No announcement yet.

Interesting kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best solution to people getting upset over someone else's hunting is to mind your own business. Hunters have been head shooting deer long before mr I'm a ranch manager/ deer breeder came along to make a business out of what was once a way of life. The pig id say was shot , the axis looks like a deformity. Thx for sharing

Comment

[QUOTE=Bradical BH;12998448]Best solution to people getting upset over someone else's hunting is to mind your own business. Hunters have been head shooting deer long before mr I'm a ranch manager/ deer breeder came along to make a business out of what was once a way of life. The pig id say was shot , the axis looks like a deformity. Thx for sharing[/QUOT

Shooting animals in the head was once a way of life...... do tell?lol

Comment

that shows how tuff them son of a guns are....

Comment

... they pretty tough
          Attached Files

Comment

I shot a hog in a trap a few years ago with an AR15 Wilde and initially the same thing happened. Failed to compensate for the scope at close range and blew his lower jaw off. All that did was really PO him and he did his best to get thru the wire at me but I did not feel good about it at all! I quickly adjusted and the next shot DRT with a heart/lung placement. At least for me, I HATE not making a 1st shot quick kill no matter what the critter is! I am all about ethical shots.

This is why I don't do the "ear" shots so many always talk about? NOT criticizing so I'll just say I'm not that confident of my shot placement? I guess the older I get the more I don't rely on the past days of pinpoint accuracy at any range.

Just the way my Dad taught me when I was a "young'un." Personally, when I "harvest" any game animal, the spiritual part of my soul is to honor and take them humanely? Not apologizing for my remarks, just the way I was raised and hunt. My choice.....

Comment

Seen that a few times. Hogs don't hold still, which leads to bad head shots.

Comment

We had a 3 1/2 legged hog on our S. Tx lease---had been shot in the foreleg and it healed up about 4-5" shorter than the other one. One of my hog hunters finally nailed him. Also had one very similar to the hog with the missing jaw, only I killed it 10 days after another lease member (who drank too much in the blind) attempted to head shoot it. When it walked out of the brush into the sendero and started towards me, I couldn't see anything but head--had lost so much weight his body was next-to-nothing. He would try and pick up the corn on the ground and whenever his dangling jaw hit the ground he'd give a little squeal of pain. Finally turned broadside and I hit him with the 7-Mag. He ran off and I knew I hit him and really thought I had wounded him again. Walked down to where he had been at the shot and he was maybe 5 yds off in the brush. Smelled really bad and I dragged him off to the buzzard buffet. 2 weeks later he was still laying there--neither the buzzards, cara-caras, or coyotes had touched him.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                  We had a 3 1/2 legged hog on our S. Tx lease---had been shot in the foreleg and it healed up about 4-5" shorter than the other one. One of my hog hunters finally nailed him. Also had one very similar to the hog with the missing jaw, only I killed it 10 days after another lease member (who drank too much in the blind) attempted to head shoot it. When it walked out of the brush into the sendero and started towards me, I couldn't see anything but head--had lost so much weight his body was next-to-nothing. He would try and pick up the corn on the ground and whenever his dangling jaw hit the ground he'd give a little squeal of pain. Finally turned broadside and I hit him with the 7-Mag. He ran off and I knew I hit him and really thought I had wounded him again. Walked down to where he had been at the shot and he was maybe 5 yds off in the brush. Smelled really bad and I dragged him off to the buzzard buffet. 2 weeks later he was still laying there--neither the buzzards, cara-caras, or coyotes had touched him.
                  Wow! That made me feel a bit bad for the hog.

Comment

Snare?

Comment

Headshot snafu

Comment

Low probability, but Osteomylitis could be a natural cause.

cricman

Comment

You can't put lipstick on that pig

Comment

Ouch.

Comment

That is weird. You did that critter a favor. They are tough.

Comment

Interesting kill

I’ve shot a pig like that before. Crazy how they can survive.

I’ll see if I can find the pic. I think mine had a little bit more jaw left. Lol

Skinny
                                Last edited by Skinny; 12-09-2017, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X