X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadwood is a good series!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      I read the book a good while before the movie came out.
      Best western I ever read and I have read all of Zane Grey's books and most of McMurtry's. The movie was awesome but not as good as the book.
      Get the book and read it. You won't be sorry.
      You will regret, at least I did.
      I was on High school. I tied to read a little before bed. Ever up staying up all night. Did that two nights before I finished it. I was tired.

Comment

I thought this was a 'gotcha thread when some ol' boy posted about brokeback mountain earlier.

I have never watched the movie start-finish. Just caught parts of it here and there throughout the years. Sounds like I am late to a great party!

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
          I thought this was a 'gotcha thread when some ol' boy posted about brokeback mountain earlier.

I have never watched the movie start-finish. Just caught parts of it here and there throughout the years. Sounds like I am late to a great party!
          You are.
          But there's still time.
          It's a 6 hr movie

Comment

I forget what happened to Pea...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Comanche Moon is the best of the "others", Return To Lonesome Dove isn't bad but Jon Voigt never had a prayer after TLJ...still worth a watch though.

Read ALL the books.

I got a coffee table book for my birthday full of photos the producer took during filming. The forword is by Larry McMurtry, and the intro has a lot of facts and info about the birth of the movie, and a lot of facts about the cast and filming. Lonesome Dove originaly started as a script McMurtrey wrote for a movie in which he planned to cast John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Henry Fonda.....but it changed quite a bit before he wrote the novel in '85.
              ^^^
              THIS

The other movies will disappoint as no one can replace Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall in the roles of Call and Gus.

If you are looking to feed your appetite for more the books won't let you down...will actually exceed your expectations!

Lonesome Dove
              Streets of Laredo
              Deadman's Walk
              Comanche Moon

The first page of Deadman's Walk hooks you on the first page like no other writing I've encountered!

Comment

Life After Lonesome Dove...

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
                Went to one of the anniversary shows almost two years ago in Fort Worth. It was like 4 days long and the night I went it was Robert Duvall, Rick Scrhoder, Danny Glover, Chris Cooper (July)...was suppose to be Tommy Lee but you know he wasn't going to show up. Front row in the audience was the guys who played Dish and Jasper, and Diane Lane [emoji6]b

Cool things I learned from it was Schroder had never watched it until recently and actually took his kids to see the set on the ranch and talked about how it was all but gone. If you do a quick search on the internet this guy drove from up north to see it, knocked on Moody ranch door and they let him tour it...he took lots of pics of how it looked at that time.

Schroder also talked about how Tommy Lee wouldn't speak to him off the set but Duvall and Danny Glover did a bunch of stuff with him. Even pointed him to the direction of Mexico once night came lol. Little Newt liked to party.

Glover has never seen it!!!! Not a fan of watching stuff he worked in.

James Gardner was suppose to play Gus but was sick or schedule didn't work out (thank god)

Bunch of other stuff to like how each got their part. Duvall talked about how he copied an old rancher when he went to start riding horses to prepare for filming. He basically based how he walked and talked and moved off this one man.

Bobby Duvall was originally cast as Woodrow, but he wanted to be Gus.

Larry McMurtrys son James is in the movie, he's the one that goes to the whorehouse in Ogalalla with Newt and Allan, but stops on the stairs..."not me, I ain't goin in there"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Movie was made on our deer lease on the Moody Ranch South of Del Rio... We had to move some of our stands/feeders so they wouldn't be in the movie sets... Where the snake episode happened was actually in Sycamore Creek right beside our camp... If the camera had panned to the right about 1 more degree, our camp would have been in view...
                  Where Woodrow buried Gus is also on Sycamore Creek and one of my all time favorite turkey hunting spots... Got pics of my kids when they were little sitting on the porch of Lonesome Dove main house and of them lookin' out the hotel window down at me in main street... Of course the hotel burned down in the movie, but Mr. Moody mad 'em build it back... got pics of the old burned up piano that was lying beside the rebuilt hotel facade... and a facade is all it was... Whole building wasn't nothin' but a front facade and a staircase that went up to the window on the "second floor"... second floor was about 4 feet square... just enough room to stand at the window... Whole town was that way... just facades... House had one front room and no back... that's where all the cameras were positioned... Only 2 things that were really complete was the bridge and corral pens... Was a fascinating place, but alas, bein' built right on the Rio Grande, the fine upstanding citizens of Mexico have helped themselves to just about everything they could take down and float back across the river...
                  Wow, what memories!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                    I lost count of how many times I have watched it. I have slept with it on twice as many times. I have a VCR tape that has the whole 6 hour movie on it. With a DVD, it's multiple discs. It is a staple in my camper at the deer lease. Played it every night I was there. Infuriated my wife.

