• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JCBowHunter View Post
    This
    winner

Comment

You can check your thermostat by putting it in a pot of water on the stove. Should be able to watch it open and close as water temp goes up.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
        You can check your thermostat by putting it in a pot of water on the stove. Should be able to watch it open and close as water temp goes up.
        You can use a cooking thermometer in the water to see exactly what temp it starts to open since diff thermostats have diff temps. Have you checked the floor for dampness under the air box?

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
          You can use a cooking thermometer in the water to see exactly what temp it starts to open since diff thermostats have diff temps. Have you checked the floor for dampness under the air box?
          No dampness or coolant smell in the cab.

Comment

Heater core

Comment

Thermostat hung open???

Comment

I think I actually have 2 problems. A small leak up high on the radiator and the fan clutch. I'm going to put a clutch on it after work and then start looking for the leak.

Comment

also possible the heater core valve is stuck closed or the control cable to it is not working

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                    also possible the heater core valve is stuck closed or the control cable to it is not working
                    It doesn't have a valve. It is a continuous flow. Temp is controlled by the blend door that is working properly.

Comment

so does the heater hose from the engine get hot to touch after it has run for 5 min?
                      if it does that eliminates a lot of the potential gremlins.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                        so does the heater hose from the engine get hot to touch after it has run for 5 min?
                        if it does that eliminates a lot of the potential gremlins.
                        They get warm not hot. My main problem seems to be getting heat into the motor. Engine temp is only around 140 - 150 with a 195 thermostat. I really leaning towards the fan clutch. It spins by hand, but not as freely as it should I think.

Also, I noticed at O'Reilly's the other day, they make a Pre-1995 coolant for GM vehicles. I'm wondering if I need to put that in or if it is just a gimmick.

Comment

If engine temp. is at 140-150 the thermostat is hung open. New or not. The fan clutch won't keep the coolant from getting up to normal temp.

Another thought. Is thermostat in backwards?

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                            If engine temp. is at 140-150 the thermostat is hung open. New or not. The fan clutch won't keep the coolant from getting up to normal temp.

Another thought. Is thermostat in backwards?
                            It is in right. I'm thinking about replacing the new thermostat with another new thermostat also.

Comment

Randy-

One other thing you can do to troubleshoot is-- with a cold engine, remove radiator cap, crank engine then look in radiator to see if coolant is moving. With a cold eng. the thermostat should be closed preventing any coolant flow. When engine warms up to 195 the thermostat will open.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                                It is in right. I'm thinking about replacing the new thermostat with another new thermostat also.
                                Thermostats are weird. Usually they last almost forever. But about 15yrs ago I replaced one on my 93 Z71. It was fine for about 3 months. Then one day the truck started running hot. Only explanation was the 3 month old thermostat. Changed it and all went back to normal. It was stuck closed. Never had to change it again. Sold the truck about 4yrs ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X