to shoot it and deliberately went ahead; that’s one thing. If nobody told the guest he wasn’t supposed to shoot it, then he gets somewhat of a pass, and the lease member is the guilty bozo!

The guest could be a novice hunter or, for what we know, a first time hunter (we never get the whole story), and he could have innocently shot it.

Comment

Working...
                                X