Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bow hunting jacket(cold weather)...what do y'all recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
    Thermacare low back belt. They last about 8 hours place it over your kidneys and you will be plenty warm. When I had my Harley i would use them on very cold days and they worked like a charm.
    That's a great idea! Hope I can remember this.

Comment

I’m a pansy when it gets cold, so what I put on is an under armor cold gear base layer, then a rocky fleece base layer, then a UA scent control midweight zip-up, then a UA scent control jacket. I’ve shot plenty out of a pop up without any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        Cotton sucks for keeping you warm. It holds moisture and gets cold. I hunted last weekend in that weather and never was cold. Here's what I had on:

UnderArmour Heat Gear knock off turtle neck under layer from Walmart (not super tight, just snug). Light weight merino wool shirt over that. Then a Cabela's Berber Fleece with Windshear jacket. That's good down into the 20s, as long as the wind isn't strong. If it's colder than that, I'll add a Patagonia Nano Puff under the Berber Fleece. It's thin and really light weight, but very warm. The Berber Fleece is super quiet too.

It's important to wear gloves, neck/face gaiter, and a warm hat. I like a regular cap with a toboggan on top to cover my ears.

Bottom layers were merino socks, merino long johns, and camo hunting pants. If it's super cold and I'll be sitting still, I'll add a fleece under pant to the mix. I just wore my snake boots. Never got cold. If it's in the teens or single digits, I'll wear 600 gram Thinsulate and Gore-tex boots.

A big key for everything is to not wear anything that is too tight. You don't want to hinder circulation. You don't need baggy and bulky, but don't go too tight.
        If its in the single digits then i will be in a box blind with a heater or drinking coffee next to my fireplace.

Comment

Be smart about your layers and you can get by with minimal bulk. Moisture wicking base layer, followed by Merino Wool then on to your outer layer. I have a Kryptek down insulation packable jacket and a soft shell outer layer. Depending on the temps I may or may not use the down, but its always in the pack. Strip outer layers when walking in and put them on when you get in stand so you don't build up too much body heat.

Comment

You guys are a lot tougher than me- I just plug a battery in and set the temp I like it. If it gets too hot I turn it down. Gets cool turn it up. Pants and socks they need to improve because can not adjust temp settings. I usually Atric Shoeld my feet with hot hands

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              Shane when you say add a fleece under pant to the mix do you wear those over your camo hunting pants, or under? And are you talking about something along the lines of these Cabela's Outfitter Series Men's Wooltimate™ Pants with 4MOST WINDSHEAR?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cloth...9.uts?slotId=0
              I have some Patagonia fleece bottoms. I wear them over my merino long johns and under my camo hunting pants. They're not outerwear pants. They're just a warm under layer.

Also, in my post above I mentioned an Under Armour knock off. It's a Cold Gear knock off, not Heat Gear. Thicker shirt designed for cold weather, not the thin stuff for when it's hot outside. It's the first layer I remove when it starts warming up. It doesn't breath like Merino does, but it's warm when it's really cold.
              Last edited by Shane; 12-14-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Sitka

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Cotton sucks for keeping you warm. It holds moisture and gets cold. I hunted last weekend in that weather and never was cold. Here's what I had on:

UnderArmour Heat Gear knock off turtle neck under layer from Walmart (not super tight, just snug). Light weight merino wool shirt over that. Then a Cabela's Berber Fleece with Windshear jacket. That's good down into the 20s, as long as the wind isn't strong. If it's colder than that, I'll add a Patagonia Nano Puff under the Berber Fleece. It's thin and really light weight, but very warm. The Berber Fleece is super quiet too.

It's important to wear gloves, neck/face gaiter, and a warm hat. I like a regular cap with a toboggan on top to cover my ears.

Bottom layers were merino socks, merino long johns, and camo hunting pants. If it's super cold and I'll be sitting still, I'll add a fleece under pant to the mix. I just wore my snake boots. Never got cold. If it's in the teens or single digits, I'll wear 600 gram Thinsulate and Gore-tex boots.

A big key for everything is to not wear anything that is too tight. You don't want to hinder circulation. You don't need baggy and bulky, but don't go too tight.
                  Shane covered a lot of the important points. Staying warm is about keeping your core warm. Wearing a vest under your jacket makes a big difference with out restricting your arm movement. You also won't believe how much heat you lose through your head and neck. I like a turtle neck and insulated cap for these areas and if it's really cold I'll pull up my jacket hood.

Another issue many people overlook is sweating. If your wet, you'll never stay warm. Use a moisture wicking layer and then your next layer should be able to absorb that moisture. Your outer layer should be wind proof but breathable. Walking in to your stand is the biggest cause of sweat build up. I will leave my jacket and over pants unzipped or will even leave them off until I get to the stand if I have a long walk.

Comment

Working...
                  X