Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Thinking About Coming off the Rage, What head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
    I have seen alot of mechanical fail, and no clue what you mean about poor blood trails with fixed??

Poor shot placement is probably more of a reason for no blood trails?
    Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    Kindly disagree. Blood trails have more to do with shot placement than broadheads in my opinion. I shoot the Ramcats that have cutting diameters almost as big as some mechanicals and larger than most other fixed blades and they fly like darts.
    Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
    Lol...this is funny
    No doubt shot placement is key not sure why y'all didn't see that. But a 2.5" hole is gonna bleed more than a 1" hole 100% of the time no matter the shot if they are in the same location. That's why I'd go ramcat if I was to use a fixed. The larger cutting diameter is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
      No doubt shot placement is key not sure why y'all didn't see that. But a 2.5" hole is gonna bleed more than a 1" hole 100% of the time no matter the shot if they are in the same location. That's why I'd go ramcat if I was to use a fixed. The larger cutting diameter is the way to go.
      True, the larger the hole, the more blood. That is common sense. Cutting surface area will actually have more impact on that than size of the hole...theoretically.

However, the larger the cutting surface, the less penetration (along with a million other factors such as blade angle, sharpness, size of the head or friction, etc.) Therefore, a large cutting mechanical broached has a better chance of only punching one hole (the high side if hunting elevated). One 2" hole on the high side will never bleed like two 1" holes.

Personally, I want the biggest hole possible with the highest chance of punching two holes. A mechanical is not your best option in this scenario.

Will it punch two holes? Yes. Will it as often as a fixed head? No.

Comment

Had the same problem as you I have switchcd to 125 grain rages with a heavier arrow and have shot deer in the shoulder and still had a good blood trail and he did not go far

Comment

Quad exodus or ramcats. Bad to the bone and cuts wicked holes.

Comment

True, the larger the hole, the more blood. That is common sense. Cutting surface area will actually have more impact on that than size of the hole...theoretically.

However, the larger the cutting surface, the less penetration (along with a million other factors such as blade angle, sharpness, size of the head or friction, etc.) Therefore, a large cutting mechanical broached has a better chance of only punching one hole (the high side if hunting elevated). One 2" hole on the high side will never bleed like two 1" holes.

Personally, I want the biggest hole possible with the highest chance of punching two holes. A mechanical is not your best option in this scenario.

I completely agree

Comment

^^^This^^^

A complete pass through with a low exit is the key to a good blood trail. Best chance for that is shooting a heavy cut on contact fixed blade...especially when busting through bones.
              If you aren't getting a complete pass through you will lose some animals sooner or later.

Comment

This...only broadheads in my quiver for 3 years now
                Just the standard Ramcat?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                  Just the standard Ramcat?
                  I shoot the 125 standard ramcat. 1.5" hole. Best broadhead I have found in respect to hole size and penetration. I can go into details, but don't want to bore you

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1404.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	24522328

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	24522329

My summer Axis with 125 grain Ramcat and the entrance hole. 32 yards with a full pass thru!

70#'s and a 595 grain arrow!

Comment

True! I don't have any isssue getting pass throughs with the mechanicals so that's my preference. Both are great broadheads depending on people's preference!

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                        nothing beats the magnus stinger for long range accuracy, and offers the best penetration at all ranges

but for the wider cut i suggest the black hornet, i have shot them out to 100 yards also
                        This all day long ^^^^

I too left rage. Magnus goes thru them like butter and many times they just stand there with blood pumping out and fall over dead at feeder.

Comment

QAD Exodus. Penetrate great and fly like a field point. Get the swept blades.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            [ATTACH]886528[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]886529[/ATTACH]

My summer Axis with 125 grain Ramcat and the entrance hole. 32 yards with a full pass thru!

70#'s and a 595 grain arrow!
                            What arrow do you shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by Truckman View Post
                              This all day long ^^^^

I too left rage. Magnus goes thru them like butter and many times they just stand there with blood pumping out and fall over dead at feeder.
                              Do you shoot the hornets?

Comment

Hard to beat the Magnus Black Hornet. I shoot the 125 grain

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                                X