Little trivia--What's the name of Newt's horse?

Mouse

Comment

I remember how high my expectations were when I heard Duvall and Costner were working working together in open range. What a let down.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                        My dogs are named Augustus and Woodrow. One of my all time favorites.

I had a dog named Gus he died two weeks ago. My new pup is named Woodrow.
                        Both named after the characters in Lonesome Dove.

Comment

I might have watched it a time or two!!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                            I remember how high my expectations were when I heard Duvall and Costner were working working together in open range. What a let down.
                            What???????

One of the best gun fights ever is in Open Range.
                            Open Range is in my top five favorite movies

Comment

Life After Lonesome Dove...

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Movie was made on our deer lease on the Moody Ranch South of Del Rio... We had to move some of our stands/feeders so they wouldn't be in the movie sets... Where the snake episode happened was actually in Sycamore Creek right beside our camp... If the camera had panned to the right about 1 more degree, our camp would have been in view...

Where Woodrow buried Gus is also on Sycamore Creek and one of my all time favorite turkey hunting spots... Got pics of my kids when they were little sitting on the porch of Lonesome Dove main house and of them lookin' out the hotel window down at me in main street... Of course the hotel burned down in the movie, but Mr. Moody mad 'em build it back... got pics of the old burned up piano that was lying beside the rebuilt hotel facade... and a facade is all it was... Whole building wasn't nothin' but a front facade and a staircase that went up to the window on the "second floor"... second floor was about 4 feet square... just enough room to stand at the window... Whole town was that way... just facades... House had one front room and no back... that's where all the cameras were positioned... Only 2 things that were really complete was the bridge and corral pens... Was a fascinating place, but alas, bein' built right on the Rio Grande, the fine upstanding citizens of Mexico have helped themselves to just about everything they could take down and float back across the river... [emoji35]

When we were on that lease, the rancher told us they took most of it down due to being a fire hazard during the drought. We have heard some funny stories from the BP about how much weed the neighbors across the river tried to store in that old adobe hut though. So many stories from that lease, we always had an awesome time out there. You ain't lyin about the turkey hunting down in the pecan orchard, alot of big gobblers have met their maker down there in the springtime. Killed my 2nd biggest axis down there too, I was sitting on the hill across sycamore creek, was a "Poke" from that hill but it was a great spot. The duck hunting was insane on the river too, it just got out of hand there for awhile with the neighbors so we quit for a few yrs.
                              Last edited by Mossback; 12-05-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
                                When we were on that lease, the rancher told us they took most of it down due to being a fire hazard during the drought. We have heard some funny stories from the BP about how much weed the neighbors across the river tried to store in that old adobe hut though. So many stories from that lease, we always had an awesome time out there. You ain't lyin about the turkey hunting down in the pecan orchard, alot of big gobblers have met their maker down there in the springtime. Killed my 2nd biggest axis down there too, I was sitting on the hill across sycamore creek, was a "Poke" from that hill but it was a great spot. The duck hunting was insane on the river too, it just got out of hand there for awhile with the neighbors so we quit for a few yrs.
                                Great pic! That's the old burned up piano to the right in that pic!! Dang shame the family sold the ranch... was 31 years for us... Got my first turkey with a bow in those pecan trees... also shot my first tilapia with my bow in the creek... was some big suckers there! We used to shoot a bunch then fillet 'em and fry 'em up... The last year, I was chasing a GIANT axis and blew the only chance at him... never got the shot off... He was the biggest one I've ever seen! Good memories indeed!

Edit: ...and yes, duck hunting was incredible on the river and that big tank we had next to town!! I got my limit twice with my bow!! Was shooting a recurve back then and had a special dozen flu-flu's with those long prong judo points...
                                Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 12-05-2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X